ridebmxbikes

don't have to buy beer after 1000 jumps?

councilman24

Whether you drink or not, whether you want to buy 'beer' (which can be cupcakes if you want..and it is a lot like bringing treats to grade school) by leaving when your done you are missing out on where most of the learning used to and still should take place. We couldn't go home and watch youtube videos by ourselves. We hung out at the DZ all WEEKEND and learned all we could from the old farts. If there was still more of that done we wouldn't have to keep correcting things like unstowed brake lines.

God forbid you should be around for a safety meeting.:)

I also think it's hardly an all or nothing proposition. I very very very rarely "go big" anymore; for me, at the end of the jump day I'll have one or two beers. I of course stay conservative if I'm the one who needs to drive us home, but generally, I don't get beyond two even if we are staying overnight at the DZ, as I just don't recover well and I like my sleep. :D We have an RV at the DZ, so we will often be there late, but go to bed early even when the party crowd is staying up much later. There's times when I stick around after hours and don't even drink. Even if people are partying, it takes quite a while for it to turn from "a few people standing around with beers in their hands planning out dinner runs and telling NSTIW stories" to "crazy revelry around the bonfire." The first part is is pretty mellow and plenty valuable for growing friendships and sharing knowledge.

Staying over means we're around to experience the slow (slower for those who did go big!) waking up of the dropzone in the morning, where more good discussion is held over coffee.

As for the beer, like others mentioned, once you're over 1K you don't have as many firsts, but when you do, it's good form to buy some beer. Heck, I bought beer a few weeks ago just because I hadn't in a while, not because I'd had any firsts. Our beer fridge is usually well stocked with the plenty of newer jumpers we're bringing up, but I figured it couldn't hurt to add some more. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The last time I bought beer under any form of rules was my most recent cutaway. My main and freebag landed in a nearby trailer park and a couple folks there were a big help retrieving them off their trailers so I asked them what kind of beer they drank and took care of them.

The time before that I botched my setup (too high/forward) shooting video of a formation swoop, passed between Tippie and JT as they came to a stop, and landed my canopy landed on the packing tent. It doesn't matter how many jumps you have, that's always beer.

/edited to clarify that it wasn't that bad of a setup.

champu

It doesn't matter how many jumps you have, that's always beer.

I agree that some things are just a beer fine, no matter who you are.

And most of the others still apply if you want them to. I know I do... in fact I owe beer right now.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I appreciate the responses! From what I took of this maybe there are some groups out there that don't buy beer for achievements after 1000 but ultimately it is a volunteer participation thing. I can't and don't see my friend just never buying beer again but we were just having a silly debate. Going by the votes I win but I guess by others comments he's not exactly wrong in his statement either.

Anyone know if the rule was more popular before the turbine plane days when 1000 jumps was much less common? He did do about 200 jumps back in the late 60's to early 70's. I'm thinking that's where he probably got it from but it just kinda died out along the way?

I don't drink, but I've bought my share of beer. And enjoyed the fruits of "paying my dues."

Because those who I shared it with understood the real purpose of the "Beer Rules" too.

Hell years ago...I bought beer for a whole record attempt - FIRST time I ever got red-carded! :ph34r:

May not have been such a good idea - Got invited back on one, said I wasn't big-way current --- they said we know, that's WHY you're invited! ! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nobody was/is ever forced to buy beer or anything else. I/we always as one of the many traditions of skydiving that formed the community. Go read United We Fall by Pat works for a taste of what the skydiving community used to be, and still is at some dropzones. Available free on line.

You know if you wanted experienced folks to jump with it was nice to be.part of the family.

And I've bought lots of "beer" since 1000 jumps. It's nice to share.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

"Whether you drink or not, whether you want to buy 'beer' (which can be cupcakes if you want..and it is a lot like bringing treats to grade school) by leaving when your done you are missing out on where most of the learning used to and still should take place... We hung out at the DZ all WEEKEND and learned all we could from the old farts."

I hear ya. I often only have Sundays to jump. Everyone tends to leave earlier for home, then. On the Saturdays that I'm @a DZ, the beer light always seems to come on, & come on brightly. I've gotten plenty of advice & tips from up-jumpers, & said Thank You w/a case. That's usually when I buy the stuff. I just don't like being around when the music gets loud, & the drinking gets louder. Staying later wouldn't help me much w/getting sage advice from the old Dawgs, anyway. Most of them leave when that light comes on. too :P.

"The time sparky feels a sting from a 200 jump wonder I'LL BUY BEER."

Then, you owe beer, Terry.

I say you owe. I don't care who you are. at 100. a thousand and every 1000 there after. but I'm an old fart and ymmv
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

PiLFy

"Whether you drink or not, whether you want to buy 'beer' (which can be cupcakes if you want..and it is a lot like bringing treats to grade school) by leaving when your done you are missing out on where most of the learning used to and still should take place... We hung out at the DZ all WEEKEND and learned all we could from the old farts."

