sky-pimp

Rig not jumped in 15 months

So this is probably easily answered .

I have not jumped in 15 month + and my rig has sat packed in all this time, i looks like i may not jump this year either . Obviously my reserve is out and i know i need a new AAD battery.

Do i just leave it sat there or is there anything i should do or be doing to maintain my rig in its dormant time.
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

if it's in a dry climate-controlled place you can just leave it packed

ZP gets pretty sticky when you leave it in a dbag for a loooong time... basically it turns into a brick if you let it sit long enough... you can safely peel it apart though

if you have the space, pull it out and repack it once in a while or just let it air out and shove it in a big plastic bin
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

if it's in a dry climate-controlled place you can just leave it packed

ZP gets pretty sticky when you leave it in a dbag for a loooong time... basically it turns into a brick if you let it sit long enough... you can safely peel it apart though

if you have the space, pull it out and repack it once in a while or just let it air out and shove it in a big plastic bin

One time I asked a friend who had not been jumping if I could borrow her canopy. It was the same kind as the one I use. She had not jumped in 2.5 years and shipped it to me still packed in the d-bag. I undid the stows and pulled the d-bag off, and the canopy stayed as tight as it was packed! Held it up head-high and dropped it to the floor. THUNK. STILL held its form as if the d-bag was still on! :o I spent an hour pulling it apart one fold at a time. Left it open for a couple days then repacked and jumped it, no problems. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

' Krip 'Is that an offer and would a PD sabre 2 become obsolete!!

Ye i think ill get it repacked every now and then that makes sense, I also heard that i should pull the reserve and leave it un packed to release the pressure on the spring and pull my pilot chute out of the spandex pouch.. Any comments on this anyone ?
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

It's a trade-off.

If it's packed, it's well protected in the rig.

If it's unpacked, it's a bit easier on it, but you risk damage.

Personally, I'd leave it packed.
As long as it's kept in a cool &dry place, the main shouldn't get too stuck. The reserve won't at all. I opened up a reserve that had been packed for several years. When I pulled the freebag off, it held the shape very nicely. It was like a brick.
I grabbed the lines and gave it 3 or 4 good shakes, and it came apart fine.
It probably would have opened just fine.

If you decide to take the canopies out, get a bin (rubbermaid makes perfect ones, but there are others) to keep it in.

Pulling the p/c to save the spandex is a good idea.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

sky-pimp

I also heard that i should pull the reserve and leave it un packed to release the pressure on the spring...

Seems I've heard that springs don't lose their springiness simpy by staying compressed. It's compressing and releasing the spring hundreds of times, i.e. cycling them, that causes that loss of springiness. So it shouldn't hurt the pilot chute spring to remain packed.

packing for no reason at all will cause more wear/damage than just leaving it alone. you might want to sell the AAD now and get another when you resume jumping, since the AAD has a limited lifetime whether you use it or not.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Rubber bands - on your main deployment bag - might rot out after a couple of years, so definitely repack your main before jumping it.
The worst environment for rubber bands is the Southern California desert. That hot, dry atmosphere can rot out MIL SPEC rubber bands in as little as two years. This is inside pilot emergency parachutes that were stored inside hangars.