Mokasx

Skydiving - A guy's dream

NickyCal

Could I see some math? I serious doubt an A license and a 'good deal' rig is >$10,000

I'll do my best. There are a lot of things that won't be on the official list, such as all of the gas driving back and forth to the DZ (over an hour each way), even on days when only one jump was possible. Organizing child care for my son when my husband, who works in another state, isn't in town. The necessary t-shirts from drop zones that you visit (am I right?!). Shipping costs on the alti, goggles, helmet, etc that I ordered. Of course, those are my own individual expenses, so can't be added to a general "how much would it cost to get my A license" list.

$2000 -- AFF (plus required tandem), getting you to 8 jumps
$130 -- Refresher coach jump after weathered out for 6 weeks
$300 -- 3 coach jumps at large DZ (now at 12)
$150 -- 2 coach jumps at home DZ (14 jumps total)
$550 -- Remaining 11 jumps at student price of $50 each
$2300 -- Used rig
$1400 -- AAD
$350 -- updating rig for RSL, RSL installation, reserve repack
$300 -- two used jumpsuits
$160 -- altimeter
$65 -- cheap starter helmet
$30 -- two sets goggles
$60 -- light and winter weight gloves
$10 -- log book
$65 -- USPA membership
$100 -- miscellaneous sports-wear for colder weather jumps

Ok, so all totaled up, you're right, I did overestimate a bit. If we leave out all of the extraneous expenses, I will have spent $8000 to get my A license. I still contend that giving up on your college education to attempt to make a career from skydiving is insane. Skydiving is an expense, not an income generator for the vast majority of people who participate in (and love!) the sport.

I think Skydive the farm has the A license package deal for around 2,000 or less.

If college is truly "almost done" finish that up before you decide your next move. You've invested time & money in that; at least get the degree even if you don't use it now or ever.

As others have said, you can make a living in this sport. All of the roles in which you're making a living by actual skydiving are highly dependent on your physical health and well-being: break a bone? You don't work. Have a head cold that locks your sinuses up? You don't work.

If you're going to go that route, doing at 22 is probably better than starting at 52, as (on the whole) people heal a lot better in their 20s than they do as they get older, and (on the whole) they tend to have fewer responsibilities (spouse, kids, mortgage, etc.).

As others have said, even if you shop around for the best possible deals, know that it takes a lot of time and money to get to the point where you can make a living by actual skydiving (and you've already dismissed taking tandems as "lame," so you've eliminated one of the more lucrative skydiving jobs out there). You'll almost surely be employed as an independent contractor who only gets paid when he works, with no benefits.

That's the reality check. There's lots of great things about working in the industry, and I have lots of good friends who are "living the dream" but they didn't get there overnight, and it's not without its challenges.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

As others have said, you can make a living in this sport. All of the roles in which you're making a living by actual skydiving are highly dependent on your physical health and well-being: break a bone? You don't work. Have a head cold that locks your sinuses up? You don't work.

Yes it's a physical type job (all skydiving roles) demanding something physically of the person. Physical type jobs do have all the disadvantages you mention, but they have one big advantage that no one has mentioned. Physical jobs can't be outsourced nearly as easily as jobs like engineering. With engineering, you never know (no matter what country your job happens to be in) when your company might find a way to do your job more cheaply in another country--and then it's goodbye job. The work of an AFFI or TI can't be outsourced so easily.

I could go on at greater length re the downsides of an engineering career, but I'd be at risk of channeling Shah if I did so, so I'll leave it at that.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Thanks for the reply :)
I think it's ok to live on the DZ and do odd jobs as a gap year thing, but actually expecting to do it for a lifetime is just, well, not the best idea. At the very least a half-half thing would be better (eg, simple half day administrative job + skydiving job)

ianyapxw

Thanks for the reply :)
I think it's ok to live on the DZ and do odd jobs as a gap year thing, but actually expecting to do it for a lifetime is just, well, not the best idea. At the very least a half-half thing would be better (eg, simple half day administrative job + skydiving job)

You bring up a good point; not all of us are airtwardo, and can still do this when we're old and decrepit. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You must be kidding me.

There's no way being a packer is better than being an engineer. Sure, if you're in Australia, plumber/electrician is a good alternative but comparing a 'bad' physical job like a packer to whatever a degree has to offer is plain wrong.

ianyapxw

There's no way being a packer is better than being an engineer. Sure, if you're in Australia, plumber/electrician is a good alternative but comparing a 'bad' physical job like a packer to whatever a degree has to offer is plain wrong.

I didn't say one was better than the other. I suggested, as others have done, some of the advantages or disadvantages going one way or the other. The ultimate decision as to which is better is an individual decision.

I do, however, claim that if someone chooses to learn a trade requiring physical work--and, yes, this includes plumbers/electricians as well as skydiving jobs--then one advantage is that one's work cannot be outsourced. Is that advantage enough to overcome other disadvantages? That's for each person to decide for themselves.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

airtwardo

***Everyone seems to know each other :(

I don't know anything about airtwardo other than he's a demo jumper and has grown kids

Yup...that about covers it! B|

He forgot the hot redhead pilot wife. We all know that's your best feature. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ianyapxw

You sure that's your life story? ;)

Have you ever seen the DaVinci drawing of a parachute?

Rumor has it that it's a drawing of 'Twardo's FJC.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***You sure that's your life story? ;)

Have you ever seen the DaVinci drawing of a parachute?

Rumor has it that it's a drawing of 'Twardo's FJC.

I thought it was a demo of one of Twardo's early demos.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ianyapxw

Could someone explain to me please [:/]

I once described 'Twardo as "An old, old school skydiver. Lights himself on fire in midair for a living. If he hasn't done it, it hasn't been done. Has all the good stories in the "Scary Stories" thread."

Go to the "History & Trivia" forum. Find the thread titled "Scary Stories From the Old Day."
All will become clear.

While you're there, take a look at the DB Cooper thread. It's an interesting read.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

ianyapxw

Thanks for the guide :)
I've been to DB cooper before and it kinda confuses me. Just seems to be endless speculation on and on. I also don't see regular posters that post in the other forums there.

I checked out the DB Cooper thread once...looked around...never went back.

Twardo's stories from the Old Days thread are as good as stories come. If they made a movie of some of that stuff no one would believe it. ;)

Trafficdiver

***Thanks for the guide :)
I've been to DB cooper before and it kinda confuses me. Just seems to be endless speculation on and on. I also don't see regular posters that post in the other forums there.

I checked out the DB Cooper thread once...looked around...never went back.

Twardo's stories from the Old Days thread are as good as stories come. If they made a movie of some of that stuff no one would believe it. ;)

Just imagine the ones I CAN'T tell! :o:$

...well, at least 'won't put down in print' :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I dont know what the price of a jump ticket is in us but in europe i pay 35 USdollar incl. rental gear without the gear its only 23 dollar.
i have payed 1475 dollar for the AFF course, 275 on jumpsuit
lets say 150 for my alti and another 150 on littlestuff like goggels.
I also payed for a refresh jump after winterstop 65 dollar.
It seems jumping in the us is more expensive than in Belguim
Do or do not, there is no try