Boogers

USPA State Records

AStack75

There's more to it than just the fees for the certificates. You also need a USPA certified judge on hand for the attempt. You need to pay the judge something like $100 a day plus possibly travel expenses for their services if you don't have one at your home DZ. The judge also needs to know the dive plan in advance of the jump.

For the big stuff you may need all that. Smaller records need very little. You can tell from the record forms what is needed.

skyjumpenfool

It's a record until you go out and make 7 jumps or go to 14,410 feet. Then, the next guy has to go farther, higher, faster, better. Ya gotta start somewhere?

Than why are you trying to organize a 32 way when a 40way has already been done? Is that farther, higher, faster or better?

dqpacker

Than why are you trying to organize a 32 way when a 40way has already been done? Is that farther, higher, faster or better?

Well, if the 40-way doesn't have the paperwork to make it "official", and the 32-way notifies USPA to claim a record, isn't that like stealing someone else's record, knowing full well that you didn't really set a record?

I think all 40 of the 40-way guys are going to be a little peeved if some 32-way claims a big-way record that they didn't really earn.

Look at all the fuss about that Bones guy who intentionally messed up a head down record to keep his own record from being beaten. Isn't this akin to that?

Maybe the minimums needed for a starting point should be set retroactively by researching them in old Parachutist magazines. We shouldn't just ignore all the older skydives and start from scratch. It's like Orwell's "1984" Newspeak, where we re-write history to pretend that previous things never actually happened.

Normiss says we need previous records to have something to beat. Well, we DO have those previous records. Just because they weren't filled out in triplicate on the latest claim form, doesn't mean they don't exist.

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth...

>It's not a real "record" if many other people have done it before, and you're just
>the first one to fill out paperwork on it.

You can feel that way if you want. You could, for example, claim that the Australian or UK bigway records mean nothing because the World Team got a 400-way. Fortunately most people don't feel that way, and more skydivers have the opportunity to participate in local, state and country attempts before they (for example) try to get on a world record attempt.

Boogers

People claiming records like this are making a mockery of record achievements. They should be embarrassed. It might sound cool with their ignorant whuffo friends, but the rest of us know it's pathetic.

What I think is pathetic is that I have held a WORLD RECORD for almost fifty years and not one single person has attempted to break the record.

When people step up and attempt a shot at my WORLD RECORD then I'll get concerned about state records.

http://aicommand.com/PukeDuke.htm

Come on folks...give it a try. It'll take a lot out of you but you can do it. You'll be hungry for quite some time after your attempt to break the record.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Boogers

***Some people should go out and do it instead of whining.

Some people should be able to debate a point without calling others with whom the disagree "whiners".

I called it as I see it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Here's my real life experience from a week ago....

The judge I had was coming to the event, she wasn't paid anything and was glad to do it - so maybe that was luck but in four events I have never paid the judge anything.

You DO have to draw the jump before you do it, in my case I have the USPA folks approve the last one to - but I'm careful about that (they didn't charge me)

The $35 is correct, if someone want to get a cert. they can buy it.

Once you do the paper work it isn't that hard but it helps to have someone to go over it the first time. I did all the paper work for USPA and POPs in 30 minutes.

No tsaying your wrong....just that it isn't that bad and doesn't have to be expensive.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

billvon

>It's not a real "record" if many other people have done it before, and you're just
>the first one to fill out paperwork on it.

You can feel that way if you want. You could, for example, claim that the Australian or UK bigway records mean nothing because the World Team got a 400-way. Fortunately most people don't feel that way, and more skydivers have the opportunity to participate in local, state and country attempts before they (for example) try to get on a world record attempt.

The context here is STATE records.

kallend

******Some people should go out and do it instead of whining.

Some people should be able to debate a point without calling others with whom the disagree "whiners".

I called it as I see it.

Then again, some other people just like name-calling.

Boogers

***Than why are you trying to organize a 32 way when a 40way has already been done? Is that farther, higher, faster or better?

Well, if the 40-way doesn't have the paperwork to make it "official", and the 32-way notifies USPA to claim a record, isn't that like stealing someone else's record, knowing full well that you didn't really set a record?

I think all 40 of the 40-way guys are going to be a little peeved if some 32-way claims a big-way record that they didn't really earn.

Look at all the fuss about that Bones guy who intentionally messed up a head down record to keep his own record from being beaten. Isn't this akin to that?

Maybe the minimums needed for a starting point should be set retroactively by researching them in old Parachutist magazines. We shouldn't just ignore all the older skydives and start from scratch. It's like Orwell's "1984" Newspeak, where we re-write history to pretend that previous things never actually happened.

Normiss says we need previous records to have something to beat. Well, we DO have those previous records. Just because they weren't filled out in triplicate on the latest claim form, doesn't mean they don't exist.

No, I disagree entirely. If there is, for example, a known 40 way in a state, well that means that 40 skydivers got together in freefall. It doesn't mean that skydive was a record quality one, because it wasn't measured against that criteria. Were all the slots and grips correct according to the declared formation? Who knows.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Guru312

What I think is pathetic is that I have held a WORLD RECORD for almost fifty years and not one single person has attempted to break the record.

When people step up and attempt a shot at my WORLD RECORD then I'll get concerned about state records.

http://aicommand.com/PukeDuke.htm

Come on folks...give it a try. It'll take a lot out of you but you can do it. You'll be hungry for quite some time after your attempt to break the record.

