1 1
brenthutch

EV sales collapse

“EV sales collapse as subsidies and tax credits come to an abrupt halt”

https://www.rystadenergy.com/news/ev-sales-collapse-as-subsidies-and-tax-credits-come-to-an-abrupt-halt

Who would have thought sales would drop when government subsidies were cut?  Sorry Olof it doesn’t look like EVs will replace gas and diesel vehicles any time soon. :`(

Meanwhile back in reality:

Electric vehicle (EV) sales are accelerating faster than predicted and are now expected to reach 55 per cent of total global vehicle sales by 2030, significantly earlier than previously forecast, according to a new report by consultancy organisation EY.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/03/27/ev-sales-now-expected-to-account-for-55-of-total-global-vehicle-sales-by-2030/

Electrification of cars in the United States significantly accelerated in early 2023, according to the latest reports for the month of January.

According to the registration data from Experian (via Automotive News), out of 1.24 million new light vehicles registered in January, some 87,708, or 7.1 percent were all-electric. That's a 74 percent increase year-over-year and a noticeable change, compared to a 4.3 percent share in January 2022. The 7.1 percent share is also a step change from 5.6 percent in the 12 months of 2022.

https://insideevs.com/news/657660/us-electric-car-sales-january2023/

US EV Sales Hit New Record, And People Are Buying More Than Just Teslas

https://www.pcmag.com/news/us-ev-car-sales-hit-new-record-and-people-are-buying-more-than-just-teslas

• Like 1

(edited)
25 minutes ago, billvon said:

US EV Sales Hit New Record, And People Are Buying More Than Just Teslas

Hard to see it moving any other direction considering that ICE production lines are being phased out, models discontinued and money is pouring into EV infrastructure and production facilities. The dead enders are crying out in frustration again.

Edited by gowlerk

“Lucid to cut 1,300 workers amid signs of flagging demand for its EVs

PUBLISHED TUE, MAR 28 20234:40 PM EDTUPDATED TUE, MAR 28 2023AT 8:13 EDT
John Rosevear@JOHN__ROSEVEAR

• Lucid said in a regulatory filing that it is cutting about 18% of its workforce, or roughly 1,300 workers.
  • In a letter to employees, CEO Peter Rawlinson said the job cuts will hit “nearly every organization and level, including executives.” 
  • The company expects to take charges of $24 million to $30 million related to the cuts, most of that in the first quarter.

Struggling EV maker Lucid said in a regulatory filing on Tuesday that it plans to cut about 18% of its workforce, or roughly 1,300 employees, as part of a larger restructuring”

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

You must be thrilled

Wendy P. 

A small start up car company is running out of cash before it can become profitable. I wonder if there is a list somewhere of all the ICE car companies that have failed. In the meantime the real companies are pouring Billions and billions into battery plants and EV production lines while announcing the closing of ICE lines. I wonder where this is going?

Largest selling two car models in California are EVs.   At least 21% of households on my street have an EV.   My personal experience is limited, but friends that have them say they would never go back.   

I'm probably on my last car ever, unless maybe it is a truly self driving car, some time after I can no longer drive.   Once those are available, the economics would favor shared use rather than individual ownership.  Uber-ish without the expense of a driver.

Just now, headoverheels said:

Largest selling two car models in California are EVs.   At least 21% of households on my street have an EV.  

Yep.  Around here (a neighborhood in Sorrento Valley, which is heavy in biotech and telecom) it's closer to 50%.  The older guy who hates foreign cars and always walks his little dog when I am walking ours just got the Cadillac EV and loves it.  The 82 year old widow who lives down the street just got one, but occasionally has to ask me how to get the thing to stay connected to her wifi.  But other than that she likes it.

But despite half the houses here having an EV in their garage, we don't have any blackouts or brownouts.  Inconceivable!

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Around here (a neighborhood in Sorrento Valley, which is heavy in biotech and telecom) it's closer to 50%.  The older guy who hates foreign cars and always walks his little dog when I am walking ours just got the Cadillac EV and loves it.  The 82 year old widow who lives down the street just got one, but occasionally has to ask me how to get the thing to stay connected to her wifi.  But other than that she likes it.

But despite half the houses here having an EV in their garage, we don't have any blackouts or brownouts.  Inconceivable!

I quite liked this:

https://geoff.greer.fm/2023/02/08/gasoline-car-review/

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in the real world….

“In terms of overall numbers, though, the Detroit three’s full-size pickups still reigned supreme. The top three sellers were the Ford F-Series (653,957), the Chevrolet Silverado (520,936), and the Ram pickup family (468,344)”

8 hours ago, billvon said:

While we certainly don't have that level of EV ownership, a 90-year-old friend of mine just bought one, simply because she likes the thought of the technology. By no means a trend, but given how technophobic so many seniors are, it's refreshing (and probably part of why she's so young at 90)

Wendy P.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Meanwhile, in the real world….

“In terms of overall numbers, though, the Detroit three’s full-size pickups still reigned supreme. The top three sellers were the Ford F-Series (653,957), the Chevrolet Silverado (520,936), and the Ram pickup family (468,344)”

With that type of reasoning the Honda Civic is an abject failure as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Wow!  To think that Tesla sold twice as many non-truck vehicles as Ford did for their consumer trucks in 2022!  No wonder the big three are scrambling to build EV plants.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not a failure, just not in demand as much as the big pickup trucks (like EVs).  

Yeah, that's the message you were trying to convey when you started this thread....Your mind must be a very interesting place.

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not a failure, just not in demand as much as the big pickup trucks (like EVs).  

In fact, Tesla is MORE popular than Ford's pickup truck line from sales numbers alone.  In fact they are TWICE as popular.

In terms of demand we can look at waiting times:

Gas F-series waiting time: 0 months
Tesla Model Y: 1-3 months
Lucid Air: 2-3 months
Electric F-series: 1 year

No question that the demand for EV's is much, much greater than gas vehicles.

15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Wow, seven responses w only four personal attacks :`(

You should become a speech writer for the US right. You see enemies and personal attacks everywhere.

How long has the world conspired against you?

Anyway in the real world US incentives are being recalculated: The $7,500 tax credit to buy an electric car is about to change yet again. All to create more American jobs.

Clean air, new technology and more US jobs. Sounds reasonable, prudent.