1 1
jakee

Clarence Thomas

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And here is the next one. Looks like SCOTUS has been for sale and Clarence isn't the only one. I wouldn't be surprised if more is going to come out. Have a feeling the Republicans aren't going to be very interested in "draining the swamp" and the Democrats as usual can't get their shit together with Feinstein refusing to resign.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/25/neil-gorsuch-colorado-property-sale-00093579

Interesting that Gorsuch (IIRC) joined the majority on aa couple of anti Trump rulings very early on in his tenure. Maybe just his signal that he wasn’t going to be a far right puppet for free.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:40 PM, kallend said:

ChatGPT is not that smart.  It doesn't know how to find the antipode of a location and still gets it wrong even after I told it how to do it.

It also is easy to catch out with the old "is it correct to say 'seven nines is fifty six', or 'seven nines are fifty six'".

Today it gave me this:

he antipode of a location is the point on the Earth's surface that is directly opposite to it. The antipode of Vancouver, BC, which is located at approximately 49.2827° N latitude and 123.1207° W longitude, is in the Southern Hemisphere, at approximately 49.2827° S latitude and 56.8793° E longitude.

The antipode of Vancouver is located in the Indian Ocean, southwest of the Kerguelen Islands, which are part of the French Southern and Antarctic Lands. It is worth noting that the point on the Earth's surface that is opposite to Vancouver is mostly covered by water, so there is no land directly opposite to it.

No idea if it is correct, but if it is, it would appear to be learning along the way.

And back to Mr. Thomas. The following is chart outlining the political donations by the Crow family over time:

Graph shows Crow Family political contributions by election cycle shooting up after 2010 Citizens United decision

Makes you wonder who provided the deciding vote in the 2010 Citizens United case which was 5-4.....

Interesting to note that Thomas, in his concurring opinion, wrote that he didn't agree with the disclosure provisions and would have preferred total anonymity for contributors......

SCOTUS has been for sale for quite some time.

• Like 1

The right wing talking point is that Sotomayor is just as bad because she took money from Penguin. They clearly aren't bright enough to understand the difference between a legitimate business relationship that was oficially declared, and whatever it is that Harlan Crow is doing to Thomas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Don't dismiss the pain of shingles and its power to make a person cranky and obstinate.

So very Canadian of you. She’s also old, infirm, without her wits, and on her way to going out as a stubborn pain in the ass just like Ginsburg.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeWeber said:

So very Canadian of you. She’s also old, infirm, without her wits, and on her way to going out as a stubborn pain in the ass just like Ginsburg.

When someone has dementia, and won't resign, it is time for impeachment.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

How very American of you not to see what is between the written lines. Understatement can be hard for bombastic people to see sometimes.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I hope not. My wife says a case of shingles was the only thing she had ever seen in her nursing career that caused a patient to beg her to kill him. It can be very nasty. 

Fortunately they got them there vaccines now, if you believe in that sort of thing that is.

Just now, billvon said:

Fortunately they got them there vaccines now, if you believe in that sort of thing that is.

Yes, and Shingrex is over 90% effective in preventing shingles. But even so elderly feeble US Senators can still be vulnerable.

Just now, headoverheels said:

I don't have JW's high standards in rum, but my Costco sadly carries none worth having.

The world's entire supply of Crown Royal is distilled 2 miles from our DZ. We use the steam coming from the still as a wind indicator sometimes. It is not the world's finest tipple, but it goes down well if you like that sort of drink and it is the official whiskey of Skydive Manitoba. I make it a point not to drink and drive or drink and post. Usually.

51 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The world's entire supply of Crown Royal is distilled 2 miles from our DZ. We use the steam coming from the still as a wind indicator sometimes. It is not the world's finest tipple, but it goes down well if you like that sort of drink and it is the official whiskey of Skydive Manitoba. ...

tsk,tsk,tsk. Obviously whiskey is not your forte.

"Crown Royal, the whisky-maker from the small Manitoba community of Gimli, has won a world title and been labeled a "masterpiece."

Its Northern Harvest Rye has been named the 2016 World Whisky of the Year, marking the first time a Canadian whisky has received the honour."
spacer.png

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

tsk,tsk,tsk. Obviously whiskey is not your forte.

We are well aware of the awards won by special editions and selected casks from Gimli. I like many whiskeys but I always remember that none of them actually taste good. They are all poison and they all taste like poison. Some of the better ones merely taste less bad. I find both whiskey snobs and wine snobs to be annoying in a somewhat amusing way.

Edited by gowlerk