1 1
jakee

Clarence Thomas

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Coffee snob mode engaged.

I can't do $15 plastic coffee makers. I'm anti- plastic as much as possible, more so if it needs to be heated.

My current favorite coffee maker is our Cuisinart burr grind and brew. Whole beans, erry damn morning.

Fresh ground has so much more flavor than pre-ground that's been sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long. I haven't had Folgers since the 70's. Far too similar to McDonald's coffee. blerf

Life is way to short to drink crap anything. If having standards makes me a snob, so it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

So who here drinks Kopi luwak?

Once upon a time I went to a release party for a beer made with Kopi Luwak coffee.  They were doing specific flights so you could compare that beer to other coffee/barrel aged beers.  I tried the Kopi Luwak beer; didn't like it much.  But there were some other good beers in that flight.

So I got a second flight and gave the Kopi Luwak to someone else there.  A bartender saw it and got mad.

"You can't give that to anyone else!  Only we can serve beer!"
"OK" I said.
"And you must be made of money if you can just give beer away like that!"

I really wanted to say "lady, there are people lined up here to buy beer made with cat poop; they're not poor."  But I thought better of it.

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It's okay to have standards. It only becomes annoying snobbery if you brag about it. 

It’s only called snobbery when you can’t afford it or simply choose not to pay, otherwise it’s called the good life. Some people bust it hard, save like crazy, and then spend it on what others might consider frivolities or even snobberies. Others don’t think it’s worth the extra effort, consider the pleasures expensive and wasteful, and take a different view. So it goes.

6 hours ago, normiss said:

After trying some Godoy's coffee years ago, I LOOOOOVE Guatemalan coffee. I tend to buy on-line, not always direct from the farms there though, due to price. 

No Bonnie situation here. I'm almost the "I buy the gourmet expensive stuff cuase when I drink it, I wanna taste it." But on a budget. I have Harley parts I NEEEEEEED.

Him Mark,

See BIGUN's post in Bonfire.

Jerry Baumchen

10 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

BIGUN's post in Bonfire.

Afternoon, Jerry -

That kinda gave me the idea for for the post. Thought it would be a good new thread for some enjoyment if others share their funny relationship stories also.  I'll add more as time goes on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, normiss said:

Then why do farm fresh eggs have chicken poop on them? :D 

Hi Mark,

OK, that reminds me of a sort-of jump story; and this is only a portion of the total story.  Which would take me a couple of days to type up.

It was either the '71 or '72 USPA National Championships in Oklahoma.  Ted Mayfield was driving a big Ford station wagon.  In it was 5 jumpers & 2 wuffos.  They were on their way back to Oregon.  They stopped for gas in the middle of the nite somewhere in New Mexico.  Getting gas at the same time was Bill Driver, a jumper also on his way home from the Nationals to Denver.  Bill takes off & Ted tries to keep up with him.  Pretty soon, Ted sees Bill's taillites all over the road & Bill ends up in the ditch.  Ted & company stop and Bill is a mess; the windshield is out, the car is a wreck & Bill has blood all over his face.  Bill has hit a horse that was in the road.  Ted says, 'Give me beer.'  He shakes up the beer, opens it & washed Bill's face off.  Ted had been in Special Forces in the early ''60's & learned to do that to look for serious injuries.  Another car stopped & they told them to go call an ambulance.  After they got Bill into the ambulance, Ted said they would takes Bill's gear & suitcase to his mother in Denver.  Then they notice that Bill has a cooler full of beer in his car; so they grab it & head on down the road.  After a bit, Ted, who is driving, says, 'Give me one of those beers.'  They hand one up to him, he takes a swig & says, 'This tastes like shit.'  Another guy, who had one, says the same thing.  So they get a flashlight out to see what is wrong.  When Bill hit the horse, it shit & all of it ended up in the cooler with the beer.

True story   ;P

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 4

Anyway the relevant thing is that Clarence is probably the only person here who does drink kopi luwak for the sun deck of Harlan’s yacht, while claiming he prefers Nescafé original with powdered milk, heated on a brazier at the homeless encampment by the underpass.

• Like 3

I realize this thread has gone all sorts of sideways, and I've happily contributed to that misdirection.

I'm quite enjoying us having a lighthearted and fun discussion. Thanks for the smiles. :) 

Meanwhile Clarence Thomas is ruining the respect and trust of the SC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, normiss said:

... Meanwhile Clarence Thomas is ruining the respect and trust of the SC.

