2 2
brenthutch

Woke pandering backfires

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Considering in Michigan they are discussing making it illegal for unwed couples to live together.....

It seems it has been illegal since 1931. There is current legislation to remove the ban, which of course is being opposed by GOP:

Michigan senators spar over unenforced penalty for unmarried couples living together

4 minutes ago, jakee said:

I'm sorry what?

The Michigan Senate considered a bill to end a 90 year old law that makes it illegal for unwed different-sex people to live together (but not gay couples oddly enough.)  It is never enforced so the legislature figured they'd just take it off the books.  Everyone thought it would be a no brainer.

Over half the republicans in the senate voted to not end it - and to keep it on the books.  Their objections included:

“Federal law prevents taxpayers from claiming some dependents if their relationship violates state law.  The bill before us today would clear the way for two unmarried individuals living together to meet dependency requirements and claim those tax benefits.”

"A repeal of this law is not a promotion of the common good.  Cohabitation has been consistently shown to decrease the resilience and permanence of marriage, and to decrease the potential that marriage happens at all. ... Broken homes are incredibly damaging to the future of children.”

Fortunately, in a spate of "woke madness," the remaining republicans and all the democrats voted to repeal the law, and the bill now moves to the House.

7 hours ago, jakee said:

Are they just the party that represents a parody of conservative views now?

Ya know?

"The Onion" used to have headlines that were clearly parodies of all sorts of things.

These days, when it comes to the MAGA idiots, I keep wondering if what they are doing and saying is really an article in the Onion.

It's not, but it sure could have been, back prior to about 2015.

The backfiring continues 

“Alissa Heinerscheid, who oversaw Bud Light marketing, has taken a "leave of absence"”

I wonder what she feels about those “poor humored fratty” types now?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/04/22/bud-light-marketing-shake-up-following-dylan-mulvaney-controversy/11719274002/

On 4/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

From your link:  Conservative musicians such as Kid Rock . . .

Kid Rock is a musician; hmm, when did that happen?

Tonight John Oliver pointed out something interesting about that video of Kid Rock shooting the Bud Light: There is a second shooter to the right of the camera. There are 3 big muzzle flashes coming into frame from the right, and hitting the water to the left of the target. My guess is a shotgun.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Have the LBGTQ community start touting how great AR-15s are.
Get a bunch of videos of trans folks & drag queens shooting them.

Yep.  Pass a law that requires Dylan Mulvaney's picture on any semiauto long gun.  Then put Kid Rock/Clint Eastwood/country music stars on knives.  Within a year knive manufacturers will make billions, and school knifings will be on the rise - but they will kill one or two kids instead of 20 per incident.

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not my idea, but I think it's funny as hell.

Watch the alt right lose their minds.

;P

Yeah once a bunch of LGBTQ+ people start shooting people because they felt threatened by the seal team six crowd, I'm sure all of a sudden some of the objections to gun control would magically disappear.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Yeah once a bunch of LGBTQ+ people start shooting people because they felt threatened by the seal team six crowd, I'm sure all of a sudden some of the objections to gun control would magically disappear.

Happened in California to none other than Ron Reagan.  He was staunchly pro-gun - until the Black Panthers started carrying guns openly in LA.  There was a gun control law passed in record time, and signed by Mr. Gun himself.

1 hour ago, Slim King said:

Beer drinkers won't quit drinking beer. They will quit drinking Bud Light. Those who lose their job at Bud can get a job with the companies that aren't so suicidal.

Isn’t cancel culture GREAT?!?!?!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lippy said:

Isn’t cancel culture GREAT?!?!?!

Soon all the people who are triggered by Bud will have cancelled it from so many bars they’ll have plenty of safe spaces to go and drink in. 

And these are all things that the MAGA movement thinks are great!

On 5/5/2023 at 12:49 AM, Slim King said:

Pandering to men who pretend to be women doesn't work. It's that simple.

Nowadays we 'pander' to blacks who think they have all the same rights as whites, we 'pander' to women who think they can vote, we 'pander' to people who think they can own guns, and we 'pander' to gay people who think they can get married.  And we will 'pander' to people who decide their own gender.   Even if bigots hate all those things.

It's that simple.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Nowadays we 'pander' to blacks who think they have all the same rights as whites, we 'pander' to women who think they can vote, we 'pander' to people who think they can own guns, and we 'pander' to gay people who think they can get married.  And we will 'pander' to people who decide their own gender.   Even if bigots hate all those things.

It's that simple.

Hi Bill,

As I posted in a different thread:  In a word:  Intolerance

I just may get to use that a lot around here.

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

As I posted in a different thread:  In a word:  Intolerance

I think it's primarily loss of privilege.  What we are seeing here is backlash; same thing we saw after the Civil War, after the black civil rights movement, after women got the vote, after gays got the right to marry and after a black man was elected president.

Wikipedia has a good definition of it as applied to race:

White backlash, also known as white rage or whitelash, is related to the politics of white grievance, and is the negative response of some white people to the racial progress of other ethnic groups in rights and economic opportunities, as well as their growing cultural parity, political self-determination, or dominance.

. . It can also refer to some white Americans' particularly visceral negative reaction to the examination of their own white privilege. 

. .It is typically discussed in the United States with regard to the advancement of African Americans in American society, but it has also been discussed in the context of other countries, including the United Kingdom and, in regard to apartheid, South Africa.

We saw that after Obama was elected.  We saw that when Trump was defeated.  And now that backlash has been extended beyond race to sexual orientation and gender, as we are now seeing with attacks on trans people.

• Like 1

And when you consider that most people think that losing $10 is worse than getting $10 is good (Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky), that helps to explain why the white lash. Then again, $10 gained is, in fact, a smaller percentage gain than $10 lost is a percentage lost. Not particularly detectably, but consider interest rates.

The thing then is to convince the people who are “losing” of the inherent lack of merit that’s required to succeed in an environment with the competition constrained.  

Wendy P. 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

Not my idea, but I think it's funny as hell.

Watch the alt right lose their minds.

;P

Like this? https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/11/27/21515321/pink-pistols-salt-lake-city-lgbtq-pro-gun-2nd-amendment-trans-deaths-hate-crime-southern-poverty-law

Already happened, no one lost their minds