1 1
JoeWeber

Trump indicted

41 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Rhys and Slim King will probably be a bit...agitated when they get back from their bans.

Yeah I expect in response they will make up a load of utter bollocks that makes no sense whatsoever to any sentient individual. Wait, how will we tell again?

• Like 1

Trump advisor and FOX News personality Kimberly Guilfoyle:

"It's not misdemeanors - he's looking at time behind bars.  Major trouble.  These are serious allegations.  He used this money to hide his mistress.  I think there's a very strong case against him."

(in reference to John Edwards in 2011.)

• Like 2

(edited)
15 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Correction, Trump has not been indicted, he was indicated:

"These Thugs and Radical Left Monsters have just INDICATED the 45th President of the United States of America, and the leading Republican Candidate, by far, for the 2024 Nomination for President. THIS IS AN ATTACK ON OUR COUNTRY THE LIKES OF WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE. IT IS LIKEWISE A CONTINUING ATTACK ON OUR ONCE FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS. THE USA IS NOW A THIRD WORLD NATION, A NATION IN SERIOUS DECLINE. SO SAD!"

Hi Joe,

Why, those morans.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

17 hours ago, billvon said:

On the other hand, future indictments won't have the "OMG it's the first indictment of a president EVER and we better not do it unless we're 100% sure!" factor.  The next indictment will be just another indictment, and the more that come down, the less extraordinary they will be.

That is a frightening thought.

19 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Since he is disbarred from practicing law in NY. it would have to be pro bono. Otherwise he would catch another charge for practicing law without a license.

I do believe that any person representing a defendant in court has to be a member of the bar, with a license to practice law.

I don't think being paid or not makes any difference.

I could be wrong on this, and welcome correction if so.

Note: This only applies to someone representing someone else.
Perfectly legal to represent yourself. Stupid as all hell, but legal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I do believe that any person representing a defendant in court has to be a member of the bar, with a license to practice law.

I don't think being paid or not makes any difference.

I could be wrong on this, and welcome correction if so.

Note: This only applies to someone representing someone else.
Perfectly legal to represent yourself. Stupid as all hell, but legal.

Hi Joe,

Attributed to Abe Lincoln:    “He who serves as his own counsel has a fool for a lawyer and a jackass for a client”

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I have represented myself many times in Small Claims Court.  I have yet to lose; although it was very rare to get everything that I petitioned for.

• Like 1

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Attributed to Abe Lincoln:    “He who serves as his own counsel has a fool for a lawyer and a jackass for a client”

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I have represented myself many times in Small Claims Court.  I have yet to lose; although it was very rare to get everything that I petitioned for.

Hi Jerry,

I've heard that quote in a number of different ways, but never the attribution.

And, generally, small claims isn't worth getting a lawyer for.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Hi Jerry,

I've heard that quote in a number of different ways, but never the attribution.

And, generally, small claims isn't worth getting a lawyer for.

Hi Joe,

It is not absolute; and you need to read down a ways:  A Man Who Is His Own Lawyer Has a Fool for a Client – Quote Investigator®

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Oregon currently has a $10,000 Small Claims limit.

Small Claims Court Limits: How Much You Can Sue For | Batta Fulkerson

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

And I thought FantasyLand was only a Disney thing:  'He'll be our next president'

The Mar-a-Lago rally, along with a second event held outside a nearby Trump-branded golf course, totalled no more than several dozen

'He'll be our next president': Florida protesters stay faithful to Trump - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

And I thought FantasyLand was only a Disney thing:  'He'll be our next president'

The Mar-a-Lago rally, along with a second event held outside a nearby Trump-branded golf course, totalled no more than several dozen

'He'll be our next president': Florida protesters stay faithful to Trump - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

President of the Inmates Association.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi heels,

You will note that that is:  PIA

Hmmmmm,

Jerry Baumchen

I'm reading that it's possible Trump will be slapped with a gag order. Assuming it's legal, and that seems to be the case, and as pleasant as even one hour would be without Trump bloviating wouldn't it be better to bet on him worsening his situation?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm reading that it's possible Trump will be slapped with a gag order. Assuming it's legal, and that seems to be the case, and as pleasant as even one hour would be without Trump bloviating wouldn't it be better to bet on him worsening his situation?

