riguy00

beginner reserve

riguy00

I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

Something with a wing loading of 1:1 or less, that will fit easily into the reserve pack tray.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

riguy00

I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

The biggest one you can buy. ;) You could go with a 176 PD Optimum. Recommended weight for a novice is 180 lb.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

***I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

The biggest one you can buy. ;) You could go with a 176 PD Optimum. Recommended weight for a novice is 180 lb.

Sparky

Keep in mind that those weights are exit weights. That is how much you weigh with all your gear on.
It isn't "Stepping out of the shower weight", which I'm going to guess the 150 you mentioned is.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

riguy00

Are you 150 and 5'6, or 150 and 6'3? Keep in mind you may end up wearing weights during some (or most) of your jumps, depending on that answer.
Remster

riguy00

The maximum size reserve the rig will house.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Southern_Man

******I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

I can't disagree more strongly w/ this advice.

Yeah, why is that?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Yeah, why is that?

Bigun, I think it should be the largest size that will not over stuff the container. Just because it fits, doesn't mean it is a good idea.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

Yeah, why is that?

Bigun, I think it should be the largest size that will not over stuff the container. Just because it fits, doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I agree with this and did not mean to overstuff.

Just the largest size the rig manufacturer recommends. since the reserve wasn't the top priority in the kit decision-making process.

BIGUN

*********I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

Yeah, why is that?

Because I don't think shoving the largest size reserve that will possibly fit into your container is a very good idea. Too many reports of slow reserve deployment already. Those can't be definitively linked to container/reserve combinations but it is a leading theory that is at least one of the causes. When I need my reserve I want it to deploy fast and reliably.

Also, putting the largest possible reserve size in there is likely to stress the container, look like crap, and be very uncomfortable.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

************I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

Yeah, why is that?

Because I don't think shoving the largest size reserve that will possibly fit into your container is a very good idea. Too many reports of slow reserve deployment already. Those can't be definitively linked to container/reserve combinations but it is a leading theory that is at least one of the causes. When I need my reserve I want it to deploy fast and reliably.

Also, putting the largest possible reserve size in there is likely to stress the container, look like crap, and be very uncomfortable.

I never said, "...shoving the largest size reserve that will possibly fit..."
The maximum size reserve the rig will house - as in the largest recommended by the manufacturer for that container.

Let's recap before it drifts too far for the OP.

First, one should determine their reserve first and build a rig around that.
Second, now that the rig has been purchased without a reserve and that is the advice sought.
Given an ~180# exit weighted jumper,
And, that the main is a 190, it's highly possible that something in the 190 reserve range could be accommodated.
Therefore, the largest the manufacturer would recommend - which would hopefully coincide with Airtwardo's and Michael's advice also - < 1:1 w/l

BIGUN

***************I weight 150 lbs with only about 35 jumps, I am buying my first rig with a 190 pulse, what reserve do you suggest?

Yeah, why is that?

I never said, "...shoving the largest size reserve that will possibly fit..."
The maximum size reserve the rig will house - as in the largest recommended by the manufacturer for that container.

Let's recap before it drifts too far for the OP.

First, one should determine their reserve first and build a rig around that.
Second, now that the rig has been purchased without a reserve and that is the advice sought.
Given an ~180# exit weighted jumper,
And, that the main is a 190, it's highly possible that something in the 190 reserve range could be accommodated.
Therefore, the largest the manufacturer would recommend - which would hopefully coincide with Airtwardo's and Michael's advice also - < 1:1 w/l

I strongly prefer and recommend to jumpers to buy the "standard fitting" to the "full fitting" (UPT terminology) reserve canopy. It appears we will just have to agree to disagree on that. Doesn't hurt my feelings, as you are hardly the first person to disagree with me and I recognize that some would view that advice as overly conservative.

It is somewhat ambiguous to me if the OP has actually agreed to buy a container yet or not. It is always my advice (again on the conservative side) to decide on the appropriate reserve first and then build the container around that.

Without knowing anything about the jumper I would likely eyeball a 193 or similar size reserve, so we are all in the same ballpark there.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"