Boogers

USPA State Records

USPA has recently opened up a new category of official records for the State level. Many of these State records are nothing more than a joke - just look at the attached image from a recent "Parachutist" magazine.

[inline Para_State_Rcds.jpg]

A state record for most jumps in one day by making 6 jumps? Really? Thousands of skydivers do that every weekend, and have been for decades. That doesn't deserve to be a state record.

Another state record for high altitude for going to 14,400 feet? Really? Once again, turbine drop zones all over the country do that every weekend. This isn't a record, this is ordinary. There were two names listed for this "record" - were they the only two people on the plane? I'll bet not. Turbines don't go to 14K for just two people, unless you're shelling out money for the whole load. There were probably plenty of other people on the load too - why weren't their names also included in this record? Oh yeah, because a couple of yahoos wanted to be the first with the paperwork as if it actually means something special.

USPA should have some minimum standards for a State record. Most jumps in a day should be at least 10. Highest altitude should be at least 16k. Or something like that. If someone does a two-way in Rhode Island, is that really worthy of a "record"?

People claiming records like this are making a mockery of record achievements. They should be embarrassed. It might sound cool with their ignorant whuffo friends, but the rest of us know it's pathetic.

Go ahead and criticize me for pointing this out, but you know you're thinking the same thing too, and someone has to come out and say it. I have mercifully smudged out the names of the people pulling this ridiculous stunt, even though they don't deserve to be spared the ridicule.

craigbey

I have mercifully smudged out the names of the people pulling this ridiculous stunt, even though they don't deserve to be spared the ridicule.

Is that why you're posting with an anonymous profile?

That has to do with not getting in trouble at work for using a company computer for non-work functions.

How do I know you're really someone named Craig Bey, Mr. no-home-drop-zone and no-city?

Boogers

USPA has recently opened up a new category of official records for the State level. Many of these State records are nothing more than a joke - just look at the attached image from a recent "Parachutist" magazine. ... USPA should have some minimum standards for a State record.

You know, I have thought about that subject myself.

Who is going to set those minimums? How much time and money is USPA going to spend doing it? And most importantly, how much time are we going to argue about those minimums on dz.com? Whatever minimum is selected, someone will not like it, and there is the possibility that some minimums might be so difficult to meet that no one will try for a record.

Seriously, it is easier and cheaper to not set minimums, even if it creates ridiculous records for a while until they get broken.

And I can vouch for Craig Bey. He is a real skydiver that lives in Iowa.

Hey, you need a new job so you can goof off posting to dropzone.com during work like we do, using our real names. :)

That has to do with not getting in trouble at work for using a company computer for non-work functions.

WTF? How many people work at your company that would post to DZ.COM? Do you really think you are that hard to find? I am in charge of IT at my company and I can guarantee you that not filling in your profile does jack shit to making you more anonymous when it comes to using a company computer for personal use.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I am in charge of IT at my company and I can guarantee you that not filling in your profile does jack shit to making you more anonymous when it comes to using a company computer for personal use.

Shhhh ... we're not supposed to tell them that.

Sincerely,
JAFIT Guy

While I'm getting everyone's panties in a wad, I might as well continue...

How come there is a record for "most jumps in a day" where you have a dozen or more helpers packing multiple rigs and multiple airplanes, but there isn't a record for one guy packing and jumping just one rig all by himself?

How come there are records for "all women" dives, but none for "all men" dives? This sport is equal for both men and women, and there's no reason to segregate them. We don't have separate competitions at Nationals just for women - they compete equally with men. So why have "all women" records?

Records should be reserved for things that are extraordinary.

Boogers

How come there is a record for "most jumps in a day" where you have a dozen or more helpers packing multiple rigs and multiple airplanes, but there isn't a record for one guy packing and jumping just one rig all by himself?

That is a very good question, and I don't know the answer to it. Maybe USPA is just using what record types are already out there already. I guess they can't include every type of record, but that would be a good one to add.

peek

***How come there is a record for "most jumps in a day" where you have a dozen or more helpers packing multiple rigs and multiple airplanes, but there isn't a record for one guy packing and jumping just one rig all by himself?

That is a very good question, and I don't know the answer to it. Maybe USPA is just using what record types are already out there already. I guess they can't include every type of record, but that would be a good one to add.

Actually it is done that way to piss off the cry babies. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

these particular SC records are rather amusing since I'm in SC and know that much higher numbers have been regularly done

i jump at the largest DZ in the state, Skydive Carolina, we might just get motivated to send in paperwork on everything available

our state big way record is 200, that one is fairly safe
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

If it were up to you there'd be no big way records at all - because back when the record was a 10-way it was a joke.

About 10 years ago Kate Cooper and three friends set the women's VRW formation world record at 4. A lot of people gave her grief, too. Then other women started to break that record - which is a much better comeback than whining about it.

Let me put it out there.

I'm not calling out USPA because I'm not sure, but some of these record things are just jokes and money grabbing initiatives (in my opinion).

When I broke a Guinness World Record (most people in Bollywood dance), we each had to pay I think $80 dollars if we wanted a certificate, that's like $15-20k for all of us, not to mention how these records are not well publicised, and people don't bother to compete (heard of most number of belly verticals in a wind tunnel, I have).

