WintersKnight

How do I make the most out of my first jump?

At the end of the month, I'll be making my first tandem jump for my 34th birthday. It was a spontaneous decision. Maybe I'm going through some early midlife crisis. Anyway, I'm an anxious guy and this is way out of my comfort zone--I'm pretty terrified, but that's all part of the package. Do you guys have any suggestions on making your first jump awesome?

I should be dropping out of the plane between 5-6 Chicago time. I want to make the most out of this jump; a zen-like, truly in the moment experience. I've already had three weeks to think about my jump, so I've been reading a lot of articles on the sport and watching a lot of tandem and AFP videos.

The more I read and watch, the more respect I have for the sport. If I enjoy skydiving, I'm fully prepared to join an AFP program to get my A license. My only goal for my first tandem is to enjoy myself, maintain body position during free fall, pay attention to the altimeter, and to open the parachute myself.

If this might be a good outlet for me, I'll go ahead and schedule my second tandem, with the intent of obtaining my A license. The DZ offers a program in which you can obtain your A license within a week. It looks like an intense course. Which comes to my second question: What are the pros and cons of getting your A-license within a week, vs. spreading out the classes over a longer period of time, maybe a couple months?

Eight more days until I make that first jump and I'm getting excited. Thanks for the advice.

"Anyway, I'm an anxious guy and this is way out of my comfort zone--I'm pretty terrified, but that's all part of the package. Do you guys have any suggestions on making your first jump awesome?"

Hi,

I suggest you focus on calming yourself, & forcing yourself to remember that you're there cuz it's beautiful & fun. The Terror will take care of itself :P. Lots of Guys try to psych themselves up to jump. A flawed approach, IMO. Zen beats it, hands down.

Know that the equipment is extremely safe & proven. Commercial Tandems have been around since the early Eighties. That your Instructor probably has thousands of jumps under his/her belt, & will take good care of you. That if you wear dark pants, urine probably won't show on your vid :P.

Skydive chicago? It's a great DZ. Relax, & enjoy the ride :)
P.S.: Though I'm still very new to the sport myself. I'm firmly in the "Don't rush it in a week Camp" for getting your license. You might be able to pull it off in 7-10 Days, but you won't get nearly as much out of it. Student jumps are very stressful. IMHO, you'll get more out of them, & retain more knowledge, if you spread them out over 2-3 months.

Yes, I'm going to be jumping at Skydive Chicago. I trust in the safety of the sport, as the statistics speak for themselves. I'm jumping to challenge myself, however that ends up looking. At the end of the day, I'll probably be just fine.

Sorry for posting to this forum before my first tandem. I'm just excited--is all. The more I videos I watch, the more fascinating it seems. I think I might might really enjoy this sport.

Also, thanks for your view on A License in a week. I'm sure the program works great for some students. If I end up deciding to give this sport a chance, I want to get the most out of my training. Something I can explore after my first jump.

At the very least, registering for this jump got me back to the gym.

WintersKnight

Yes, I'm going to be jumping at Skydive Chicago. I trust in the safety of the sport, as the statistics speak for themselves. I'm jumping to challenge myself, however that ends up looking. At the end of the day, I'll probably be just fine.

Sorry for posting to this forum before my first tandem. I'm just excited--is all. The more I videos I watch, the more fascinating it seems. I think I might might really enjoy this sport.

Also, thanks for your view on A License in a week. I'm sure the program works great for some students. If I end up deciding to give this sport a chance, I want to get the most out of my training. Something I can explore after my first jump.

At the very least, registering for this jump got me back to the gym.

Many will say it is as much about the journey as the getting there. Everyone has their own ideal pace and even that changes as you progress.

Get the video so you can relive the jump. Odds are your memory of the jump will be less than perfect.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Relax.

You're overthinking it. Your instructors will tell you what to do, just make sure you have a smile on. :)
and that's going to be true advice for your A progression as well - relaxation is the key to smooth skydiving.

cazzercam

while in the plane, about halfway up, let out the nastiest, dirty silent fart you can, the type that could gag a rat.

relaxes you, and the whole plane.

Oranges and baloney sandwiches the day before as well as a pound of cashews over the period of a day... always made for some extra special flatus with extra notes in the aroma:ph34r: go for gagging the maggots feeding on the rat :)

But serious.. relax... breathe.... check out the scenery.... breathe and listen to your instructors.

