Mokasx

Skydiving - A guy's dream

Since my 8th birthday that i got dazzled by skydiving.
Flying at 250 km/h? That's totally my thing.
So when i turned 18, i rushed to a Skydiving site nearby, and went for then 4200 m jump. Obviously i loved it, it's the best feeling in the world. B|

So i'm 22 now, and I live in Portugal.
My life is on hold right now. College almost done, but my dream is not to be an engineer. What i really love to do is Skydiving. :)
So, what can I do to pursue my dream? How can i start a career in Skydiving? And what advice can you guys give me ?

Advise!
Finish college and become very good and well paid for what you are studying!
That way you can afford Skydivng and it can remain an enjoyable pastime. ;)

"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

Drop out of college. Buy a tent and move to the dz. Help out picking up trash, cleaning toilets and performing sexual favors for jumps until someone teaches you to pack. Then you pack your ass off for a while and buy some cheap gear. Live on Ramen noodles and put all your money into jumps. Then you get some instructor rating and a riggers ticket and you're good! It's easy.

Just finishing up my A license requirements here. Let me say that if spouse and I didn't both have good jobs and financial security, skydiving wouldn't be happening. Including first rig (which I got a great deal on used), I will have easily put over $10,000 into just getting that A license. If you want to follow your dream, finish school, get a job, then save save save so that you can get started doing what you love. Work pays the skydiving bills.

As an ex instructor, I can tell you for sure that the life of a pro skydiver is, except for a tiny minority, an austere one. You'll be able to hack it for a while when you're young, but over time, you'll be less and less able to absorb the fluctuations in income and the vagrant nature of the "industry". Following the sun and living the DZ dream sounds good now, but in ten years are you really going to be able to manage when you get rained out for two weeks or indefinitely when the DZ you work for folds? Living in a tent or a car or bunk house might sond good now, but the ladies will, over time, become less and less impressed too.

Finish school, get a good job and pay for the dream up front. Then go home to your house and GF ( or SO ) and tell them what a blast you just had.

ETA: Or better yet, take that engineering degree and get hooked up with a parachute maker or designer.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Here in Portugal, from what i can tell, i can get a license in AFF (Accelerated Free Fall), which allows me to get all the knowledge and experience to start making my own jumps, by myself.
It's around 1500€ (~2100$), which isn't that much.

What i'd really like to know is, how could i make a living out of Skydiving ?
There's the option of being a Tandem jumper, with other people (lame), but aside from that, what else ?

1) Be a pilot and drop jumpers
2) own a DZ
3) rigging
4) AFF instruction
5) Tandem instruction
6) Photography
7) Gear sales
8) Tunnel training (if one is local)
9) Packing

there are probably more but most of the roads to get there probably cost as much as a year in school, some more than an education (i.e. DZO or piloting).

I have to agree with the other guys, get your degree and skydive for fun.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

What else?

Instructor (AFF), you teach the new students.
Instructor (Tandem) you take "students" up for their tandem. AKA "Meat Hauler."
Rigger, you pack and maintain the gear.
Camera Flyer, you take the video and stills of tandem students (becoming less common with the advances in hand-cams).
Manifest, you work in the office.
Pilot, you fly the plane (which requires a huge investment to get a commercial pilot licence).

None of those jobs pay well (except maybe tandem instructor). All except for manifest require a serious investment in time and money to reach the point where you will be able to make any money. Here in the US, they aren't kidding about living in a tent and eating Ramen noodles. It becomes a "labor of love" where you work long hours for little pay, but get to "live the dream." There's no real job security, often no disability insurance (so if you get hurt you are screwed) It gets old.

There are jobs with the manufacturers. Sales reps (needs a degree or experience in sales/marketing), designers (engineering), a few others.

Don't be so quick to dismiss being a TI. It takes 500 jumps minimum, but offers the best opportunity to make money. At a busy DZ, some claim to be able to make $50k per year. I think that's a bit exaggerated, and also well above the average, but that's what I've heard.
It can also be a lot of fun. You get to offer an experience like no other to someone. Some get bored with that and call it "Meat Hauling", others keep it focused on the student and feed off of their enthusiasm. I've met both types of TIs.

Seriously, you will be far, far better off getting a good degree and a good job. Then you'll be able to afford to jump for the fun of it. I've met more than a few people who found that working their "dream job" every day turned what used to be fun into drudgery.

You aren't the first one to come here and ask this.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Mokasx

Here in Portugal, from what i can tell, i can get a license in AFF (Accelerated Free Fall), which allows me to get all the knowledge and experience to start making my own jumps, by myself.

There's the option of being a Tandem jumper, with other people (lame), but aside from that, what else ?

Just spend the $2100 and then you'll have more opportunities to make more serious cash than you ever could have imagined.

People here are not going to tell you the truth because they don't want to ruin a good thing.

