funjumper101

What is woke

Not quite.

Woke is just being alert to injustices in society.  Most often used in regards to race, but applicable to injustice to any group of people.  It doesn't mean to be compassionate or kind - it just means you're aware of them.  You can, for example, be woke and simply not care about that injustice.

I think the following is the best description of what Woke means.

It is the modern left/liberal culture created by algorithms on social media. It is characterized by cultlike adherence to rapidly changing ideological foundations rooted in various leftist theories. -- Tim Pool

That’s a definition from the outside to mock, kind of like calling a Christian an adherent to a sect that practices ritual cannibalism. It doesn’t seek to understand or explain, and says more about the person providing the definition than about what they’re trying to describe

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

Part of the reason that Woke is hard for people to define is that what the Woke consider appropriate or part of their doctrine changes pretty quickly. While the previous definitions were at one time correct, if you were to talk to those who consider themselves Woke today, you would get a lot of different definitions, many probably wouldn't even be able to define it. Especially if you asked online or in person and depending on what social media platform. What seems to unite the Woke is their fear of being attacked by their fellow Woke online. Just try and define what women is online and see how many Woke attack you.

31 minutes ago, beowulf said:

Part of the reason that Woke is hard for people to define is that what the Woke consider appropriate or part of their doctrine changes pretty quickly. While the previous definitions were at one time correct, if you were to talk to those who consider themselves Woke today, you would get a lot of different definitions, many probably wouldn't even be able to define it. Especially if you asked online or in person and depending on what social media platform. What seems to unite the Woke is their fear of being attacked by their fellow Woke online. Just try and define what women is online and see how many Woke attack you.

What utter gibberish. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, beowulf said:

Let’s try that again. Same applies to Christians, with some saying others aren’t real Christians, or that they’re doing it wrong. Especially if you ask online (in some venues — like, for instance, a Baptist college discussion board, or maybe among the Amish or Mormons).

Easy, eh? It’s a big world, why not let different groups have different shades of meaning, just like you probably accept among self-proclaimed Republicans (if they caucus with you) or second amendment advocates, even if you disagree on some of the details

Wendy P. 

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Let’s try that again. Same applies to Christians, with some saying others aren’t real Christians, or that they’re doing it wrong. Especially if you ask online (in some venues — like, for instance, a Baptist college discussion board, or maybe among the Amish or Mormons).

Easy, eh? It’s a big world, why not let different groups have different shades of meaning, just like you probably accept among self-proclaimed Republicans (if they caucus with you) or second amendment advocates, even if you disagree on some of the details

Wendy P. 

I see I must have hurt your feelings. I get it you don't like the definition I submitted. "why not let different groups have different shades of meaning"  Nothing I said stops anyone form having a different opinion. It's funny how people get upset when faced with a dissenting opinion.

• Like 1

No, you didn’t. Why would you think that? Because I answered you? Because I’m female and we get our feelings hurt easier? Because I’m apparently liberal and therefore a snowflake? I’m not aware of anything in my response that indicates emotion, just disagreement with your premise

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, beowulf said:

I see I must have hurt your feelings. I get it you don't like the definition I submitted. "why not let different groups have different shades of meaning"  Nothing I said stops anyone form having a different opinion. It's funny how people get upset when faced with a dissenting opinion.

I’ll be your friend.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

No, you didn’t. Why would you think that? Because I answered you? Because I’m female and we get our feelings hurt easier? Because I’m apparently liberal and therefore a snowflake? I’m not aware of anything in my response that indicates emotion, just disagreement with your premise

Wendy P. 

I don't know anything about you. Other than apparently you are female based on your picture. I had no idea you were liberal. I apparently miss read your response. This online communication is really poor. Much of the unsaid part of communication is missing. I apologize for misreading your response.

2 minutes ago, Slim King said:

WOKE is the worldwide execution of MK-ULTRA.

That’s even less reasonable than saying that anyone who disagrees with a specific interpretation of woke is a Nazi racist who enjoys oppression

Wendy P. 

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

That’s even less reasonable than saying that anyone who disagrees with a specific interpretation of woke is a Nazi racist who enjoys oppression

Wendy P. 

Not sure which is weirder the Nazi post from a Moderator or the post about MK-Ultra

6 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Good Lord. Everyone know that "woke" has no meaning anymore other than "something that upsets conservatives and makes them want to belittle others".

Obviously I don't agree with that.

Woke has it's roots in Marxism > Critical Theory > Critical Race Theory > Gender Theory. And appears to be mostly driven by Online Social Media.

Just my observation.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Do you have a wide stance?

Is that the Oregonian way of asking if I am from Texas? I just moved out of Texas recently, but lived there for over 20 years. Jumped mostly at Skydive Dallas, (now Spaceland Dallas, still forget it changed hands). 

Edited by beowulf

5 minutes ago, beowulf said:

Woke has it's roots in Marxism > Critical Theory > Critical Race Theory > Gender Theory. And appears to be mostly driven by Online Social Media.

That may be your observation, but it is not correct. Woke has its roots in 1930s black American culture. But as I stated it has become a right wing insult. It has been co-opted.