1 1
brenthutch

EV sales collapse

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

With that type of reasoning the Honda Civic is an abject failure as well.

Hi Sky,

Back in the 80's, along I-5, just north of Albany, Oregon, there was a large billboard for a car dealer in Albany.  In very large letters, it said:  BUICK 

Then just below that, in much smaller letters it said:  HONDA

A few years later, in very large letters, it said:  HONDA  

Then just below that, in much smaller letters it said:  BUICK

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  IMO one can evolve or become extinct.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Wow!  To think that Tesla sold twice as many non-truck vehicles as Ford did for their consumer trucks in 2022!  No wonder the big three are scrambling to build EV plants.

Hi Bill,

Ford has announced, some time ago, that they are committed to EV's for the future.

A week or so ago, on the news, it said that Ford had spent $3 billion so far, and would spend another $3 billion to fully convert.

Looks like they are putting their money where their mouth is.

Jerry Baumchen

9 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Ford has announced, some time ago, that they are committed to EV's for the future.

A week or so ago, on the news, it said that Ford had spent $3 billion so far, and would spend another $3 billion to fully convert.

Yeah.  Ford is also the only major manufacturer still losing money on their EV's.  All the others have gotten past that hump.  Thus the investment.

(edited)
3 hours ago, billvon said:

In fact, Tesla is MORE popular than Ford's pickup truck line from sales numbers alone.  In fact they are TWICE as popular.

In terms of demand we can look at waiting times:

Gas F-series waiting time: 0 months
Tesla Model Y: 1-3 months
Lucid Air: 2-3 months
Electric F-series: 1 year

No question that the demand for EV's is much, much greater than gas vehicles.

By that standard F-350 Superduity are in even higher demand with wait times in excess of four months.

https://fordauthority.com/topic/2022-ford-super-duty-wait-times/

Edited by brenthutch

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Not a failure, just not in demand as much as the big pickup trucks (like EVs).  

Pity you can not see how that point is as specious as your AR-15 arguments. Most folks need a giant truck like they need a sharp stick in the ear. Yes, many head off for a job site daily, but far too many head of for shopping and grade school kid deliveries, too. And, please, please, do remind us that it's an individual right to feel safer doing daily errands in a gas guzzling giant hog of a truck that puts sensible folks at risk in a crash and not get that irony either.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Most folks need a giant truck like

It's much simpler for me. Why spend ~80k on truck when a 20 year old one for 10k will do the same fookin thing. Point A to Point B and haul some shit. 

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Pity you can not see how that point is as specious as your AR-15 arguments. Most folks need a giant truck like they need a sharp stick in the ear. Yes, many head off for a job site daily, but far too many head of for shopping and grade school kid deliveries, too. And, please, please, do remind us that it's an individual right to feel safer doing daily errands in a gas guzzling giant hog of a truck that puts sensible folks at risk in a crash and not get that irony either.

Hi Joe,

Re:  folks need a giant truck *

3-4 yrs ago, I was coming out of my doctor's offices when up pulls a hi-lifted truck.  This guy, ~ 35-40 yrs old, was dropping his mother off.  Well. he dropped her off alright; she took a header getting out of his truck.  Then the ambulance hauled her off to the ER.

Jerry Baumchen

* I prefer to call them pecker-stretchers.

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

It's much simpler for me. Why spend ~80k on truck when a 20 year old one for 10k will do the same fookin thing. Point A to Point B and haul some shit. 

And even simpler for me.  I need a truck about four times a year, so I rent one from U-Haul-It for the day.  Total cost per year about $100, and no insurance/registration/maintenance/parking needed.

• Like 5

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Re:  folks need a giant truck *

3-4 yrs ago, I was coming out of my doctor's offices when up pulls a hi-lifted truck.  This guy, ~ 35-40 yrs old, was dropping his mother off.  Well. he dropped her off alright; she took a header getting out of his truck.  Then the ambulance hauled her off to the ER.

Jerry Baumchen

Please tell me you had dash cam.

Just now, billvon said:

And even simpler for me.  I need a truck about four times a year, so I rent one from U-Haul-It for the day.  Total cost per year about $100, and no insurance/registration/maintenance/parking needed.

I need a light 4 wheel drive for just in case around the airport. My 15 year old F-150 with a broken windshield and knocking engine works just fine.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

A work friend of mine used to have a lifted F-250 all decked out as his toy vehicle.  His vanity plate was CMPNS8

One of the many big trucks in our oilfield services company that I park my Mini Cooper in between...The Mini's much funner to drive and much cheaper to fill.

(edited)
2 hours ago, billvon said:

I need a truck about four times a year, so I rent one from U-Haul-It for the day.  Total cost per year about $100, and no insurance/registration/maintenance/parking needed.

I get that. But when you live in the rural; everyone needs help with something at one time or another. Most times, it requires a pickup. 

Edited by BIGUN

On 3/31/2023 at 12:32 PM, billvon said:

Wow!  To think that Tesla sold twice as many non-truck vehicles as Ford did for their consumer trucks in 2022!  No wonder the big three are scrambling to build EV plants.

That is a function of reduced consumer demand for non trucks/SUVs.  Being a big fish in a disappearing pond is hardly anything to crow about.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:31 PM, BIGUN said:

I get that. But when you live in the rural; everyone needs help with something at one time or another. Most times, it requires a pickup. 

Yep.  And a lot of people don't have a U-Haul 3 miles from them.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is a function of reduced consumer demand for non trucks/SUVs.  Being a big fish in a disappearing pond is hardly anything to crow about.

Any idea how long the Big Fish Hittites were around? For a bonus, where are they now and why? Hint: it's not Jersey Shores.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Any idea how long the Big Fish Hittites were around? For a bonus, where are they now and why? Hint: it's not Jersey Shores.

1750 to 1180 BCE I think their descendants are likely in the USA "gun belt". Or Turkey.

On 4/1/2023 at 11:31 PM, BIGUN said:

I've lived rurally in a few countries now, weirdly only in the states does everyone and their dog seem to "need" a pickup. 

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

I've lived rurally in a few countries now, weirdly only in the states does everyone and their dog seem to "need" a pickup. 

That's because in America rural folks have real dogs and make the bastards ride in the back.