Mokasx

You can start by learning how to follow instructions…..didn’t someone say don’t post in green. It makes you look like 13 year old girl.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

NickyCal

Just finishing up my A license requirements here. Let me say that if spouse and I didn't both have good jobs and financial security, skydiving wouldn't be happening. Including first rig (which I got a great deal on used), I will have easily put over $10,000 into just getting that A license. If you want to follow your dream, finish school, get a job, then save save save so that you can get started doing what you love. Work pays the skydiving bills.

Do you really study dust?

Sparky

NickyCal

Sparky

To the trained eye, it is fossil pollen, Sparky. Not dust. Don't you dare say "dust". 9 years of college and grad school, buddy. 9 YEARS. I study fossil pollen. Got it?

I didn't say dust these losers did. I know better. :P:)
Sparkyi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palynologist

NickyCal

Sparky

To the trained eye, it is fossil pollen, Sparky. Not dust. Don't you dare say "dust". 9 years of college and grad school, buddy. 9 YEARS. I study fossil pollen. Got it?

Now THAT is one fascinating career...
The things we can learn from studying the smallest clues from history. Ahhhhh science...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I'm in a situation where money is always pretty tight. You don't need to be wealthy to jump (but it helps :)
What has worked for me, is being a weekend warrior. I do a couple of hundred jumps a year and the last time I paid for a jump out of my day job was just under 18 months ago. There is always stuff to do around a dropzone, whether it is packing, fueling, cleaning it's not always exciting stuff but it gets you involved and knowledgeable.

When the time comes you can start doing coaching and or camera work, followed by an instructor rating. One of the nicest things about being a weekend jumper is you don't 'have' to jump. One thing I would recommend is avoid quickly getting into work jumps, spend time mastering a discipline like formation skydiving, or freefly first.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

In Portugal only a handful of people make a living off skydiving.

Only one DZ operates daily on a regular basis - Skydive Algarve. The others only work on weekends and some are struggling at the moment due to the financial crisis and one of the worst winters in recent history.

You could certainly have a supplemental income as a TI, AFF-I, camera flyer, etc, as some people do, but it will be a long time before you break even.

My advice - either do as most people do, taking the steps to become a qualified and experienced skydiver one at a time, while paying for it with some other source of income or seriously consider moving to another country and still have a hard time, as people explained in this thread.

For the time being you should start visiting DZs, feeling the vibe, socializing with the staff and fun jumpers and find out for yourself what skydiving is all about as a hobby and as a paid activity.

ianyapxw

***I will have easily put over $10,000 into just getting that A license.

Could I see some math? I serious doubt an A license and a 'good deal' rig is >$10,000 but yeah, it is expensive.this is what I spent per year on my 3 first years of jumping.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

ianyapxw

***I will have easily put over $10,000 into just getting that A license.

Could I see some math? I serious doubt an A license and a 'good deal' rig is >$10,000 but yeah, it is expensive.

PFF course (Canadian version of AFF) $2260
15 additional jumps to make the 25 $600
6 Coach jumps slots and fees $360
rental of equipment before purchase $600
16 mins tunnel time after failed jump$300
helmet $300
altimeter, jumpsuit, shoes, etc $600

purchase of new (i know the other person said good used rig)
a lot inc new aad

adds up fast. not to mention that was just the A. it also doesnt count gas, days off work, rain days and wasted $$. Oh yeah and as a new skydiver getting used to the rules LOTS OF BEER!

Could I see some math? I serious doubt an A license and a 'good deal' rig is >$10,000

I'll do my best. There are a lot of things that won't be on the official list, such as all of the gas driving back and forth to the DZ (over an hour each way), even on days when only one jump was possible. Organizing child care for my son when my husband, who works in another state, isn't in town. The necessary t-shirts from drop zones that you visit (am I right?!). Shipping costs on the alti, goggles, helmet, etc that I ordered. Of course, those are my own individual expenses, so can't be added to a general "how much would it cost to get my A license" list.

$2000 -- AFF (plus required tandem), getting you to 8 jumps
$130 -- Refresher coach jump after weathered out for 6 weeks
$300 -- 3 coach jumps at large DZ (now at 12)
$150 -- 2 coach jumps at home DZ (14 jumps total)
$550 -- Remaining 11 jumps at student price of $50 each
$2300 -- Used rig
$1400 -- AAD
$350 -- updating rig for RSL, RSL installation, reserve repack
$300 -- two used jumpsuits
$160 -- altimeter
$65 -- cheap starter helmet
$30 -- two sets goggles
$60 -- light and winter weight gloves
$10 -- log book
$65 -- USPA membership
$100 -- miscellaneous sports-wear for colder weather jumps

Ok, so all totaled up, you're right, I did overestimate a bit. If we leave out all of the extraneous expenses, I will have spent $8000 to get my A license. I still contend that giving up on your college education to attempt to make a career from skydiving is insane. Skydiving is an expense, not an income generator for the vast majority of people who participate in (and love!) the sport.