1 1
ripcord4

One-Shot Capewell

51 minutes ago, ripcord4 said:

I am looking for a nice example of the old "One Shot" Capewell release as found on the early Crossbow piggyback rigs. I have all the other styles - I just need the One Shot.

Any ideas on locating one will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

Larry

D2238

Hi Larry,

You might find one or two.  But, I would not count on it.  

They were used from '64 ( when the XBO came out ) to about '67 by Security.  By '67 ( I think ), Security switched to the Capewell 1 1/2 shots, as we called them.

Good luck with your search,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  From the original Parachute Manual:

1-shot.jpg.a0251cd43ee6bbffc8c4ca37e74e7a9a.jpg

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Rob,

Only speculation; but, IMO because the 1 1/2 shots became available & the OneShots were costly to make.

Jerry Baumchen

This is an old memory from the 1970's when we were all trained on 1 & 1/2 shots...  I seem to vaguely recall one of the old hands back then saying that it was intended as a safety measure to guard against an immediate riser release in case a cover was inadvertently flipped open. But don't quote me on that...

30 minutes ago, Andy9o8 said:

This is an old memory from the 1970's when we were all trained on 1 & 1/2 shots...  I seem to vaguely recall one of the old hands back then saying that it was intended as a safety measure to guard against an immediate riser release in case a cover was inadvertently flipped open. But don't quote me on that...

Hi Andy,

There was the 'talk' about that; however, I never knew of it actually happening, like a lot of rumors back then.

I'll stay with my premise that it was a cost advantage.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Check your messages.

MIL SPEC 2 shot Capewells were invented during the 1950s to allow pilots to release their parachute canopies after landing ... to prevent being dragged to their deaths.

The Military Specification Capewell 2-shots on my student gear were almost rusted solid. Totally useless when you wanted to get rid of a miss-behaving main.

MIL SPEC 1 1/2 shots were an improvement.

My impression was that Security tried to improve on the 1 1/2 shot Capewells by making them 1 shot. ... by attaching the cable to the sheet metal cover.

How close is my guess to reality??????????????

(edited)
58 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

MIL SPEC 2 shot Capewells were invented during the 1950s to allow pilots to release their parachute canopies after landing ... to prevent being dragged to their deaths.

The Military Specification Capewell 2-shots on my student gear were almost rusted solid. Totally useless when you wanted to get rid of a miss-behaving main.

MIL SPEC 1 1/2 shots were an improvement.

My impression was that Security tried to improve on the 1 1/2 shot Capewells by making them 1 shot. ... by attaching the cable to the sheet metal cover.

How close is my guess to reality??????????????

Hi Rob,

Good; except that you have them in reverse order.

Capewell did not develop the 1 1/2 shots until well after the XBO came on the market.  Prior to that a cutaway was a no-no. 

But, with Security's piggyback XBO, it was sort of necessary.

In the mid-60's, a guy in BC was killed because he did not believe in cutaways.  He jumped a XBO piggyback & just pulled the reserve when faced with a malfunction.  

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Concur about the uselessness of the two-shot Capewells. Even when working properly they were difficult to disengage on the ground - let alone in freefall for a cutaway. Fat chance, that!

I have never heard of a One Shot actually disengaging in the air - I suppose it would be possible but there were stories that it had happened. I never heard any specifics, though.