I trust in the safety of the sport, as the statistics speak for themselves.

I'm jumping to challenge myself, however that ends up looking.

If ya trust in the safety of the sport...where's the challenge? :S:P

I don't know how far you live from Ottawa, but it would be worth heading over and hanging out for a day before you actually jump...especially given your enthusiasm and interest.

Take a drive tomorrow ~ Grab a sammich at the restaurant there & head over to the spectator area...look, listen & learn.

It'll make for a more comfortable environment when it's your turn next week...AND ~ you'll have a head start in buying all the Skygods a chilly beverage after the sun goes down!

;)B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I'm jumping to challenge myself, however that ends up looking.

If ya trust in the safety of the sport...where's the challenge? :S:P

I don't know how far you live from Ottawa, but it would be worth heading over and hanging out for a day before you actually jump...especially given your enthusiasm and interest.

Take a drive tomorrow ~ Grab a sammich at the restaurant there & head over to the spectator area...look, listen & learn.

It'll make for a more comfortable environment when it's your turn next week...AND ~ you'll have a head start in buying all the Skygods a chilly beverage after the sun goes down!

;)B|

That starts getting to be a VERY late day in this part of the northern world as we head towards 21 June and Summer Solstice.

Hey, it's great that you're trying and you want to get the most of the experience :)
To enjoy the experience, I would say embrace everything. Embrace the fear as a normal part of the sport; one day you could be looking back at it and laughing. Embrace the drop out of the plane, the wind against the face, the view, just focus on being in the moment.

Embrace the sense of peace under canopy, the ride down which will be unlike any other. The ground rush, the smooth landing, the feeling of exhilaration when you arrive on the ground. Hug your TI ;) let him know you had a great time. Don't just rush off, stare back at the sky, think about it; reminiscence.

And get photo and video.

About getting certified, I would say A license in a week can be extremely intense.

Sometimes after I jump I just want to sit down, relax, reflect. I could jump again if I forced myself to but it wouldn't be as pleasant. I would suggest spreading it out if you can. Currency is the biggest issue if you spread out your jumps, if you spread it out over a few months it could be an issue, depending on how spread out it is (bear in mind weather plays a part too).

After your first jump, ask yourself, could you go back up immediately? Would you want to go back up? Would you enjoy yourself? For me, I would rather spread it out, it's more fun that way.

If you do back to back jumps, make sure you get enough sleep at night, not too much alcohol, snack regularly as adrenalin burns blood sugar.

Welcome to the sport! Have fun and enjoy yourself :)
Blues!

go for gagging the maggots feeding on the rat [Angelic]

I did that ONCE :D. OMFG. I was SO embarrassed :$. I thought the paint was gonna come off the interior :P...

To the OP: That big current of air w/the door open will NOT remove any untoward vapors. Gas in the GI tract expands w/altitude. Might wanna watch your diet for a couple of days, prior. Oh, & make sure you do eat enough that morning. The sudden increase in Adrenaline can make you nauseous, otherwise. You don't wanna puke on your TI. They don't like that :P.

dthames

Get the video so you can relive the jump. Odds are your memory of the jump will be less than perfect.

IMO, an important benefit of getting video is that there will be someone else flying near you during freefall. It gives you something to focus on (rather than just staring into that big void of air in front of you) and gives you a better perspective about what freefall is all about.

IMO, I'd rate that benefit above the "relive the jump" one, as it will make the jump much more interesting.

WintersKnight

At the end of the month, I'll be making my first tandem jump for my 34th birthday....Do you guys have any suggestions on making your first jump awesome?

If I enjoy skydiving, I'm fully prepared to join an AFP program to get my A license.

First, you need to relax and not over think this. You're going tandem not high altitude solo military style. All you have to do is lean back, relax, let your instructor handle the flying. You're there for the ride so you'll enjoy it.