I hear ya. I often only have Sundays to jump. Everyone tends to leave earlier for home, then. On the Saturdays that I'm @a DZ, the beer light always seems to come on, & come on brightly. I've gotten plenty of advice & tips from up-jumpers, & said Thank You w/a case. That's usually when I buy the stuff. I just don't like being around when the music gets loud, & the drinking gets louder. Staying later wouldn't help me much w/getting sage advice from the old Dawgs, anyway. Most of them leave when that light comes on. too :P.

"The time sparky feels a sting from a 200 jump wonder I'LL BUY BEER."

Then, you owe beer, Terry.

You keep thinking Butch.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

billvon

If someone asks "so do I have to buy beer after my first . . . " the answer is always yes.

Actually that attitude pisses me off to be honest. I'm all for beer fines and rules. Not everyone is rolling in cash and hitting up innocent novices/students every time they blink for a carton is just greedy. Sadly I see too many people who think that the new(er) members of the sport are their free beer fund.

I'm at a point where to be honest I buy beer simply because it has been a while and I've had lots of free beer.

To me beer rules are there to celebrate major accomplishments or infringements. I've got a friend who works in the sport who religiously puts on a carton for every 100 jumps - at $70 a carton (local rates) that is a significant portion of her income and I strongly disagree with it.

Also if people are going to drink the free beer GIVE back to the sport, actually get off your backside and do a 'freebie' jump or give advice - don't just leech off the newbies (not directed at you BV)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The answer is always yes if they ask. But they are not forced to.

I haven't seen anyplace where it has been "enforced", but more just a common way of getting the community together to talk over a cold one.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

nigel99

I'm at a point where to be honest I buy beer simply because it has been a while and I've had lots of free beer.

This.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

nigel99

***If someone asks "so do I have to buy beer after my first . . . " the answer is always yes.

Actually that attitude pisses me off to be honest. I'm all for beer fines and rules. Not everyone is rolling in cash and hitting up innocent novices/students every time they blink for a carton is just greedy. Sadly I see too many people who think that the new(er) members of the sport are their free beer fund.

To me beer rules are there to celebrate major accomplishments or infringements. I've got a friend who works in the sport who religiously puts on a carton for every 100 jumps - at $70 a carton (local rates) that is a significant portion of her income and I strongly disagree with it.

Also if people are going to drink the free beer GIVE back to the sport, actually get off your backside and do a 'freebie' jump or give advice - don't just leech off the newbies (not directed at you BV)

And that is one of the big differences in the sport today. Back in the day no one was pressured to buy beer and they were just a welcome in the group without it. Weather it is beer or root beer floats the goal is the same. The noob gets to meet the other jumpers, friend ships were made and bonds were built. Information was passed along and knowledge was given and learned. It made the noob feel part of the group. Today the noobs can't be bothered and they get their feeling hurt if they are not patted on the head and told how wonderful they are.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

councilman24

Nobody was/is ever forced to buy beer or anything else.

I did not use the word "forced". I said "pressured". Peer pressure is powerful in this sport - just look at all the people who get hurt swooping because they want to imitate the cool kids. With so many people going overboard applying peer pressure, it can be implied in the noobie's mind that if he does not buy beer, that he will be ostracized because of it. Or that the only reason he's tolerated is because he provides beer. And those are wrong messages to send.

Boogers

***Nobody was/is ever forced to buy beer or anything else.

I did not use the word "forced". I said "pressured". Peer pressure is powerful in this sport - just look at all the people who get hurt swooping because they want to imitate the cool kids. With so many people going overboard applying peer pressure, it can be implied in the noobie's mind that if he does not buy beer, that he will be ostracized because of it. Or that the only reason he's tolerated is because he provides beer. And those are wrong messages to send.

Peer pressure implies role models ~ Maybe if n00bs are feeling 'pressured' they need to look for different ones?

Good decision making in Skydiving...as in life, are paramount in successfully achieving your primary goals.

IF one of those goals is to merely 'fit in'...buying beer is cheap admission.

Boogers

***IF one of those goals is to merely 'fit in'...buying beer is cheap admission.

New guys should fit in and be accepted as one of the gang, even if they don't buy beer.

I agree 100%...that's MY point. IF they don't feel like they do - it's on THEM.

IOW...they should grow a spine. If they're letting so called 'peer pressure' affect their behavior, they are in for a lotta aches, pains & tearful entries in their diary. :D

>Back in the day no one was pressured to buy beer and they were just a welcome
>in the group without it.

Hmm. You go back farther than I do, but 23 years ago there was about as much pressure to buy beer as there is today. Even at my home DZ where having two 182's meant a big weekend.