If USPA treated these records seriously, I feel that they would have minimum standards. I'm sure plenty of whuffos have heard of HALO jumps from 30k or about people doing 10 skydives in a day.

Anyway, someone should fill me in with how much it costs to apply for a USPA record, in case I'm wrong. In the meantime, I'm going to register for fastest timing for a 99m dash ;)

skyjumpenfool

*** which is a much better comeback than whining about it.

^^^^^ This^^^^^

Go break a record! :)
It's not a real "record" if many other people have done it before, and you're just the first one to fill out paperwork on it. That just makes you a bureaucrat. If you want to lay claim to a record, you ought to go out and actually do something significant. Claiming a record for making 6 jumps in a day, or a jump from 14,400 feet, when hundreds of other people have already done that routinely in the past, makes you a joke.

ianyapxw

Anyway, someone should fill me in with how much it costs to apply for a USPA record, in case I'm wrong.

Actually, someone like yourself should go to the USPA web site like I just did, spending maybe 1 minute to fetch this info from the state record form:

Initial Records ($35), Includes One Certificate.
Additional State Certificates ($10 each)
Additional National Certificates ($10 each)

Honest question: Do you really think these rates are a "money grab"?

Last weekend we set a 20 way sequential record (three points) at a boogie in Georgia.

Hell we all know that can be broke.

But where DO you set the starting point for something like that? In Georgia there are now TWO Otters....(at two different dz's) so it won't be that easy to break it in Georgia - but I'm sure it will get broken and I HOPE it does.

The whole point is skydivers like to break records, if someone is willing to do the paper work - and done right it takes some time - spend the $35 than more power to them!
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Thanks for the info, sorry my bad.

I stated above, my experience was with Guinness World Records and their rate of $20,000 to break a single record sounds like a money grab to me.

But what Boogers says about a person being a bureaucrat and not a record holder still stands. At the very least minimum standards should be moderately difficult to achieve (eg, minimum of alternate loads in a day).

Boogers

****** which is a much better comeback than whining about it.

^^^^^ This^^^^^

Go break a record! :)
It's not a real "record" if many other people have done it before, and you're just the first one to fill out paperwork on it. That just makes you a bureaucrat. If you want to lay claim to a record, you ought to go out and actually do something significant. Claiming a record for making 6 jumps in a day, or a jump from 14,400 feet, when hundreds of other people have already done that routinely in the past, makes you a joke.

It's a record until you go out and make 7 jumps or go to 14,410 feet. Then, the next guy has to go farther, higher, faster, better. Ya gotta start somewhere?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

It's a record

You're kinda right, but you realise you're only arguing from the paperwork perspective?

Then, the next guy has to go farther, higher, faster, better. Ya gotta start somewhere?

That's why we should have minimum standards. Why do you think auctions have a minimum increase, else everyone keeps on increasing by 1 cent. If we could have state records from 1 skydive a day to 10 skydives a day, each record breaking the previous by one, you think anyone will take this seriously?

Is it really that unreasonable to have a minimum of 12 skydives to qualify for the "most skydives in a day" record?

billeisele

these particular SC records are rather amusing since I'm in SC and know that much higher numbers have been regularly done

i jump at the largest DZ in the state, Skydive Carolina, we might just get motivated to send in paperwork on everything available

our state big way record is 200, that one is fairly safe

Hey do you think my National Record in ISSA competition at Skyfest in SC in 2008 counts...:)

male ranking meet result
1. Labhart Christian (SUI) 449.66
2. Snigir Stan (USA) 425.44
3. von Schmalensee Frederik (SWE) 410.61

female ranking meet result
1. Cameron Jeanne (USA) 412.51
2. Olson Jessey (CAN) 199.97
3. Maricle Tanya (USA) 135.57

Congratulations for national records:
Jeanne Cameron (USA) 421.81 km/h average speed
Jessy Olson (CAN) 314.7 km/h average speed

mirage62

Last weekend we set a 20 way sequential record (three points) at a boogie in Georgia.

Hell we all know that can be broke.

But where DO you set the starting point for something like that? In Georgia there are now TWO Otters....(at two different dz's) so it won't be that easy to break it in Georgia - but I'm sure it will get broken and I HOPE it does.

The whole point is skydivers like to break records, if someone is willing to do the paper work - and done right it takes some time - spend the $35 than more power to them!

+1

Fortson has organized state records, as have I. It takes work.

Some people should go out and do it instead of whining.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

peek

Actually, someone like yourself should go to the USPA web site like I just did, spending maybe 1 minute to fetch this info from the state record form:

Initial Records ($35), Includes One Certificate.
Additional State Certificates ($10 each)
Additional National Certificates ($10 each)

Honest question: Do you really think these rates are a "money grab"?

There's more to it than just the fees for the certificates. You also need a USPA certified judge on hand for the attempt. You need to pay the judge something like $100 a day plus possibly travel expenses for their services if you don't have one at your home DZ. The judge also needs to know the dive plan in advance of the jump. That's why there's a lot of unofficial records. Takes too much planning and costs than many people feel is worth the reward. At least that's how it was explained to me.