ZigZagMarquis

Fearless Freddie

wow! That is probably one of the best stories I've read in a long time about our sport. Thanks so much for sharing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, then pass on the thanks, because I agree that it's absolutely great.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

NWFlyer

wow! That is probably one of the best stories I've read in a long time about our sport. Thanks so much for sharing.

I agree. Excellent. I enjoyed it particularly because I was a jump pilot and occasional instructor at Pelicanland where Fred jumped. The Pelicans were a team very hard to beat in the '60s and '70s days of accuracy competition.

I sent the article URL to my younger daughter. I was so moved by nostalgic memories of the wonderful times I had while at Pelicanland that my eyes started to leak as I typed to her.

Great place. Great jumping. Even greater people.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I came across that elsewhere a few days ago...I read the last half through cloudy eyes.

Just read it again here, really gotta get these eyes checked!

The story touches me personally on so many levels...I 'know me' - I haven't even started to process it yet. SO many memories, so MANY messages in there - this is the BEST thing I've read in a REALLY long time! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Boogers

I kept expecting him to get back to Ottley's reaction to the dead freefall raccoon hitting his plane, but he never did. So just what did Ottley actually do?

From about 3/4 of the way down; "Ottley, the founder, died eight years ago. Young spoke at his memorial, and he told the story of the raccoon.

Ottley never reprimanded Fearless Freddie for the damage to the plane. In fact, Ottley paid the entire $8,000 bill without asking questions."

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

jceman

***I kept expecting him to get back to Ottley's reaction to the dead freefall raccoon hitting his plane, but he never did. So just what did Ottley actually do?

From about 3/4 of the way down; "Ottley, the founder, died eight years ago. Young spoke at his memorial, and he told the story of the raccoon.

Ottley never reprimanded Fearless Freddie for the damage to the plane. In fact, Ottley paid the entire $8,000 bill without asking questions."

W.H.O was a pretty cool guy all told...little quirky with a touch of weird - but I like that in a Skydiver!

When I lived in San DIego, Bill would often take the couch at our place if he was in town...he was just as comfortable there as he was in the White House where he was a frequent guest during the Reagan & Bush years.

Bill was a close personal friend of Barbara Bush & it was always interesting to hear his take of some of the political hot topics of the day...

Ottley did a lot for the USPA during his tenure - some of it's known about...much of it isn't. As with not making a big deal regarding the coon dent on the wing, that was his way.

I would sometimes feel kinda bad for the guy, at times he wouldn't get even the most basic respect any human deserves, much less a fellow skydiver who'd given so much to the sport. Ya could tell it bothered him but that too he just let go.

Always looked forward to getting a Christmas card from Bill...every year it was a card-photo of him in a Santa suit...some place off the charts doing something goofy.

My favorite story he told, was how as a very young child of a high ranking Naval Officer...he & his brother sat on their front porch in Hawaii, mesmerized at fireworks show going on a short distance down the road on December 7th 1941.

Next day early in the morning...his father put the two boys on the Pan Am Clipper bound for San Francisco. Shit just got real!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~