FlyGirlla

Lasik or PRK?

Ok I've just had my procedure done on the 5th of March. Epi-Lasik, therefore no flap. 4 days later, I'm now zooming-in Chrome at 300% as compared to 500% originally. Other than the inconvenience of the shades, it's truly amazing to walk around without glasses, and without the dry eyes that come with contact lens wear.

I've read many of the earlier comments, and I'd like to share my motivations on why I decided to carry through with this procedure.

With regards to the use of contact lenses as an alternative, I agree that they provide adequately corrected vision. However, unless you're prepared to pay top dollar, they're unlikely to come with astigmatism correction; and trying to spot the landing direction arrow from a mile away becomes a real challenge. I've also had contact lenses fly away in the tunnel, and I certainly don't want to risk that during freefall, or else depth perception is gonna be affected under canopy. Or worse, both contacts fly out and I won't be able to see anything under canopy at all... Lastly, I've also suffered from GPC a few times due to prolonged contact lens wear, and each time that happened, I had to stay away from contacts for a month or two - which would also mean no jumping during that period.

Now, some of you may think of the above as just minor inconveniences. However, I like to travel, and in fact, I'm about to embark on an extended travel trip. I cannot guarantee that I will always have access to clean running water and soap so that I can insert and remove my contacts; and furthermore if I lost my glasses, or if they broke by accident, I might be effectively blind for a week or more (I can't read the big E either..). So in this case, quality of life does make a difference; plus I won't have to carry a few months worth of extra lenses and cleaning solution. Also having no flap is good here, so I won't have to scurry for emergency surgery if it might dislodge.

However, DrDom mentioned one point which I'd like to debate. By and large I truly do believe that doctors act in the best interests of their patients. However, I wonder if that statement only holds true to the limits of their abilities and their equipment? And if this might even be more prevalent in such a case whereby the surgery could be considered more cosmetic than medically-necessary?

Lastly, just a heads up here. "YMMV" is absolutely true. We all know / have heard from others, that the procedure is supposed to be completely painless. And it indeed was, for the guy that did the surgery right after mine too. The removal of my epithelial cell layer however, was searingly painful for both eyes, despite the anesthetic eyedrops (I'd call it a 7/10 here). And because I'm allergic to the painkiller eyedrops, I struggled to get through the first two days with the help of A LOT of sleeping pills... But as of the morning on the 7th, :)

Best of luck to FlyGirlla for your surgery!!