hech117

Design student needs your help!

airtwardo

***Automatic packing machine.

It's so easy ~ a monkey could do it! :D

See what happens when you help a brother out.

One of these days I won't fall for the old line "I've been driving for hours, been fighting off dragons and could sure use a rest".;)

I'm just surprised you actually trusted me enough to jump my pack job..... more than once.:o:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

******Automatic packing machine.

It's so easy ~ a monkey could do it! :D

See what happens when you help a brother out.

One of these days I won't fall for the old line "I've been driving for hours, been fighting off dragons and could sure use a rest".;)

I'm just surprised you actually trusted me enough to jump my pack job..... more than once.:o:)

What the Hell I got to live for? :S:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

this one is more a research idea than a product (could be used as a product, or a service?)

basically its a multiple parachute identifier and recorder.

4 "searchers" placed in 4 corners of the landing area
these look at everything in the air, ie when parachutes open, it records where they open and in which direction, as the other parachutes open, it also records these.
it could then show you via computer a 3d image of all the recordings.

while you might think "oh you can just look at the sky"
I think over the period of a day or a week, you could gather some amazing data about openings and flight patterns, ie do people always follow a certain path due to run in? how many close calls are there, whats the average distance of tracking from a 4 way? etc.

might not be suitable for your project but if anyone else wants to have a go, theres the idea :D

decompresion

Weight belt filled with water. Drain tube going down to the shoe.
Dump the water after freefall, under canopy.
Get the freefall speed you want without increasing the wingloading

It's called a bladder...:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

decompresion

Weight belt filled with water. Drain tube going down to the shoe.

I was considering this until I looked up the density of lead (verses water).
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

***Weight belt filled with water. Drain tube going down to the shoe.

Check with Oppenheimer ~ Maybe ya can borrow a cup of Heavy Water! :)

dthames

***Weight belt filled with water. Drain tube going down to the shoe.

Mercury is heavier than lead and a liquid :)

Hellis

******Weight belt filled with water. Drain tube going down to the shoe.

Mercury is heavier than lead and a liquid :)

But on hot days it might swell up like a thermometer and explode! I'm sure there wouldn't be any health side-affects though, of getting it all over you.

hech117

Hi all,

I am a beginner skydiver and industrial design student in Boston researching ideas for my senior thesis. Do any of you have any common problems pertaining to skydiving that you would like to address whether big or small, these tips could help me design a possible solution around it and graduate with an awesome skydiving product. Any type of problems and information you or others you know have experienced will be really useful!

Thanks,

Hech

Hey again,

Here is the preliminary proposal for me thesis topic. Let me know what you all think:

Skydivers are a unique group of people who are very passionate about the sport, and being part of this community is just as much about making new friends as it is about jumping out of a plane. Because of this I want to design my senior thesis based around this very sport that I grow to love more each day.

The skydiving industry is a very small and specialized market; therefore the equipment used requires very specific needs and functional ability. If there is one tangible thing skydivers value it is their equipment. Because skydivers place an enormous amount of importance and trust in their gear, my proposal is to identify a need or problem with the equipment and design a solution around it. Since there are many pieces of equipment used in skydiving I have plenty of opportunity to explore different areas of product interactions. Some examples are better helmets equipped for cameras, canopy locators during a cutaway and tools for packing a chute faster.

I have many resources in which to research from; my local drop zone, JumpTown located in Orange, Massachusetts, online forums, books, media and myself. Being a licensed skydiver I am able to be an integral part of the research as well as using the more experienced jumpers at the drop zone. Doing preliminary research through an online forum I discovered that other jumpers are very excited and willing to talk about innovative product idea developments and solutions within the sport.

This is a sport were problems can occur quite often, so the design impact of this project could be monumental. Any contribution I can do to fix a problem or identify a need would spark interest in the community and eliminate the disconnect between user and design. Some topics in this field include: general safety, photography, packing process, training, equipment maintenance, multi way formations, free-flying, etc. This project would allow me to give back to the skydiving community through design and be a branding opportunity for myself as well.

hech117

***Hi all,

I am a beginner skydiver and industrial design student in Boston researching ideas for my senior thesis. Do any of you have any common problems pertaining to skydiving that you would like to address whether big or small, these tips could help me design a possible solution around it and graduate with an awesome skydiving product. Any type of problems and information you or others you know have experienced will be really useful!

Thanks,

Hech

Hey again,

Here is the preliminary proposal for me thesis topic. Let me know what you all think:

Skydivers are a unique group of people who are very passionate about their sport. Being part of this community is just as much about making new friends as it is about jumping from a plane. Because of this I want my senior thesis to be based around a sport that I am growing to love more each day.

The skydiving industry is a very small and specialized market. Because of this the equipment used in the sport requires very specific needs and functions. If there is one tangible thing skydivers value it is their equipment. Because skydivers place an enormous amount of value and trust in their gear my proposal is to identify a need or problem in skydiving equipment and design a solution around it. Since there are many pieces of equipment used in skydiving I have plenty of opportunity to explore different areas of product interactions.