In some ways, yes.

However, it's possible he would incite violence.
While it would be fun to see the MAGA morons go up against a police force that wasn't intentionally short-staffed, it wouldn't really be a 'good thing'.

There's also the simple reality that I can't see Trump obeying any gag order.

There's no way he won't shoot his mouth (keyboard) off and violate it.
And face consequences for violating it.

That would be cool to see.

If a conviction for witchcraft would keep him out of office, bringing such charges is strongly recommended.

I kinda wish he decided the preferred path forward involved seppuku.  That would, however, require some sense of honor, which rules it out in his case.  He is proof positive of Mencken's observation that nobody ever went broke overestimating the vulgarity of the American buying public.

The fun is just beginning with the Trump trial!

Recently Trump announced he was replacing his lead lawyer, Joe Tacopina, with Todd Blanche, another lawyer who has previously defended Paul Manafort in similar cases.  Blanche will now be the lead lawyer representing Trump.

But apparently Trump didn't tell Tacopina.  After the announcement Tacopina was asked if he was still on the team, and he replied "Yes of course! And I will be the lead trial lawyer when the bell rings!"

I am imagining the look on his face when he realizes what happened.

7 hours ago, billvon said:

The fun is just beginning with the Trump trial!

Recently Trump announced he was replacing his lead lawyer, Joe Tacopina, with Todd Blanche, another lawyer who has previously defended Paul Manafort in similar cases.  Blanche will now be the lead lawyer representing Trump.

But apparently Trump didn't tell Tacopina.  After the announcement Tacopina was asked if he was still on the team, and he replied "Yes of course! And I will be the lead trial lawyer when the bell rings!"

I am imagining the look on his face when he realizes what happened.

And he tries to cash his rubber cheque.

Headline on BBC News: Donald Trump Under Arrest after Arriving at Court
Headline on CNN: Trump Arrested
Headline on WaPo: Trump surrenders to authorities to face charges
Headline at the NYT: Trump Surrenders to Authorities to Face Criminal Charges
Headline on Reuters: Trump arrives at New York courthouse to face criminal charges

Headline on FOX News: TENSIONS RUNNING HIGH Protesters get physical outside New York City courthouse ahead of Trump's arraignment

And the lead story is one Trump supporter who tried to destroy an anti-Trump banner - and fell down.

• Like 2

(edited)

Seems that Judge Merchan has encountered Trumpish corruption before.

Merchan sentenced the Trump Organization to pay $1.6 million after jurors convicted the company in December. The judge also sentenced Weisselberg, who long served as an executive under Trump but was the prosecution's star witness in the trial, to five months of incarceration.

On Friday, Trump, who was not charged in his company's case, lashed out at Merchan on his Truth Social platform.

"The Judge 'assigned' to my Witch Hunt Case, a 'Case' that has NEVER BEEN CHARGED BEFORE, HATES ME.  He strong armed Allen, which a judge is not allowed to do, & treated my companies, which didn't 'plead,' VICIOUSLY." 

Oh boo hoo.

Merchan did not reply to a request for comment.

The Trump Organization trial is not Merchan's only recent encounter with Trumpists. Merchan also is presiding over a criminal case involving former Trump adviser Steve Bannon on charges of money laundering, conspiracy and fraud related to a nonprofit that raised funds for building a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico.

Edited by kallend

26 minutes ago, Faicon9493 said:

There's talk of a possible gag order being imposed on Trump. I would hate to see him deprived of his right to talk himself into deeper trouble.

There will be warnings and stern warnings and very stern warnings before any gag order gets placed.