Zachanonymous

Beginner A license ?'s

I was doing some research online about attaining an A level license. Currently I have only attempted a tandem jump.

Doing reading on USPA.org I found an AFF prof card, an A license(2 pages) , and a A license (4 pages). Questions pertaining to that would be which would cover the license I want to get. From reading on my local drop zone, it seems that there are 8 catagories one of those containing 2 separate jumps it seems. So with that in mind I'm not sure which card I should be looking at. That or I was wondering if it varies from locality to locality.

What comes after the "category" training jumps(25 total)?

A special thanks to those who might be able to answer the couple questions I laid out.

more or less I'm trying to plan out exactly how much funds I need to save up, and or what else might be involved in getting to the exit point with an A level license!

Thanks again, you all Rock!

Your student progression, if you decide to do AFF in the US, will more or less be the same no matter where you go. Talking big picture here, you will do approximately 7 jumps with an instructor where you will learn and practice basic freefall survival skills. After that you will spend 3-10 jumps with a lower level instructor where you will practice skills that you need in order to be safe jumping in groups. Also, you will make two jumps at low altitude in order to get comfortable getting out of an airplane lower and opening your parachute right away (simulating an emergency with the airplane).

After you have completed all of those syllabus jumps; and accumulated 25 jumps total; and learned how to pack a parachute; and made at least one jump with a parachute that you have packed yourself, you will be eligible for your A-license and from there you can do whatever you want

The administrative side of it (which card you will use, categories, etc.) doesn't matter too much, varies slightly from dropzone to dropzone, will get you to the same place in the end, and should be pretty transparent to you as a student. Just make sure you are actually getting things signed off after every jump and every jump you make as a student is written down in your log book by your instructor.
SCR 15081, SCS 8334, TDS 893

Zachanonymous

Currently I have only attempted a tandem jump.

Interesting wording here.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Since nobody has mentioned cost yet, I'll put in my two cents. A license progression can have varying costs depending on the jumper. If a jumper fails an early AFF jump they will have to repeat, and thus pay for the jump again. Also make sure you don't take off for a month, or you will have to do a repeat jump to get current.

Not trying to burst anyones bubble, but trying to give a more realistic perspective on cost. Most dropzones will give the cost of getting through AFF or A-license with the minimum amount of jumps. Some will warn you about repeats, some will not.

Best advice I ever got about skydiving is, chuck budgets out the door, and be prepared to spend any and all the extra money one might have.:S

It's sad because I don't make a whole lot, but I think after that first jump I really fell in love with the feeling after landing.

I also feel terrible, due to the fact that the DZ that I made my tandem with, has prices that are a little steeper than the few others I checked out.

The licensing req's and prices I've seen are variable, especially prices when they lump catagory jumps per jump. From what I've read here, it seems that I'll need to save at least 2000 to fufill all requirements for said license.

Don't feel ashamed to shop around for a DZ, you should visit multiple and see which fits you best! Maybe you're interested in certain things like CReW that not every DZ has a solid community.

On another note, I heard 3k is the closer figure.

edit: Yes, it's expensive, but for certain things you only get one chance in life. Sometimes past opportunity is that, past opportunity.

I haven't been to Skydive PA in several years, and I am not familiar with the new Management, I am sure they are great. But, did you check out Skydive Rick's in OH. I have been to dozens of DZs throughout my skydiving career and I personally don't think you could find a better place to learn to skydive. Great owners, great instructors, nice Cessnas, and good facilities. Their pricing is excellent. I don't go to many DZs any more, We usually just jump out of our own airplanes, but when I am in the Youngstown area, I always try to sneak out to Rick's for a couple of jumps.