Doug_Davis

Mount Everest is happening

I know some people here have speculated about the possibility of doing a BASE wingsuit jump from Everest. Seems its happening come May this year.

In the 61 years since Edmund Hillary and sherpa Tenzing Norgay reached the top of Mount Everest, most of the 5,000-plus people have descended from the summit the same way they came up: on foot. A few have paraglided down.

Joby Ogwyn has other plans.

Everest men: On top of the world in 1963
The ultra-daredevil plans to plunge off the world's tallest mountain in May while wearing a custom wing-suit equipped with cameras to share the jump with a TV audience.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/mounteverest/10664395/Daredevil-to-jump-off-summit-of-Mount-Everest.html

Gonna be VERY interesting to see what they say if one of them goes in.:|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Who is "they"?

The whuffo media.

And finally who cares?

We all should care. These dumb assed, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, bimbos that somehow find their way into a news room can do untold damage with their bullshit fear mongering that passes for news. I had to deal with them when I was PIO in the fire dept. They were as dumb as a box of rocks and half as useful. They, through their fear based, drama centered, fact free "reporting", can do more to stir public opinion against us than you can possibly imagine.>:(:(>:(

They are, to a man, unknowledgeable and unwilling to learn. They have a preset agenda that boils down to: If it bleeds, it leads. And are unwilling to get even the smallest of details right unless it fits what they want to splash on the headlines. I remember countless times when I'd watch a report on an event I was involved in and turn to my partners and go "where the hell was that one?" They seem to want to get everything as wrong as possible. They are not to be trusted.

They are maggots and we'd be better off with some different kind of model than this bullshit.

This effort, if it comes about, could dramatically expand the capabilities of the sport and bring new advances by attracting new blood and talent to the gene pool. But the whuffo media, driven by the dumbest of the dumb, will only portray it as some kind of death loving daredevil out for a thrill, and us along with it.

That's why you should care.:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

Tink1717

If it bleeds, it leads. News mantra.

People die on Everest every single year. It will get 15 minutes and then it's on to the next crazy mom that drowns her kids or mass shooting.

No one will really give a shit, except the jumper, his friends and family and a handful of us skydivers. IMHO

Doug_Davis

I know some people here have speculated about the possibility of doing a BASE wingsuit jump from Everest. Seems its happening come May this year.

In the 61 years since Edmund Hillary and sherpa Tenzing Norgay reached the top of Mount Everest, most of the 5,000-plus people have descended from the summit the same way they came up: on foot. A few have paraglided down.

The ultra-daredevil plans to plunge off the world's tallest mountain in May while wearing a custom wing-suit equipped with cameras to share the jump with a TV audience.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/mounteverest/10664395/Daredevil-to-jump-off-summit-of-Mount-Everest.html

Didn't Valery Rozov already wingsuit down everest?

lyosha

***I know some people here have speculated about the possibility of doing a BASE wingsuit jump from Everest. Seems its happening come May this year.

Didn't Valery Rozov already wingsuit down everest?

It seems it has been done. But now the pissing contests to see who was the highest. Wikipedia says 7220 meters is 23,690 feet but it is really 28,452.

Sparky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Rozov
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Tink1717

We all should care. These dumb assed, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, bimbos that somehow find their way into a news room can do untold damage with their bullshit fear mongering that passes for news. I had to deal with them when I was PIO in the fire dept. They were as dumb as a box of rocks and half as useful. They, through their fear based, drama centered, fact free "reporting", can do more to stir public opinion against us than you can possibly imagine.>:(:(>:(

They are, to a man, unknowledgeable and unwilling to learn. They have a preset agenda that boils down to: If it bleeds, it leads. And are unwilling to get even the smallest of details right unless it fits what they want to splash on the headlines. I remember countless times when I'd watch a report on an event I was involved in and turn to my partners and go "where the hell was that one?" They seem to want to get everything as wrong as possible. They are not to be trusted.

They are maggots and we'd be better off with some different kind of model than this bullshit.

This effort, if it comes about, could dramatically expand the capabilities of the sport and bring new advances by attracting new blood and talent to the gene pool. But the whuffo media, driven by the dumbest of the dumb, will only portray it as some kind of death loving daredevil out for a thrill, and us along with it.

That's why you should care.:|

Don't hold back, Tink, tell us how you REALLY feel. ;)

Oh, and you are absolutely correct.

The media would give a wingsuit fatality more airplay because its even more "sensational" than the normal boring run of mill climber-freezes-to-death story from Everest.

Tink1717

"Business as usual" - Every whuffo ever reacting to that news.

That mountain range is littered with dead climbers. I doubt most non-jumpers/climbers care much if one more person dies on that mountain.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I doubt most non-jumpers/climbers care much if one more person dies on that mountain.

But the whuffos in the media will use their impeccable stupidity to once again paint us as death loving dare devils. This would not normally be a problem except when that opinion gets to guide public policy. Airport access gets denied, DZ go under, lawsuits, etc.. Nothing good comes from it. If you think we're not susceptible, think again. I've had more than one high level FSDO official say that if the FAA needs to get involved with skydiving, then they will simply ban it. Not a problem for BASE you say? Where did you learn to jump? I don't know of anyone who got to BASE that didn't start in planes. If you cut off the point of entry to the sport, it will only be a matter of time.

People are pounding in BASE proximity flying at an alarming rate all over the world. It hasn't even been a tiny blip on the FSDO radar screen.

Now one skydiver tangling with an airplane, or a lady nearly falling out of a tandem harness, that gets their attention.