grumpylittleman

Last stage AFF the hop and pop

I've recently gone through the AFF course and had some nerves when it came to the hop and pop, mine were caused by it being sprung on me about 30 mins before we went up, I'd done 16 jumps by this point and had settled down quite nicely. My nerves also came from it being my first time jumping my own pack job, I had a terrible exit and line twists probably caused by my not being very stable when I pulled. Needless to say I had to have another go at the hop and pop, got my head together by reminding myself I was sub-terminal and had plenty of time to get stable.
Wearing brown trousers helps!

For me it was my fondest AFF moment i.e. a short climb to height: did a nice poised exit off the Cessna, counted, pulled, nice soft opening: flew the pattern and landed. `Did I pass?' I asked the instructor to which came the reply `you are alive aren't you?'.

On my very first jump following my A license a student was doing his Hop-n-Pop out of the Cessna 206 (Hemet, CA). His chute opened in a pile of crap and he did everything correct, had plenty of time and still managed to stand it up in the center of the peas.

Of course I was freaking out watching him from the aircraft.