Ah the good old days back in the 80's when the USSC was for the people. Rather than the Christian right, the billionaires,reproductive freedoms, the gun lobby, the.....

Further reading on how lobbying, opaque cash, and good old fashioned selling out judicial integrity....oh you'll just have to read it. and more reading 

Its really all about how liberals in America go played as fools and how conservatives won the courts. The checkmate in a democracy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Ah the good old days back in the 80's when the USSC was for the people. Rather than the Christian right, the billionaires,reproductive freedoms, the gun lobby, the.....

Further reading on how lobbying, opaque cash, and good old fashioned selling out judicial integrity....oh you'll just have to read it. and more reading 

Its really all about how liberals in America go played as fools and how conservatives won the courts. The checkmate in a democracy.

The thing is that some of the conservatives see America as being that place of their childhood, where Mom stayed home, Dad could afford a house on his factory salary, Sonny had a good chance at a job at the same factory because Dad worked there, and Sissy would meet someone at church who would take care of her. Life had fewer choices, and if you were lucky (which many conservatives were as children -- often stronger families because of rural 50's and 60's), the ones that were available were at least reasonable from their point of view.

So the Supreme Court making sure that things don't change too much is a good thing.

There are plenty of people out there who don't want a plethora of choices.

The fact that the world has changed, and that particularly mass communications (from TV to internet and Amazon) means it can never go back there, because everyone is aware of all the choices now, is irrelevant to them.

That doesn't make it right, it just means that understanding some motivations means better communications.

Wendy P.

51 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Yet it took a LOT of underhanded moves for the minority conservatives to get their appointees. It seems the majority rule and votes in America are now in the Third World category. It makes a lot of people question the value of their votes. Which I think is the long term goal of the conservatives any way. They can't win honestly. The majority of Americans have repeatedly voted against them. I'm hopeful the next generation is as pissed as they seem to be and vote as such.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The thing is that some of the conservatives see America as being that place of their childhood, where Mom stayed home, Dad could afford a house on his factory salary, Sonny had a good chance at a job at the same factory because Dad worked there, and Sissy would meet someone at church who would take care of her. Life had fewer choices, and if you were lucky (which many conservatives were as children -- often stronger families because of rural 50's and 60's), the ones that were available were at least reasonable from their point of view.

So the Supreme Court making sure that things don't change too much is a good thing.

There are plenty of people out there who don't want a plethora of choices.

The fact that the world has changed, and that particularly mass communications (from TV to internet and Amazon) means it can never go back there, because everyone is aware of all the choices now, is irrelevant to them.

That doesn't make it right, it just means that understanding some motivations means better communications.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

In June of 1963, as I stood looking at the Berlin Wall, I knew it would come down one day.  I knew that the wall could not stop radio waves; i.e., mass communication.

I just never thought that it would come down in my lifetime.

As the USSR & it's satellites found out, the world is changing; constantly.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Apparently public confidence in the Supreme Court is at an historic low (40%) since the Thomas disclosures.

What can be done?  Here are some ideas (WaPo).  What do you think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/02/supreme-court-clarence-thomas-roberts-ethics/

The lies that recent SC justices committed with regards to confirmation hearings and abortion. The blatant partisanship of recent appointees are all components.

Republicans are to blame and they are the winners in the USSC wars. Dems are to blame for stupidity in not recognizing that the USSC is a battleground.

Lets go back a year to Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson’s Senate confirmation hearings. Bring on Ted Cruz:

"the second day of Supreme Court nominee Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson’s Senate confirmation hearings, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, asked the esteemed jurist whether she believed that “babies are racist.”..."There were the nonexistent racist babies, along with fantastical babies that had been deemed racists, presumably by woke mobs. They were joined by nonexistent children harmed by sex offenders — whom Jackson had, according to Republican questioning, fought to set free. (She had not.) Then there was an appearance by the imagined specters of cis girls harmed by the presence of trans girls on their sports teams, summoned on the first day of hearings by Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn."

Abortion, guns, woke, public safety, etc. are all now in the hands of a christian right wing USSC. Democrats can pull their hair out, cry and moan. Nothing is going to change until the makeup of the court changes because the "justices" are not subject to review and they damn well know it.

(edited)

More evidence SCOTUS is for sale:

“If you were good friends, what were you doing ruling on his case?” said Charles Geyh, an Indiana University law professor and leading expert on recusals. “And if you weren’t good friends, what were you doing accepting this?” referring to the flight on the private jet.

https://www.propublica.org/article/samuel-alito-luxury-fishing-trip-paul-singer-scotus-supreme-court

Edited by SkyDekker