Oyinko

Norwegian skydiver nearly struck by meteorite

BigMikeH77

Very incredible - could have been a rock that got packed into the canopy, too.

Which canopy? The invisible man that jumped out after him? The two wingsuits were last out. Nothing above them but sky

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Oyinko

My first reaction is that I would have thought it would be moving much faster if it were a meteorite.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

My first reaction is that I would have thought it would be moving much faster if it were a meteorite.

this
I would think you may not even be able to see it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Oyinko

Lucky man!

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nearly-struck-by-meteorite-1.11646757

Well no, truth be said from my perspective: he would have been the unluckiest man to be HIT by a meteorite. :D

sundevil777

Not by the time it's so close to earth and it exhausted all the extra speed during the entering into the atmosphere (the part when they "burn") and subsequent descent through it.
At this point it would be the exact same speed of a rock of the same size thrown by the aircraft, for example. Terminal speed is not influenced by your past "history" too much. :)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Okay I'm wrong it wasn't packed into the main of the jumper on yellow/black. HOWEVER.. The exit shows the yellow/black wingsuit exiting first, and then the video switches to the POV of the yellow/black jumper. Meaning, there was someone above him. The rock could have originated in THAT main, or maybe even have been deliberately dropped. Just being cautious about believing such an incredible story.

Di0

***Lucky man!

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nearly-struck-by-meteorite-1.11646757

Well no, truth be said from my perspective: he would have been the unluckiest man to be HIT by a meteorite. :D

sundevil777

Not by the time it's so close to earth and it exhausted all the extra speed during the entering into the atmosphere (the part when they "burn") and subsequent descent through it.
At this point it would be the exact same speed of a rock of the same size thrown by the aircraft, for example. Terminal speed is not influenced by your past "history" too much. :)

When an object is originally moving as fast as a meteorite would be moving, then I am not at all sure that it can be expected that the energy would be "exhausted" as you say.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

When an object is originally moving as fast as a meteorite would be moving, then I am not at all sure that it can be expected that the energy would be "exhausted" as you say.

Something that small toward the end?
Yep, it would. We jump in the last km of atmosphere, a meteorite has a good 100km at least to start the deceleration. A meteorite that, after the burnout part, remains that small, it would decelerate pretty quickly and be at at a normal terminal velocity by the time it is in the part of atmosphere we live in.
It simply has a very small inertia, which means it looses speed very fast, the inertia of a "stupid" rock, it doesn't matter where it comes from. And thus it slows down with the exact same characteristics of a rock. Friction, especially when at higher speeds, would be the leading force VS gravity attraction (the opposite is true for a big rock).

Of course, different story is for massive meteorites with bigger inertia and with bigger gravity attraction forces, but as far as a rock like that is concerned, I am positive it has to fall at a regular terminal velocity shortly after the initial shocks, even if we accept the "meteorite theory".
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

Di0

Something that small toward the end?
Yep, it would. We jump in the last km of atmosphere, a meteorite has a good 100km at least to start the deceleration. A meteorite that, after the burnout part, remains that small, it would decelerate pretty quickly and be at at a normal terminal velocity by the time it is in the part of atmosphere we live in.
It simply has a very small inertia, which means it looses speed very fast, the inertia of a "stupid" rock, it doesn't matter where it comes from. And thus it slows down with the exact same characteristics of a rock. Friction, especially when at higher speeds, would be the leading force VS gravity attraction (the opposite is true for a big rock).

Of course, different story is for massive meteorites with bigger inertia and with bigger gravity attraction forces, but as far as a rock like that is concerned, I am positive it has to fall at a regular terminal velocity shortly after the initial shocks, even if we accept the "meteorite theory".

Yes, after a little research, it seems to be confirmed - the small ones can slow down to normal speeds. I should have checked, but I thought that given their 10 to 70 km/s speeds that they would be through the atmosphere too quickly to slow down.

Here's a link to a similar size rock that did more damage to a car than I would think would be done by a rock that size at normal terminal velocity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Benldmeteorite.jpg

AhahahAHAHAH!

Yeah, that's a nice hole. Actually, I didn't know about the story of Benld Meteorite, thanks for sharing the link! :)

That being said, not to sound immodest but I am an aerospace engineer and I have studied the topics of atmosphere reentry, supersonic aerodynamics and fluidynamics, compressible and rarefied flows, shock-wave formation, for long enough. :)
So I was quite sure of what I was saying. But no problem, it just happened to be my cup of tea!
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

I ran this by my dad, who's a professor of lunar and planetary science (I figured he might have some insight). His response:

"I'm betting it's NOT a freshly-falling meteorite, for four reasons:

1) They haven't been able to find it. The terrain looks pretty bad for finding a meteorite, but when people have known there was a meteorite there, they've found them with much larger search areas than they have. Often, the search areas have been square miles. The meteorite would be coming straight down, so if you know where he is to within a quarter-mile or so, it shouldn't be too hard. But it could have fallen in a river or something.

2) They don't say what the fireball looked like a few seconds before, and I don't see a second sun (it might not have been that bright, but it would have been close) in any of their videos. It definitely would have been seen by a lot of people, falling in the middle of the day on a nice day, unless perhaps it came in from over the ocean, in which case only the satellites would have seen it.

3) Passage through the atmosphere rounds off any square corners. That's a very flat-looking side with square corners.

4) As long as the meteorite is a fireball, it's going faster than the speed of sound, experience high mechanical stresses. So it keeps breaking up and (since it's going so fast) instantly forming more dark fusion crust. When it gets to dark flight, it's covered by fusion crust. When it hits the ground, it may break up, exposing different colored material on the inside. But this one has different colored minerals exposed on one side, according to the expert. That sounds like a meteorite that's bounced.

Thus, I doubt that it's a meteorite in dark flight. So what it is?

I'd guess it came from the third wingsuiter, the one they didn't show, who dropped a meteorite from just above him. Or maybe it was just a vaguely meteorite-looking rock, since a real meteorite that size would cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Maybe I'm too skeptical, but what day was it posted, April 1?"