2 2
brenthutch

Woke pandering backfires

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Since you are unwilling to admit the obvious, let me help. Target failed to learn the harsh lesson of the Bud Light debacle and suffered the same consequences.  Lippy (and apparently you) seem to think there is no relationship to a $12.4 billion dollar drop in market cap and the anti-woke backlash.

I am not suggesting that at all. I provided you two other instances where "wokeness" existed without a real reaction to it. So in your infinite wisdom, what can be learned from that. When do you think "wokeness" leads to a business impact and when does it not?

Why did the Trump pride merchandise not lead to a reaction? Why is the new VP not leading to any real impact to Chick-fil-A. According to you Target and Bud Light's experience should mean there is going to be a large impact?

So is it really "wokeness" that is a problem, or people reacting to poorly thought out commentary on twitter and other online sources of "information"? From my point of view it has more to do with "mob mentality".

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Why did the Trump pride merchandise not lead to a reaction? Why is the new VP not leading to any real impact to Chick-fil-A. According to you Target and Bud Light's experience should mean there is going to be a large impact?

So is it really "wokeness" that is a problem, or people reacting to poorly thought out commentary on twitter and other online sources of "information"? From my point of view it has more to do with "mob mentality".

With respect to Trump and Chick-fil-A, that would just be a matter of “woke-washing”. Just like the LGBQABCDEFG++ community did not attack Obama when he said that marriage was between a man and a woman. 

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

With respect to Trump and Chick-fil-A, that would just be a matter of “woke-washing”.

So being woke isn't a problem if you have pandered enough to the "anti-woke" crowd? So how are companies supposed to learn their lessons? Howl would a company know if they are "anti-woke"  enough to sell Pride merchandise or hire a VP of Diversity and Inclusion?

On the Obama "whataboutism" I am sure you can understand, or I am at least hopeful you are smart enough to understand that starting from not supporting same sex marriage to then changing your stance to approve of same-sex marriage is very different from what we are discussing.

27 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

So being woke isn't a problem if you have pandered enough to the "anti-woke" crowd? So how are companies supposed to learn their lessons? Howl would a company know if they are "anti-woke"  enough to sell Pride merchandise or hire a VP of Diversity and Inclusion?

On the Obama "whataboutism" I am sure you can understand, or I am at least hopeful you are smart enough to understand that starting from not supporting same sex marriage to then changing your stance to approve of same-sex marriage is very different from what we are discussing.

What? Believing that biological men can not become women to believing that they can?

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

What? Believing that biological men can not become women to believing that they can?

Turns out I was wrong being hopeful.

Anyways, you didn't answer any of the questions about how companies would know they are "anti-woke" enough to have pride merchandise. I figured somebody with an MBA and who has stated how easy it should be for companies to leanr could easily answer something like that....

15 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

So being woke isn't a problem if you have pandered enough to the "anti-woke" crowd?

Exactly.  Beat up a trans woman, or announce you are going to fire all your gay employees, and you become a Hero of the Anti-Woke and get the bigot vote back.

Or review bomb a film because they hired a black actor. A bunch of racists - outright, unmitigated racists - have again attempted to overwhelm IMDB with hordes of bots posting 1 star reviews of The Little Mermaid just because the lead character is now black. 

And at least one of our lovely contributors is standing proudly with them.

20 minutes ago, jakee said:

Or review bomb a film because they hired a black actor. A bunch of racists - outright, unmitigated racists - have again attempted to overwhelm IMDB with hordes of bots posting 1 star reviews of The Little Mermaid just because the lead character is now black.

Disgusting. We all know that in every verified mermaid sighting, they have all been white!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Turns out I was wrong being hopeful.

Anyways, you didn't answer any of the questions about how companies would know they are "anti-woke" enough to have pride merchandise. I figured somebody with an MBA and who has stated how easy it should be for companies to leanr could easily answer something like that....

Easy, estimate the number of potential customers for whom a “tuck-friendly” children’s bathing suit would appeal vs the number of potential customers for whom it would offend.

37 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Easy, estimate the number of potential customers for whom a “tuck-friendly” children’s bathing suit would appeal vs the number of potential customers for whom it would offend.

