Meresa

Thinking of getting back into the sport

OK, so I made a couple hundred jumps back in my twenties, with my last jump a little over 2 1/2 decades ago. Had a C licence and was D qualified before USPA changed the rules.

I am thinking of getting back into the sport, and trying to assess what I would need to do in order to make that happen. My old rig is hopelessly obsolete, it's a 1981 Racer with way too much velcro, and a chest strap that cuts me a lot harder upstairs that it used to. (Alas, this was made just before "women's" rigs with sensible chest straps came out.) I've already accepted the fact that I will need to get a new harness and container and probably new canopies to replace the Django Firefly main and Swift reserve.

Any suggestions on a good rig for a 5'2" 125 lb female? I can afford to buy new, but if I can find a decent gently used rig, all the better.

Also given the length of time not being current I would probably consider going through an entire AFF 7 level course just to be on the safe side. What are good instructors in the Houston area?

Thanks for any assistance!

I have a rig that would be perfect for you. 68 jumps total. H/C and reserve. Possibly the main as well ( gotta make a call or two ). PM me if your interested.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Either Houston DZ will do right by you (I jump at Spaceland). As far as gear, well, I jumped my old gear (also early 1980's) when I got back into the sport, until I found the right used gear. Of course, I'd had my Firefly expanded into a 9-cell by then, so it was plenty big enough even for someone who hadn't jumped in 13 years.

Welcome back

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well the main issue is the chest strap. I'm a bit curvier now that I am older, and the strap is not comfortable (not that it ever was mind you!). I was 23 when I got it, and "ladies" rigs had yet to come into widespread use.

Also, the throw-out is on the leg strap, and I hear that is a no-no if you want to do freeflying. Although that would be a relatively easy fix.

wmw999

Either Houston DZ will do right by you (I jump at Spaceland). As far as gear, well, I jumped my old gear (also early 1980's) when I got back into the sport, until I found the right used gear. Of course, I'd had my Firefly expanded into a 9-cell by then, so it was plenty big enough even for someone who hadn't jumped in 13 years.

Welcome back

Wendy P.

Well I am not back yet. But I am researching it. :)

Will contact you in more detail when I get back from Roatan at the end of Oct.

Thanks again!!

There are actually quite a few of us out at Spaceland who had been jumpers in the 80s and allowed life to get in the way of us and skydiving. I got back into the sport going on 3 years ago after a 21 year layoff and could not be happier getting back in the sky.

My opinion on gear may be a little different. I'm an engineer and one of the aspects of the sport that pleasantly surprised me since I jumped last in 1990 was the gear, and the advancements in safety that had come (AADs, RSL/Skyhook & gear made to incorporate those advancements in the safest possible ways). Spaceland has new, excellent student rigs with AAD/Skyhook RSLs, you can use those during training and then decide what you want to do. If you can afford it, why expose yourself to potentially greater risk with less safe gear than what is available now? JMHO.

Welcome back!

Randy

given the length of time not being current I would probably consider going through an entire AFF 7 level course just to be on the safe side

I don't think that will be necessary. The first jump course will cover everything you need to know in order to make an instructor supervised jump. Combined with your previous experience, sitting through the class should be enough to get you back up to speed.

In terms of jumping, talk to the instructional staff at the DZ and see what they want to do. Chances are will be something along the lines of one AFF-rated instructor, who will put together a dive-flow you're both comfortable with. Subsequent dives will all be dependent on how things go on the fist jump, so planning much beyond that is pointless.

Keep in mind that you are free to progress as slowly as you want, so you can continue to jump with instructors and/or coaches as long as you need to feel comfortable before being released back in the 'general population'.

My old rig is hopelessly obsolete

You're right. Some have chimed in that it will work 'just fine', but that's not exactly true when compared to newer gear.

It's like this - you have a 'nice' 1979 Ford Pinto, and you need to take a road trip. You can take the Pinto or rent a 2013 model. Yes, the Pinto runs, and 'should' be fine and get you where you need to be in one piece, but the rental will do a much better job, it will be safer, and stands a better of chance of not breaking down.

So while you might be able to make a 'parachute descent' with your old rig, a newer rig will do a better job, be safer, more comfortable, and will general just make your skydives more fun.

As far as new vs used, that's up to you and your wallet. I would recommend a used main, however, as used z-po mains will perform just as good as new (unlike the old F-111 models) and are just easier to pack. New z-po canopies are very slippery (almost like a garbage bag) and it makes packing a chore.

Overall, go to Spaceland and see what they say. Sit through the class, make a couple of jumps on the rental gear, and go from there.

Good luck with this. I came back to the sport a few years back after a 15 year lay off. My first jump was from 5 k and about 10 seconds just to get the feel. Now doing all I was back in the 90's. Lots of things have changed and the sports got many more disciplines but is still the same at heart. Just wish id never left in the first place...but that's marriage for you, took a divorce for me to see sense.

PastorPete

Hi Meresa:
I was out of the sport for 29 years 10 months. Came back July 11 last year. I sat in on the IAD and 1st jump courses, wrote the exams and did 4 coach jumps for recurrency training.
It's great to be back, hope you go for it.
Blue skies

Thank you.

PS Are you a pastor? I'll bet that gets some raised eyebrows from the congregation!

This may be worth checking out for you. Seems like a decent deal also look at the sellers other items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-DEAL-COMPLETE-RIG-MEDIUM-Shadow-Racer-2K3-ONE-ONLY-Hangover-3-/300992948816?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160#ht_4353wt_982

Congrats! You can go by the Spaceland gear store to see if they have anything there that will work for you, either rig or jumpsuit.

There's at least one rig in the DZ.com classifieds that's in your range - you can look there too. Be prepared for sticker shock

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Congrats! You can go by the Spaceland gear store to see if they have anything there that will work for you, either rig or jumpsuit.

There's at least one rig in the DZ.com classifieds that's in your range - you can look there too. Be prepared for sticker shock

Wendy P.

NOTHING shocks me any more lol!