Goddamn! That's a great life experience! Not one I'd want to go through though... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Southern_Man

******Than why are you trying to organize a 32 way when a 40way has already been done? Is that farther, higher, faster or better?

No, I disagree entirely. If there is, for example, a known 40 way in a state, well that means that 40 skydivers got together in freefall. It doesn't mean that skydive was a record quality one, because it wasn't measured against that criteria. Were all the slots and grips correct according to the declared formation? Who knows.

Who knows? I do. I know over half of the jumpers who where on it.
In your world the dive plane would have gone like this on the 40way in my state.
"Ok guys we have an Otter, a Beaver and a couple Cessna's. Lets all just go up there and grab each other anywhere and hopefully we'll get this 40way"
"Should we dirt dive this?"
"Fuck no"
Post dive
"holy crap it worked and it was symmetrical"

peek

***There's more to it than just the fees for the certificates. You also need a USPA certified judge on hand for the attempt. You need to pay the judge something like $100 a day plus possibly travel expenses for their services if you don't have one at your home DZ. The judge also needs to know the dive plan in advance of the jump.

For the big stuff you may need all that. Smaller records need very little. You can tell from the record forms what is needed.

See Attachment.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

******There's more to it than just the fees for the certificates. You also need a USPA certified judge on hand for the attempt. You need to pay the judge something like $100 a day plus possibly travel expenses for their services if you don't have one at your home DZ. The judge also needs to know the dive plan in advance of the jump.

See Attachment.

Sparky

I'm not sure if anyone has sent in for an official Iowa record. We did a 60 way about 10 years ago but before they were official. Parachutist published an article and a picture but I suppose someone could claim a 2 way if they want.

Who knows maybe they already have.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

There are 2 Iowa state records...
http://www.uspa.org/tabid/452/Default.aspx?ST=ia

Give the women snaps for having fun and submitting the jump for a record. Couch Freaks?

26 jumps may not seem like a lot for a one day record, but considering where and when Evan did it, he earned it.

Not really sure why anyone would get bent out of shape over these state records. They provide a way to recognize various achievements within a smaller region and in some cases, inspire more efforts to break such records. Some of the state records may be more serious and may even be close to -- or the actual -- national record. Some may just be a fun 5-way that resulted in a good picture and a great memory.

craigbey

There are 2 Iowa state records...
http://www.uspa.org/tabid/452/Default.aspx?ST=ia

Give the women snaps for having fun and submitting the jump for a record. Couch Freaks?

That's right. It was at Couch Freaks. They asked me to be one of the "judges". It was judged by looking at the video. Proves you don't need anything too special.

For the folks that think state records don't really "count"

Couple years ago we did the Ga state record 66 way. After we had landed I found out ONE of the jumpers USPA memebership was expired.... My thought was to forget making it offical and going on to the sequential.....

You'd thought that I had spit on the bible. :P

So we went up and did it again, an made it offical.

Now 50% of the group had never been on a jump that big, but I learn my leasson. Check the USPA card - don't take anyone word for it - and for some people these records are REAL important.

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>Now 50% of the group had never been on a jump that big, but I learn my
>leasson. Check the USPA card - don't take anyone word for it - and for some
>people these records are REAL important.

Yep. I did the Nevada state record about 10 years ago and there were some people to whom the record was _very_ important. The smaller state records may not be as important to someone with thousands of jumps, but for newer bigway jumpers starting out, it gives them a real goal to shoot for and a place to get experience that allows them to go on to the bigger records.

Totally agree!

I was lucky enough to be on the Illinois Women's State Record last summer and it was a huge deal to us! Most bigwayers have 1000s of jumps, which you need to be able to safely be a part of anything like that. We had girls with as few as 230 jumps all the way up to 1000s, the majority being in the 300-500 range. It gave all of us something to work toward all season, knowing that the record attempt was coming and honing our skills trying to "earn" a spot. The way our camp was run it provided us with the skills needed, practice in small groups, and a huge accomplishment for us even if it was "only" a 35 way.

And as far as women getting their own records, for a sport that is predominately male, it was such an amazing experience to be working with 34 like minded ladies and to be a part of something like that. Don't like it? Make an "all male record" and submit the paperwork, I'm sure the USPA will publish you for it. Go to every state if it bothers you and set what you feel should be a "minimum record" that needs to be broke. Its not like we get anything out of it besides the experience itself, pride, and seeing our names published for the record (which BTW was more than enough for all of us). It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to put a lot of these things together. If you celebrate the small victories in life, its a hell of a lot more fun!

>And as far as women getting their own records, for a sport that is predominately
>male, it was such an amazing experience to be working with 34 like minded ladies
>and to be a part of something like that. Don't like it? Make an "all male record"
>and submit the paperwork, I'm sure the USPA will publish you for it.

Agreed! Amy, my wife, has been on two women's records so far and has gotten a lot out of them. At the last one (at Perris) they had a men's way in between each of the women's records. Worked out pretty well.

I totally agree.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to be part of the Arizona State women's record. I had a couple hundred jumps, probably less. I was awe-struck and flattered that I got to be on it, and to work with all the amazing women that were on the jumps.

Not everyone comes from dropzones with multiple large planes turning dozens of loads each day, every day.

As far as the women v. men thing (?) skydiving is a predominantly male sport, no one can argue that point, and it's nice to help women advance, compete, work together, and have fun together, without the testosterone, sometimes.