Ahh yes, that's what I thought. You didn't actually think, you just followed what you saw on twitter or some other right wing social media site.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-target-swimsuits-transgender-pride-collection-892500330955

So, turns out that it isn't that "easy" since anti-woke people like you just make shit up to be outraged about.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2023/05/26/no-target-isnt-selling-kids-tuck-friendly-swimsuit-fact-check/70251989007/

https://www.businessinsider.in/retail/news/no-target-didnt-offer-tuck-friendly-bathing-suits-for-kids-here-what-is-and-isnt-part-of-its-pride-celebration-line-/articleshow/100486013.cms

https://news.yahoo.com/targets-tuck-friendly-swimsuits-only-161611982.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADZ-UNs4BHnARvoUt8rmB2OsRVnUnTkE623jbD8c-V0HZVnyO5HRpLQgxYBE_EsWCS5NZKKeHRqNhi6ABy_uEXd6MTLDUEcTQB3K9zDy7yLfBA9XnZKGyAXForpHS0OlmQIb3mzPf1figgRQC2fcQfXTkbpjnE3Ic6ftGkVC3-wB

Notice how all these articles have been around for about a week now...and somehow you still have not been able to educate yourself. It should have been easy, cause it is mostly all mentioned in the headline already and we all know you generally are unable to read more than just that.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Why would it offend? No one is making them consider it or buy it.

Wendy P.

It's a fucking mermaid for God's sake. Fictional. Story-telling shit. Black mermaids have been around for hundreds of years. Fuck me. With everything that's going on in the world - this is some people's biggest issue? 

Dr. Cueto, Associate Professor, Teaching, Learning & Sociocultural Studies at Arizona State, about her research on Black mermaid folklore and mythology. “I don’t even understand the controversy. That blows my mind. We have always had Black mermaids, and they go back in African mythology since before the time of slavery, she said. “Mami Wata was the deity who traveled with the slaves along their path through the Middle Passage.”

Do we not remember the book, "Sukey & the Mermaid?" Spoiler alert: They were both black. People need to go back to work. 

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Why would it offend? No one is making them consider it or buy it.

Wendy P.

I don’t know, but enough folks were offended enough for the stock to loose $12.4 billion in value.  I don’t get why a “tuck-friendly” suit is even needed. Haven’t y’all decided that it is fine for women to have a penis? Why would they try to hide it? 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t know, but enough folks were offended enough for the stock to loose $12.4 billion in value.  I don’t get why a “tuck-friendly” suit is even needed. 

Why are girdles needed?  Are you ashamed of being fat?  If not, why not outlaw them, or boycott any store that sells them?

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

It's a fucking mermaid for God's sake. Fictional. Story-telling shit. Black mermaids have been around for hundreds of years. Fuck me. With everything that's going on in the world - this is some people's biggest issue? 

Dr. Cueto, Associate Professor, Teaching, Learning & Sociocultural Studies at Arizona State, about her research on Black mermaid folklore and mythology. “I don’t even understand the controversy. That blows my mind. We have always had Black mermaids, and they go back in African mythology since before the time of slavery, she said. “Mami Wata was the deity who traveled with the slaves along their path through the Middle Passage.”

Do we not remember the book, "Sukey & the Mermaid?" Spoiler alert: They were both black. People need to go back to work. 

You really want boil their brains, tell them the real story behind Andersen's tale of mermaids. Andersen wrote it as a love letter to his gay crush who had rejected him and married a woman. 

https://bookstr.com/article/the-little-mermaid-originally-a-gay-love-letter-to-authors-crush-the-little-mermaid-originally-meant-as-gay-love-letter-to-authors-crush/

• Like 3

Oh this is REALLY going to trigger all the homophobes and transphobes out there.  Will we see a boycott of Blue Cross next?

defac131-7e84-15e2-68a7-123077c92dbe.jpg

In support of the Boston area’s LGBTQIA+ community, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts is rolling out 100 rainbow-themed Bluebikes across the Bluebikes system, in celebration of Pride Month in June.

Ride a Proud Bike & Support Fenway Health

For every ride taken on a Blue Cross Proud bike during the month of June, Blue Cross will donate $1 (up to $10,000) to Fenway Health, which works to enhance the well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and beyond through access to the highest quality health care, education, research and advocacy. Lyft, which operates Bluebikes under contract with the municipal owners, will contribute $1 per ride after the 10,000th Proud ride.

This is the fourth year that Blue Cross has made Proud bike-driven donations to Fenway Health, continuing their dedication to enhancing resources in support of the LGBTQIA+ community. Join Blue Cross in showing your support while enjoying a fun and accessible transportation option as you celebrate this Pride Month!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Dude, it’s Massachusetts.

So?

I mean, they boycotted Bud Light over a picture on a can that was never even sold.  They boycotted the Little Mermaid over a fictional character being black.  They boycotted Target over clothing they didn't sell. 

You think a little thing like geography is going to stop them?

• Like 2