Boogers

Pieing Choice

We have a tradition in this sport of "pieing" jumpers who reach certain milestones in their careers. The first one is usually at 100 jumps, when they're tricked into stepping outside under false pretenses, whereupon a horde of other jumpers smack them in the face with pies.

My poll question today is: What's the best type of material to use for pieing?

I've seen problems with real pies when they came frozen and weren't thawed out sufficiently, causing a person to be hit in the face with pies that are still hard as a brick inside. Giving someone a bloody nose kind of takes all the fun out of it.

And then there's shaving cream, which seems to be substituted because the canned whipped cream requires refrigeration, which can be a problem in some places. The problem with shaving cream is that if it's accidentally ingested, I've seen it cause a scary medical reaction. And of course, it can't actually be eaten, which is part of the fun of watching the victim sample-taste the goo on his face.

So my material of choice is whipped cream. It's cheap, you spray it on a pie plate, it's soft, it's messy, and achieves all the desired fun effects, without any negative side effects. It even encourages the hilarity of other people licking it off of their face. And lastly, the dogs will even clean up the mess on the ground for you afterwards.

What say you?

It's all nasty, but this is one case where non-dairy whipped topping is better. It's a little less rancid when it gets all up in your nose.

A little. It's still gross.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Boogers

Seems like I've heard someone complain of a pieing leaving stains in their clothing that would not come out, but I can't remember what the substance was that did that.

I know the liquid inside a cyalume light stick will do that.

Real whipped cream will definitely leave a smell in your clothes that's hard to get out, especially if you're not able to wash the clothing relatively quickly after the pieing. Why it's definitely not cool to pie someone when they're still wearing their $500 jumpsuit. Better to trash a free boogie t-shirt instead.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Heavy whipping cream, freshly whipped with vanilla extract and sugar, will not smell rancid after lingering. I was pied with freshly whipped cream in the dead of winter at a dropzone party where the water lines were frozen. A few hours later, after cleaning up with only paper towels, I still couldn't smell that awful rancid smell that develops after getting ready whip in your hair, nose, and ears.

Andy9o8

You people are pitiful, and have no reverence for tradition. If it's not a real pie, it's not a pie.

Well if it's got to be a real pie, make it a cream pie, like coconut or chocolate. Don't use something with a hard crust on top like cherry or apple. Besides, cherry and apple would be much better for eating.

Whipped cream does have one nasty side effect. If it's left in clothing for more than a few minutes, it creates a funk you can never get out.

My favorite is any pie the DZ dog will clean up so we don't have to. Avoid pie with real chocolate for that reason - unless of course you don't like the DZ dog.;)

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

How about congratulating the person, shaking his or her hand, and maybe buying them a beer? I've never understood the need to splatter food all over someone who just reached a significant milestone. Seems to me like a sincere congratulation might be the more respectful move. I know it's tradition. I just don't get it.

AndyBoyd

How about congratulating the person, shaking his or her hand, and maybe buying them a beer? I've never understood the need to splatter food all over someone who just reached a significant milestone. Seems to me like a sincere congratulation might be the more respectful move. I know it's tradition. I just don't get it.

+1

AndyBoyd

How about congratulating the person, shaking his or her hand, and maybe buying them a beer?

Yep. Rright after they wash that nasty pie shit off their faces. Probably wouldn't need to buy 'em a beer, though. Any DZ worth jumping at already has a fridge full.

I've never understood the need to splatter food all over someone who just reached a significant milestone. Seems to me like a sincere congratulation might be the more respectful move. I know it's tradition. I just don't get it.

Nope. You sure don't.

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Boogers

We have a tradition in this sport of "pieing" jumpers who reach certain milestones in their careers. The first one is usually at 100 jumps, when they're tricked into stepping outside under false pretenses, whereupon a horde of other jumpers smack them in the face with pies.

Think I gots it wrong. 100jumps is just a naked, with a THOUSAND, you get the pie.

Whoever complains about stains, give him/her another. You know it's gonna happen, so get on your oldies. Bad fashion to smack the person "hard".
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

david3

***How about congratulating the person, shaking his or her hand, and maybe buying them a beer? I've never understood the need to splatter food all over someone who just reached a significant milestone. Seems to me like a sincere congratulation might be the more respectful move. I know it's tradition. I just don't get it.

+1

Silly string? :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I voted 'other', for cake. I think pies are just less of a thing here in general, both for eating and for *ahem* ceremonial use.

Have seen a couple of people get messily caked, and I like it :)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

TriGirl

******How about congratulating the person, shaking his or her hand, and maybe buying them a beer? I've never understood the need to splatter food all over someone who just reached a significant milestone. Seems to me like a sincere congratulation might be the more respectful move. I know it's tradition. I just don't get it.

+1

Silly string? :)
Silly string is a fun idea... and certainly not as messy. Though I do like cake. mmmmm. cake...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

chuckakers

***You people are pitiful, and have no reverence for tradition. If it's not a real pie, it's not a pie.

Good point Andy. Strawberry rhubarb is pretty awesome. Stains really well too.

Thank you, I've decided what kind of pie my husband will get when he reaches 1000 (can you believe he wasn't pied for 100, and I'm told it's been too long to go back and get him for it).

They got me with a strawberry cream pie that was dropped and scooped back into the pan. It actually worked out well since it was able to be messier that way :)
Edit: I think real pie (or something yummy) is absolutely the way to go. Cake sounds like a great idea, too.

Admittedly, I'm an old new guy if that makes any sense and looking at the number of jumps on my profile, you can see a pie event with me the center of attention is in my immediate future...quite possibly this weekend.

First, I think it's all in good fun. 100 jumps is a milestone but it also seems like yesterday when I did my first. Those on the "giving" end are my friends so I know they mean the best for me and most of them have watched me progress.

I'm certainly not critical of your position. The way I see it, pieing is both a right of passage and a means of your freinds saying..."You're doing good, we like you, we're glad you're jumping with us, we're glad you're here, but stay humble!"

I love this sport, I'm hooked, etc etc. But it is a dangerous sport...a sport where a little bit of ego can produce disastrous effects both for the individual skydiver and those around them.

I've seen ego in excess have negative effects in other endeavors.

Keep the tradition...bring the pies!

I find wasting food that could be eaten (and a real pie is food) for a "prank" personally disgusting.

Cheap whipped cream, I am totally OK wiht (it's not much and it's chemical for the most part, and it's not that you can "eat" whipped cream if you're hungry), but wasting a couple of good "real" pies for this, honestly would upset me. Of course, shaving cream is fine, whatever. It's the gesture that matters to me, not the material item that gets in your face.

Maybe it's just me being anal, maybe it's not a big deal for everybody else, but that's how I was raised and it really-really-really-really bothers me. If I were in the "buying committee", I would personally oppose buying real pies for a pieing ceremony.
I think it can be called pet-peeve, right?
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

I find wasting food that could be eaten (and a real pie is food) for a "prank" personally disgusting.

Cheap whipped cream, I am totally OK wiht (it's not much and it's chemical for the most part, and it's not that you can "eat" whipped cream if you're hungry), but wasting a couple of good "real" pies for this, honestly would upset me. Of course, shaving cream is fine, whatever. It's the gesture that matters to me, not the material item that gets in your face.

Maybe it's just me being anal, maybe it's not a big deal for everybody else, but that's how I was raised and it really-really-really-really bothers me. If I were in the "buying committee", I would personally oppose buying real pies for a pieing ceremony.
I think it can be called pet-peeve, right?

Well, if you buy any store-made/freezer section pie, it's also mostly just chemical :)
But I do understand your point.

AndyBoyd

How about congratulating the person, shaking his or her hand, and maybe buying tem a make them buy beer? I've never understood the need to splatter food all over someone who just reached a significant milestone. Seems to me like a sincere congratulation might be the more respectful move. I know it's tradition. I just don't get it.

FIFY. Otherwise I agree. Pieing isn't done at our DZ, but the beer rules are enforced rather strictly/liberally.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

The way I see it, pieing is both a right of passage and a means of your freinds saying..."You're doing good, we like you, we're glad you're jumping with us, we're glad you're here, but stay humble!"

This is a reasonable comment, I have to agree. You could just say that to the person, though, without splattering food all over him or her. Look I know it's tradition, and the tradition is very much alive at my DZ. I guess I'm in the minority here, and that's OK. Carry on.