I have many resources in which to research from; my local drop zone located in Orange Massachusetts, online forums and myself. Being a licensed skydiver I am able to be an integral part of the research as well as using the more experienced jumpers at the drop zone. Doing preliminary research through an online forum I discovered that other jumpers are very excited and willing to talk about product ideas and developments within the sport.

This is a sport were problems can occur quite often, so the design impact of this project could be monumental. Any contribution I can do to fix a problem or identify a need would spark interest in the community and eliminate the disconnect between user and design. Some topics in this field include: general safety, photography, packing process, training, equipment maintenance, multi way formations, free-flying, etc. This project would allow me to give back to the skydiving world through design and be a branding opportunity for myself as well.

Too late to change majors? :P:ph34r:

I actually think decompression has a great idea.

If I may add to the "uses" of this idea, I would say that this could become a new tool for the student to novice skydiver in helping them downsize.

Not only will the skydiving bladder assist the student to have a fall rate consistent with his/her instructor or coach. this brand new device will allow potential downsizers to not only determine how their projected wing loading will effect flight but will help them by slowly increasing their WL they will be better able to predict and practice flare technique to match their new approach speeds. The jumper simply "drops" 1 or 2 lbs/jump for their 15 jumps leading to their first jump on their new canopy.

Just a thought, but I would try if not buy one. I am also willing to bet that a simple idea, with relatively simple design would cost much less to create a prototype than many other ideas that may come up. This will help a student out substantially.

Not really something "new" but an alteration. I kinda feel like I'm tossing a 2 dollar idea into the wind but.... A way to run AAD remotes to the chest strap or leg strap. I'm no swooper but from what I've gathered is there is a sub-group who rather not use / turn on AADs when they plan on swooping. Now they can turn them off under canopy just before they set up for landing.
It would be simple enough to do.

hech117

Hi all,

Thanks,

Hech

Ok everyone my design direction has expanded to other sports as well as skydiving. I need your help and need you to take this survey on helmet design:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TQY3ZQG

I really really appreciate it

-Hech

You're survey doesn't really have room so I'll elaborate further. Skydiving helmets suck fucking ass. The people building them are idiots. A helmet has to absorb the impact. It has to spread and dissipate the kinetic energy. Some of the might be able to do the first but they generally can not do the second. The shells are too heavy and they do not have enough room between the skull and the shell. Protecs are some of the better ones you'll see and they suck ass. They do not dissipate the energy. You get fucked up blunt force trauma injuries where the skull might be protected but the brain is damaged inside the skull. Bike helmets learned this lessen long ago. They use a thin crushable shell. Fractures like an egg shell. And a low density Styrofoam to absorb the energy. If you could do a mold that would be the right shape, non snag able, for a skydiving helmet and do a thin shell Styrofoam injected design you might be able to do it cheep enough to sell them by the truck load. People pay way too much thinking that it should last forever. It should be viewed as a replicable, disposable item. Any time it takes a good hit it should be ruined. And you should take that as the sign of a good helmet.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Remember these? I can't remember what they were called. The camera mounted from the inside. Very simple. Very clean. With some of the newer smaller tube like cameras mounted on top, out side the main impact areas, you might be able to do a very simple one peace design.

http://www.thejumpshop.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Helmet_Bag.html

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

RiggerLee

Remember these? I can't remember what they were called. The camera mounted from the inside. Very simple. Very clean. With some of the newer smaller tube like cameras mounted on top, out side the main impact areas, you might be able to do a very simple one peace design.

http://www.thejumpshop.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Helmet_Bag.html

Lee

Sidewinder? Or something like it?
Could be wrong.

RiggerLee

You're survey doesn't really have room so I'll elaborate further. Skydiving helmets suck fucking ass. The people building them are idiots. A helmet has to absorb the impact. It has to spread and dissipate the kinetic energy. Some of the might be able to do the first but they generally can not do the second. The shells are too heavy and they do not have enough room between the skull and the shell. Protecs are some of the better ones you'll see and they suck ass. They do not dissipate the energy. You get fucked up blunt force trauma injuries where the skull might be protected but the brain is damaged inside the skull. Bike helmets learned this lessen long ago. They use a thin crushable shell. Fractures like an egg shell. And a low density Styrofoam to absorb the energy. If you could do a mold that would be the right shape, non snag able, for a skydiving helmet and do a thin shell Styrofoam injected design you might be able to do it cheep enough to sell them by the truck load. People pay way too much thinking that it should last forever. It should be viewed as a replicable, disposable item. Any time it takes a good hit it should be ruined. And you should take that as the sign of a good helmet.

And it has to look cool. Because if it doesn't look cool, then nobody's going to buy it.

I know this is more base related....

A audible that can pick up when you jump, and do a count for you. Simply count in seconds from the moment you leap off.

You hear plenty people that opened too high due to adrenaline and ground rush. They aim to do a 12sec delay, but then it turns out to be a 9sec delay. Think this might be for the more inexperienced basers. You should also be able to put a beep in there for the ultimate last moment pull time. Jumper can set this on every jump.

Another thing is to have it for students. When they are required to do a 10/5sec delay, without altimeter. Just not sure how you would get the device to start since the plane is already moving, and you don't accelerate as with a base.

;)Trust me, students can't count.

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.