ianyapxw

What do you like about canopy flight?

ianyapxw

Thanks for the sharing.

I need to add "sunset load" to my checklist of stuff I need to do.

Beware of sunset loads.

Sometimes they end up being night jumps.[:/]

Need to be aware of landing hazards around the dz.

Seriously
One Jump Wonder

Yeah. Those sunset high pulls are really the icing on the cake of life. Seeming the sun hit the buildings in Boston all the way to the mountains of NH is mind blowing to say the least. 17K hop n pops watching the sun go down over the Gulf of Mexico is better than a sharp stick in the eye...that's for sure.;)

Krip

Beware of sunset loads.

Sometimes they end up being night jumps.[:/]

Need to be aware of landing hazards around the dz.

Seriously

It would be cool to do a sunrise load, because, as you said, a sunset jump can quickly turn into a night jump.

So if you do a sunrise load, it would be safe and would just turn into a normal day.

A couple of my own goodies:
Jumping out first at 13k, and opening immedietely. Seeing the rest of the load fall is hectic, but a good reminder of how fast you really fall.
On one such jump, I had an eagle come fly right next to me, inspired me to start hang gliding.
Radical turns on smaller eliptical canopies, what a rush.
High speed front riser turns. (No swooping for me though)
Cross country with them big student canopies when the wind is pumping, and trying to land that beast.
Flying next to your friends..
OH, and the new custom colours you got, makes you smile after every opening.
BEACH LANDINGS, bare feet, with a super view!!!;)

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Still one of my most memorable jumps...

Sunset tandem, open at 5k, turn towards the gulf to see the spectacular sunset when my pilot buddy gives us a personal fly by, a pretty close one at that.
B|
Yeah, that tandem was hooked.
B|

Sunset load in Lake Wales many years ago, moon on port side of aircraft, sunset on the starboard.
B|

ianyapxw

I'm a student. Canopy plan = follow target assistant lol.

Sigh. Really? Your DZ doesn't teach you to think for yourself and that training aids (be they radios to talk you down, or target assistants) are just aids and that you should still be able to plan and execute a landing on your own?

If they haven't taught you that I hope they will, and soon. If they have taught you that and you're just following the target assistant blindly, I hope you'll soon recognize how much of this sport demands personal accountability.

My advice still stands. The canopy portion of the flight should be at least as important in your jump planning - on every single jump - as the freefall portion. Now and throughout your skydiving career.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Flying an inconsistent pattern and only using your toggles to fly your canopy to some unknown location in the landing area is as boring as doing solo jumps. Just like free fall; the better you get the more fun you have. I enjoy exploring my canopy's potential and my own ability to consistently make it do what i want. Start with the basics and be patient. Canopy stuff doesn't get boring for me it gets better with time.
Door! Green! Enjoy

aidanjames1

***What do you normally do when flying your canopy? I've just flown my landing pattern (as directed by the TA) hence why it was pretty meh for me.

My Parachute's usually open by 3000ft, so I do my checks then some big fast turns.

At 5 jumps, your time under canopy would be better spent learning how to fly it, not how to dive it.

ianyapxw

t. As someone new to this canopy flight thing, what do you enjoy about canopy flight?

Is it the roller-coaster feeling you get when you do sharp turns? I don't even dare to do a sharp turn on a 0.65 W/L. Or is it the ground rushing up only to slow down at the last moment?

It's everything. But you can't rush into it and you can't use what someone posts on here as a goal. Because some of them are over the top and shouldn't have been done. Some shouldn't be told on here

But you can make your own in time.

I have some night swoops into silly areas that would be hard to explain unless you have been to the particular DZ. Doing basically a hop and pop on one of those after 10pm from full altitude over SDC. What happened after that still makes me wonder what I was thinking.

Convincing a pilot to take a load up with grounds winds that wer... well.. high.(don't recall numbers) Making it into a cross country 21 miles out at only just over 8k AGL per Center as we were getting into restricted airspace. That jump my logbook shows on a 288 but I know the 2 guys I were with took 320ish Man-o-war? We were short so we went up again only 16 miles out as winds slightly settled. Took a Stiletto 107 on that one while they still took the Student gear.

Make your own experiences in time as suits you and your skill set allows. No reason to make them radical or testing unless that is your nature and you develop the skill set to go with that. Many will have more fun and thrill not pushing the envelope and I consider them lucky. I am envious. Time will tell what direction you go but just let it happen naturally as you learn and develop as a jumper. And if a canopy is only to get you down safely that is ok also. So long as you can use it to do that proficiently
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

labrys

At 5 jumps, your time under canopy would be better spent learning how to fly it, not how to dive it.

At 28 jumps, your time here would be better spent listening a bit more and talking a bit less.

Fair enough. In the interests of discussion would you like to expand on this? Do you disagree with my opinion that at 5 jumps this jumper shouldn't be concentrating on doing big fast turns under canopy?

"big" and "fast" is all relative. At 5 jumps and at 28 jumps you should be pulling on anything and everything to figure out how the canopy will react and also ask your instructors for some good drills under canopy. Just be sure you stop playing once you get to your hard deck and make sure no one else is around you. Id rather see a student play with their canopy than be afraid to touch anything!

"big" and "fast" is all relative. At 5 jumps and at 28 jumps you should be pulling on anything and everything to figure out how the canopy will react and also ask your instructors for some good drills under canopy. Just be sure you stop playing once you get to your hard deck and make sure no one else is around you. Id rather see a student play with their canopy than be afraid to touch anything!

+1

Although it may be best to check with an instructor before 'pulling on anything and everything'.