cpoxon

Google's Sergey Brin skydives with Glass (at Perris?)

FlyingRhenquest

Does he have less than 200 jumps? Isn't jumping out of a helicopter kind of an advanced maneuver?

Some places ask you 50 jumps for the helicopter and they enforce it very mildly, some others don't ask anything more than your A-license.
Personally? Jumping from a helicopter is way easier than exiting properly from a plane. :D
As for google glass, well, at least you have the entanglement factor completely removed, as for the distraction, they might bring it to a whole new level. I can only imagine myself trying to check my emails or facebook notifications in freefall or under canopy. :D
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

He did complicate the system. If you read his post:

Yes I was wearing Glass. I just put them over my skydiving goggles and under the helmet.

I think most people would consider putting something over your goggles a distraction.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Oh yeah, I totally agree, they are a distraction just as any other small camera, if not worse (I don't know exactly what you can do with the Goggle Glass, let's just assume they are used purely as a video recorder).
You may still find yourself in all the bad situations that distractions with camera rose over the years.
I would still use them observing the "200 jumps minimum" recommendation. I probably wouldn't use them at all even when I'll have the required jump numbers, but that's just me.
I was just saying that they solve the entanglement problem. And this is reasonably true.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

cpoxon

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SergeyBrin/posts/C6cyYLJjtJN Jumping camera with less than 200 jumps?

Well, there we go! The precedent has been set. The floodgates are now open. Soon to be seen at the DZ. (Well, if Perris Valley allows it, then why not others? Why not tandem students?)

I wonder if the "anti-camera for under 200 jumps" crowd is going to be as indignant as they have in the past.

peek

***https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SergeyBrin/posts/C6cyYLJjtJN Jumping camera with less than 200 jumps?

Well, there we go! The precedent has been set. The floodgates are now open. Soon to be seen at the DZ. (Well, if Perris Valley allows it, then why not others? Why not tandem students?)

I wonder if the "anti-camera for under 200 jumps" crowd is going to be as indignant as they have in the past.

My understanding is that it can project information into your field of vision. Thats like gazillion times more distracting then a single GoPro planted on your helmet.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Bluhdow

***Does he have less than 200 jumps? Isn't jumping out of a helicopter kind of an advanced maneuver?

Money over everything.

When I was a student skydiver at Ft. Bragg, NC in 1960 my first dozen or more jumps were out of a helicopter.

Can someone explain why jumping a helicopter is an "advanced maneuver"? Does the USPA have an official position on this? I have never read anything which makes a helicopter jump more dangerous than a fixed wing craft. What am I missing?

I think that Sergey's entry into the sport can only help spread good word about our sport.

Unless he gets killed.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Can someone explain why jumping a helicopter is an "advanced maneuver"? Does the USPA have an official position on this? I have never read anything which makes a helicopter jump more dangerous than a fixed wing craft. What am I missing?

It's not more dangerous, but if one was trained to jump from aircraft and wasn't trained to jump from a helicopter, there could be issues (no relative wind, how to exit the heli, avoiding hardpoints on the skids), potential sub-terminal opening (if the exit is low as many heli jumps are), and other possible 'unfamiliarities.'
A balloon jump isn't any more dangerous either, but without specific training for that exit, it'll likely go poorly.

As far as the Google glass, it probably comes down to privilege. If he's an A-licensed student, there is no rule but rather a recommendation. If he's willing to deal with the HUD, and his instructors are OK with it, it's on them. I'd imagine those jumping with him brought up the issue of distraction. I'd also imagine he wears similar devices on a daily basis, reducing the distraction factor. If nothing else, he's not a 25 jump wonder jumping with other 25 jump wonders putting them at risk due to his distraction. Those jumping with him in this shot are exceptionally capable, highly-experienced jumpers. I feel this qualifies as a "stunt."

Guru312

******Does he have less than 200 jumps? Isn't jumping out of a helicopter kind of an advanced maneuver?

Money over everything.

When I was a student skydiver at Ft. Bragg, NC in 1960 my first dozen or more jumps were out of a helicopter.

I think that Sergey's entry into the sport can only help spread good word about our sport.

Unless he gets killed.

Thats an excellent question and Im glad you asked, because Ive often wondered the same. Half of my military jumps were from helicopters (UH-1, UH-60 and CH-47), so in the neighborhood of 100+.
But Ive been told (by a few boogie organizers) I cant make one now as a civilian till I get a B license. Although there is no such restriction in the SIM or BSR's themselves.

DZOs et al can add further restrictions if they see fit.

By my guess the B license requirement some for heli or balloon (particularly balloon) jumps is due to the fact that there is a greater chance of landing off the DZ. A B license, as the theory goes, has some demonstrable canopy control and accuracy requirements that would better prepare a jumper for an off landing.

Just my guess. Seems reasonable at any rate.

I think the difference is the military vs. the civilian way. My first three jumps were from Hueys (UH-1H) from 3500' at about 60 - 70 mph.

Civilians thinks of helicopter jumps as zero air speed, aka hover jumps. Of the about 150 Heli jumps I have ( Huey, Blackhawk, Chinook), None were hover jumps.

Granted, a Huey at 14,000' doesn't have much forward speed. They're all good.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway