edjackson

Longer container

Hello,

I am looking for a container that is a little longer than what is currently on the market. Over the years, containers have gotten shorter which makes reaching for the hacky sack difficult due to shoulder issues. Are there any manufacturers that are willing to make a custom container that is longer like the ones made in the late 90s or early 2000s? I have purchased two new custom containers and still have not found what I am looking for. I have seen one manufacturer that has an extended container advertised but when I called they said it was made for small canopies. I jump a 170 main. Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't feel comfortable going back to using a leg strap mounted pilot chute so hopefully, I can find a manufacturer willing to assist.

Thank you

Ed

Edited by edjackson

48 minutes ago, edjackson said:

Hello,

I am looking for a container that is a little longer than what is currently on the market. Over the years, containers have gotten shorter which makes reaching for the hacky sack difficult due to shoulder issues. Are there any manufacturers that are willing to make a custom container that is longer like the ones made in the late 90s or early 2000s? I have purchased two new custom containers and still have not found what I am looking for. I have seen one manufacturer that has an extended container advertised but when I called they said it was made for small canopies. I jump a 170 main. Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't feel comfortable going back to using a leg strap mounted pilot chute so hopefully, I can find a manufacturer willing to assist.

Thank you

Ed

Hi Ed,

These guys will:  Velocity Skydiving Equipment | Infinity Rigs and Skydiving Gear (velocityrigs.com)

He has a software program to make any dimensional changes you might want.

Jerry Baumchen

Hey Ed, There are several manufacturers with "Longer" Rigs for sale. Feel free to contact me for more info. But you can check out the "L" variants of the Mirage G4.2s or the Icon L series gear. Both are definitely longer than your average. The Icon is the longest standard size I have seen of any rig to date. It is loooong.

The original vector 3 patterns before the micron m series tended to be longer. I also second the Infinity rigs. I hate to say it but... Racer also has some longer designs. You can also fudge this in the harness construction to some degree. If you minimize or remove the stagger at the hip and make the MLW long enough you shift the container lower on your back. That also meant that your shifting the curve of the shoulder down lower on the yoke. Some riser covers can handle this better then others. Some designs will become less secure over the shoulder and you may be choosing a longer yoke to place the chest strap where you want.

To be clear in not advocating this as a solution I'm more warning of the risk of trying to fudge it this way. Your on the right track of thinking about a container pattern set that will fit your back rather then a harness. Some companies will extend the main tray that might give you that extra inch and more room for that 170.

Lee

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have another question if it is allowed. Is there a place that has a large selection of used or stock containers that I can try on? I've had bad luck with new custom containers. I've noticed that sometimes when I try on a rig of one of the jumpers at the DZ it fits me well. I'm willing to fly anywhere in the US to try a few on. Thanks again. Ed

well any large boogie (you just missed PAI which would have been ideal) should have vendors with wares.

US Nationals?

Eloy has a firebird center that may be of interest?

Go to Z hills / Deland?

Perris used to have a GREAT gear store, now = blech