gowlerk

Freedom to hide child abuse

The Arizona Supreme Courts rules that child abuse reporting laws do not apply to clergy hearing confessions. Religious freedom. This ruling comes in a lawsuit against the LDS church. I'm sure the Catholic church is celebrating as well though. 

https://apnews.com/article/mormon-church-child-sex-abuse-e02ae4470a5a53cbeb9aa146ff2762ac?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_05

21 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The Arizona Supreme Courts rules that child abuse reporting laws do not apply to clergy hearing confessions. Religious freedom. This ruling comes in a lawsuit against the LDS church. I'm sure the Catholic church is celebrating as well though. 

https://apnews.com/article/mormon-church-child-sex-abuse-e02ae4470a5a53cbeb9aa146ff2762ac?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_05

Hi Ken,

And, some people wonder why I want absolutely nothing to do with any religion.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

(edited)
15 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Jerry Baumchen

The various churches have had the influence to carve out this kind of arrangement in about half of the states. I was not aware of this until now. But that also means that in the other half they do not. Since I've been asked to talk about Canada more I checked and here if a clergy fails to report suspected child abuse they can be jailed for the offense. But in the past we have had just as many pedophile priests as other places in the world. The same kind of scandals that you are familiar with.

Edited by gowlerk

When you think back to the year that I was born, the Catholic Church still provided the bulk of the social services in Quebec: elementary schools, high schools, universities, hospitals, orphanages, soup kitchens, etc. Ergo the Catholic Church had plenty of political and economic power. Just like "you cannot sue city hall" it was almost impossible to sue the Catholic Church in Quebec.

Granted, the Jews had their own hospital in Montreal and Protestants also had their own separate school boards.

As tax revenues increased, the Quebec Provincial Gov't eventually took over most of those social services from the churches.

47 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

When you think back to the year that I was born, the Catholic Church still provided the bulk of the social services in Quebec: elementary schools, high schools, universities, hospitals, orphanages, soup kitchens, etc. Ergo the Catholic Church had plenty of political and economic power. Just like "you cannot sue city hall" it was almost impossible to sue the Catholic Church in Quebec.

Granted, the Jews had their own hospital in Montreal and Protestants also had their own separate school boards.

As tax revenues increased, the Quebec Provincial Gov't eventually took over most of those social services from the churches.

Hi Rob,

Re:  Just like "you cannot sue city hall" it was almost impossible to sue the Catholic Church in Quebec.

Here, in the USA, they have found bankruptcy to get out of their responsibilities to their victims.

Rotten bastards,

Jerry Baumchen

17 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Jerry Baumchen

If they were deserving of this waiver, the clergy would be insisting that part of the penance before the offender could get absolution would be to report their wrongs to authorities (even perhaps through legal counsel) and stand subject to the consequences.  Saying a certain number of prayers should never be sufficient. 

• Like 4

(edited)
1 hour ago, TriGirl said:

Saying a certain number of prayers should never be sufficient. 

It's OK. As long as you say you're sorry to God, then you are forgiven. <snarky sarcasm>

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

It's OK. As long as you say you're sorry to God, then you are forgiven. <snarky sarcasm>

And I can see where a believer might feel that way. Unfortunately as I'm sure you understand that will do nothing to help the victim and little or nothing to prevent a recurrence. 

And in Oklahoma, republicans fought a child protection bill that protects special needs kids.

So in Oklahoma, it is legal to beat students with disabilities.  "You keep slurring your words Joey and I'll give you a fat lip!  Won't make it any worse right?"

Again, this is not satire.  This is the GOP today.

https://www.newsweek.com/oklahoma-republicans-vote-let-teahers-hit-kids-disabilities-1787784

13 hours ago, billvon said:

And in Oklahoma, republicans fought a child protection bill that protects special needs kids.

So in Oklahoma, it is legal to beat students with disabilities.  "You keep slurring your words Joey and I'll give you a fat lip!  Won't make it any worse right?"

Again, this is not satire.  This is the GOP today.

https://www.newsweek.com/oklahoma-republicans-vote-let-teahers-hit-kids-disabilities-1787784

Hi Bill,

They would hit my kid only once.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1