Secondly, are you afraid? Well you should be. You're doing an unnatural activity a human body was not designed to do, you're leaving your comfort zone, etc. But the good news is that your fear can be controlled by just relaxing and enjoying the moment.

lastly, are you sure you are prepared to join AFP program if you like it? i don't care how many people say "oh, you can save money here", "you can buy a cheap rig there", are you really prepared to spend copious amount of money and time (in that particular order too)? are you prepared to tell your once friends "see ya, i'm going skydiving, you wouldn't understand"? are you prepared to sacrifice relationships, jobs, etc? are you prepared to go out with your whuffo friends and tell them about an awesome skydive you did but they don't care cuz they are wuffos? are you prepared to spend 99% of your time on the ground and 1% in actual freefall? But most importantly are you prepared to embark on a journey of self discovery, meet new and interesting people, and join a truely special and unique community?

only you can answer these. be true to yourself and answers ad you will find fulfillment.

WintersKnight

Not to be a downer, but don't trust too much in the safety of the sport. It is many times more dangerous than the drive to the airport and anybody who tells you differently is lying to you. It is not a death wish to jump but it does come with real risks. I jump because the benefits I get are worth the risk to me. Everybody has to make that choice for themselves, though.

Also, thanks for your view on A License in a week. I'm sure the program works great for some students.

Yup, for some students I'm sure the license in a week program is great. The frequency of jumping and instruction will usually make the learning curve a bit easier. That sort of program was not a realistic alternative for me for life circumstances, but I don't think it would have worked well for me, as I believe I benefited from time to absorb and process in between jumps.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I drove out to the DZ this morning, and made my jump--instead of waiting for the weekend. It was amazing. I can't even explain it. I was the only jumper, so I flew in a very small aircraft, barely enough room for the three of us. I'm already scheduled for my second tandem. I have a feeling it's going to be a wild summer.

I don't think I'll do an A license in a week. But I want to try jumping regularly--about once a week. I'm not going to cut corners on safety and training. Now that I'm home and on the ground, I'll be looking up at the sky.

I'm usually an anxious person. But I feel so relaxed after this jump, so I think I might give this a try. Totally awesome.

WintersKnight

I drove out to the DZ this morning, and made my jump--instead of waiting for the weekend. It was amazing. I can't even explain it. I was the only jumper, so I flew in a very small aircraft, barely enough room for the three of us. I'm already scheduled for my second tandem. I have a feeling it's going to be a wild summer.

I don't think I'll do an A license in a week. But I want to try jumping regularly--about once a week. I'm not going to cut corners on safety and training. Now that I'm home and on the ground, I'll be looking up at the sky.

I'm usually an anxious person. But I feel so relaxed after this jump, so I think I might give this a try. Totally awesome.

B|

Welcome to the Jungle!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Make sure you are wide awake, and spend every second paying attention to everything that is happening. Be aware of who you are with, who is around you, watch others and know you will be as experienced as they are one day. When you fill out your log book, don't be in a hurry. Think about every things that happened. Write it clear, and don't leave out anything. It may seem small to you now, but later you will be glad you notarized everything that happened. Best of luck to you. You first is only your FIRST. All the rest are repeats, with a few twists thrown in for excitement. Its a great sport, and stay safe.
Bill Cole D-41 aka chuteless #2 and #3.HALO jumper. ( You see, there is a wide variety of things you can do to make the sport even greater.

You will now find yourself looking at the sky more and more often. I'll give you an example, I was mowing the lawn this past Saturday morning and when I shut off the mower to empty the catcher, a small plane passed overhead (I live in a very small town in Eastern Washington that has a small small small airport), I realized I had stopped in my tracks, looking to the sky and wondering for a second if anyone was going to come flying out the door. Just for a second my heartbeat rose. I laughed to myself.
As for the period of time you take to get your license...........do it at your own speed. I just got my license last August. I have only 49 jumps as of now. I got my own gear 3 jumps ago. The most jumps I have ever done in a day is 3 (I'm 55 and not quite as in as good of shape as most of the young bucks at the DZ). BUT, I enjoy each and every one of those jumps. I actually like to jump by myself more than with 2 or 3 other people. It's just me, I reflect a lot in freefall. I'm still trying to figure out why birds sing!!!!!!!!!!!! Do what you are comfortable with and do it at a speed you are comfortable with. Don't let anyone push you at "their" rate, you will lose the real reason "you" want to jump.
It is the most wonderful experiance in a lifetime................sometimes 3 times in a day:)