archonx

Skydiving in SA!

Hello world! :D

After years, of boring studies, of having to work to save enough money, finally seeing the a light to be able to achieve my dream :D which of course.. much sane people around me won't understand.. Jumping off a plane !

I am 24, from Mauritius, did 3 fun tandems so far, 1 here itself in Mauritius, and 2 in Europe. But my aim is to ultimately being able to get into the sport. Unfortunately, the local dropzone here, don't have any courses available, yet. But great guys though! Fun and welcoming ! One of TI is from SA if am not mistaken...

So my best bet would be Reunion island, but happens my GF is in cape town(studying). So am planning my trip there to work towards an A-License. She didn't like the fact that am planning my trip just because of that and not primarily for her ... though !

Questions ! Could anyone recommend me a good DZ around Cape Town? I've spotted a few online and on the dropzone finder, but I trust its better when people share their experiences!!

My aim basically, is to stay in Cape Town for 2-3months and jump/learn everyday if possible!!! (yes I worked hard enough to afford jumping everyday if need be!! lol!!)

On a different note, I have also considered the NZskydiving school, for its impressive 200jumps/8months program. I am not really looking for a career into skydiving, but more the sport aspect of it, but id also love to be able to learn maximum things I can!! The school seems to offer loads of knowledge which I think would take lots of time to get in a more conventional way..

Your thoughts people! :D

The wait to get into a course at skydive Cape Town can be quite long. On the other hand skydive Robertson operates weekends only. Neither is ideal but it should not be a problem if you plan ahead and are staying a few months.

Contact both clubs and see how we can fit in with your plans. Cape Town often refer inquiries to us (Robertson) but not always. Once you've completed the progression, wherever it is, Robertson is more geared to fun jumps and ISPs, etc.

SA is much cheaper than Aus or NZ for getting your A licence ;)

I have not jumped in CT but mnay of our drop zones in SA only have cessnas so you will be getting 10k only for your aff jumps
If you are wanting to jump from a turbine aircraft you will need to go jump at one of the dropzones near johannesburg. This is more of a concideration after getting your licence though. A turbine will allow you to get more jumps done in a day

Are you planning to do AFF or static line training?

Thanks for the insights, I think I will alternate between Johannesburg and CT. Am planning AFF!

As I've said, basically i'll be in SA for 2-3months, so i'll try to alternate between Johannesburg and CT for the jumps, the only reason i'll be in CT is because of the GF, and some serious climbing! hah ;)

If you want to do AFF in Jhb then we can help you at Skydive Rustenburg see www.skydiverustenburg.co.za for details or if on Facebook join group SkyDiversity . Remember in SA you cant jump around from 1 DZ to another till you have your A Licence with 25 freefalls

Cheers Graham CI Skydive Rustenburg
---------------------------------
www.skydiverustenburg.co.za
www.skydiveqatar.com

archonx

Thanks for the insights, I think I will alternate between Johannesburg and CT. Am planning AFF!

As I've said, basically i'll be in SA for 2-3months, so i'll try to alternate between Johannesburg and CT for the jumps, the only reason i'll be in CT is because of the GF, and some serious climbing! hah ;)

Hey man! Better to get in contact with the DZs in CPT and Johannesburg.. I'm not so sure about the regulations in South Africa, but in some countries you can't do your AFF jumps in different DZs!

Check that you go to a DZ that is well fenced. Lions can be very dangerous.

And avoid the swoop ponds. Plenty o crocs. :S

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I don't know anything about the regulations in SA, or if the license is recognized anywhere else. But I did make my very first jump, a tandem there in Capetown. Excellent folks. Very welcoming and the view is FANTASTIC!! At least make a jump there while visiting your girl. And hike table mountain. Blue skies!
Some rules can be bent. Some can be broken. But you cant break all the rules all the time.