2 2
brenthutch

Woke pandering backfires

I watch the hatred in the USA from afar and just shake my head.

The attacks against trans people to garner votes is disgusting. And those that shoot Bud Light cans are fuckwits.

Dylan is a great kid. Funny, charming and loving. And has 10 million followers on tik tok.

Today’s younger generation just laughs at morons like Kid Rock, who they don’t even know who he is.

Talking joy in this…seriously?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, grimmie said:

Today’s younger generation just laughs at morons like Kid Rock, who they don’t even know who he is.

That's why I don't worry too much.  The under-30 crowd will be running things in a decade or so, and they don't have a problem with gay people, or trans people, or science, or EV's, or justice.  Sometimes it just takes time for the older generation to stop running things.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's why I don't worry too much.  The under-30 crowd will be running things in a decade or so, and they don't have a problem with gay people, or trans people, or science, or EV's, or justice.  Sometimes it just takes time for the older generation to stop running things.

I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Sometimes it just takes time for the older generation to stop running things.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I'm looking forward to it.

Just gotta vote that way. Even when it's someone experienced. Age doesn't rule everything, but it sure makes a big difference to me any more, especially in the primaries. Even people like Elizabeth Warren are fair game. She knows a lot, but other people know more about other stuff.

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

The thing about the younger generation is that as they mature they become wiser and more and more like the preceding generation.

Just now, grimmie said:

I watch the hatred in the USA from afar and just shake my head.

The attacks against trans people to garner votes is disgusting. And those that shoot Bud Light cans are fuckwits.

Dylan is a great kid. Funny, charming and loving. And has 10 million followers on tik tok.

Talking joy in this…seriously?

Yup. You can tell a LOT about a society, or segments of one, by how they treat minorities and marginalized people.

Do they show compassion and care for someone who is struggling with being 'different'?

Or do they gang up on them, bully and ostracize them, threatening violence?

Dan Rather has an interesting piece on the current behavior of the 'anti' crowd:

https://steady.substack.com/p/stop-it?r=du1sl&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&fbclid=IwAR38Pw0BvJa2V-EAPzpqqaljf0immHCa2GM0aPwboFgYaErs1cudcPf6nm8

From it:

History is replete with the horrors inflicted by those who wielded the power of position and privilege against those who had little to none of either. Persecution has taken many forms — legal, cultural, economic, and social. It has led to unimaginable suffering, violence, and death — even reaching the scale of genocide. 

And we should be clear that claims of “this is abhorrent,” “this isn’t how things should be done,” “this isn’t natural,” or “this is dangerous” are the kind of rhetoric long used to attack the “other,” no matter who it may be. 

We have seen these attacks lobbed at other members of the LGBTQ community. We have seen them target interracial marriage, the customs of non-Christians, and communities of immigrants. 

We have seen discrimination wielded time and again as a cudgel for those with power to bolster their standing by picking on others. It is bullying, pure and simple. 

The purpose of these attacks on the trans community is transparent. It’s about political power, and a power built on division. It’s about picking on those who have the least ability to defend themselves, including and especially children. 

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Weeeeeell There is MTG, Matt Gaetz,Lauren Boebert, etc. A whole new crowd of young republicans. In the mold of MAGA.

I completely agree that demographics are not on the side of an old, bigoted, misogynist, GOP. Unfortunately there isn't a new, young, compassionate conservative leadership forming.

Where is the new, the next, Adam Kinzinger? The replacement for Liz Cheney?

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Weeeeeell There is MTG, Matt Gaetz,Lauren Boebert, etc. A whole new crowd of young republicans.

Yep.  I can't help but thinking that they are not real; that you are not seeing anything other than an actor's portrayal of a character that will garner power from the older conservatives.  That partly comes from a feeling that no one could be that dumb (secret Jewish space lasers?) and that instead such statements are merely ill-considered dog whistles.

But who knows?

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  I can't help but thinking that they are not real; that you are not seeing anything other than an actor's portrayal of a character that will garner power from the older conservatives.  That partly comes from a feeling that no one could be that dumb (secret Jewish space lasers?) and that instead such statements are merely ill-considered dog whistles.

But who knows?

I think MTG is 100% real. Boebert and Gaetz believe some of what they say and just play to the crowd for the rest but are too dumb to do it well (see their many disastrous committee appearances). When it comes to pretending to be in the MAGA crowd despite really knowing better, Josh Hawley has to be king.

16 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The thing about the younger generation is that as they mature they become wiser and more and more like the preceding generation.

That's why leftie rags like the Financial Times are writing things like: "Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics: Western conservatives are at risk from generations of voters who are no longer moving to the right as they age:rofl:

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Of course the MAGA morons are losing their shit over it.

Of all the people I'd expect the MAGA idiots to call a "RINO", Coke-head Jr is NOT one of them.

But, of course, the MAGA fools never cease to surprise me with how fucking stupid they can be.

25 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Of course the MAGA morons are losing their shit over it.

Of all the people I'd expect the MAGA idiots to call a "RINO", Coke-head Jr is NOT one of them.

But, of course, the MAGA fools never cease to surprise me with how fucking stupid they can be.

In fairness, if their attentions need be directed anywhere we could do worse than the cancellation of Bud Light.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 8:49 PM, JoeWeber said:

That, I doubt. Chick-fil-a is a Christian, anti-abortion, anti-Liberal, anti-woke business to it's core. Christians flocked to it a few years back as a way of owning Liberals. They have a rock solid clientele.

As a southerner, it's shite fried chicken though. The breading is unnatural IMO.

Those waffle fries though.

31 minutes ago, grimmie said:

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/14/conservatives-plot-text-warning-woke-products

Now you can figure out who supports people you hate easily.

Hi Rich,

A very interesting article.  My money says it will backfire on them.

From your link:  Conservative musicians such as Kid Rock . . .

Kid Rock is a musician; hmm, when did that happen?

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Rich,

A very interesting article.  My money says it will backfire on them.

From your link:  Conservative musicians such as Kid Rock . . .

Kid Rock is a musician; hmm, when did that happen?

Jerry Baumchen

Well he ain't no rocket surgeon.

“I could have been good at school, I just didn’t see any use for it. If people want to study hard to be a doctor or a lawyer that’s great. I had to work at other things: fucking bitches, counting money, how to make money…” (2002)

“If you ever wanted to rob a trailer park, do it during a Kid Rock concert. When I hit town, the trailer parks empty out and everyone comes to the show.” (2008)

Hardly any wonder MAGA republicans love him. Nor any wonder that he is a regular speaker at NRA conventions.