Gyone

Going to my first Boogie

I plan on going to Summerfest at Skydive Chicago. What are some insights for a newbie, I've heard the large boogies can be almost overwhelming for a new jumper(canopy traffic, etc).

Who has been to Summerfest, and what are some tips for a newbie to get the most out of it?

For the most part just not sure what to expect.

plan the dive, dive the plan... know the landing areas and all the outs, don't do big tracking dives or get in over your head om anything

never done Summerfest but I did WFFC back in the day which was crazy big by modern standards

just don't do stupid shit and you'll be fine
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Gyone

I plan on going to Summerfest at Skydive Chicago. What are some insights for a newbie, I've heard the large boogies can be almost overwhelming for a new jumper(canopy traffic, etc).

Who has been to Summerfest, and what are some tips for a newbie to get the most out of it?

Look for a small group where you can see an experienced jumper trying to help a junior jumper to learn. Then ask if you can join them. You will want to join up with someone and make friends. But if you can find someone already teaching others, you can also benefit from that teaching.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Be on good behavior. Better than you would at your home dropzone. Don't drink to much. Less than you would at your home dropzone. Less drinking = more and better jumping = more fun. Stay hydrated and eat good. Get plenty of sleep. Stay smart, stay alive.

dthames

Look for a small group where you can see an experienced jumper trying to help a junior jumper to learn. Then ask if you can join them. You will want to join up with someone and make friends. But if you can find someone already teaching others, you can also benefit from that teaching.

Just to make that even more specific (with terminology!) look for and/or ask for the organizers. A boogie like Summerfest will have a ton of them, who will be working with jumpers of all different levels. If you meet one and let them know your experience, they will connect you with the right person for that day who is organizing smaller jumps for newer jumpers. Working with organizers you will learn so much and they'll make sure you don't get in over your head.

As others have said do a search for first boogie and similar terms and you can find a lot of good stuff.

As for the canopy stuff, make sure that you get a thorough briefing. If it's not offered, ASK!!! Walk around the landing area when there's no one landing (or around the edges when there is). Get a sense of how big it is. Ask about the good outs and the bad outs. Study the aerial pictures (there are a lot of them at Skydive Chicago). Learn where not to land (there are some parts of the landing area that are restricted to jumpers with 1000+ jumps).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

SDC does a really good job with it. I covered a few things about the load organizers in your "Intro & Greets" post, here are a few more:

When you check in, there's a ~5min video that covers landing areas, outs (DON"T land at the horse farm), overall stuff. Note: It's a fake beard.

Get your tickets at the window, not in the office.

The manifest ladies are very nice, but their patience gets tested. Don't be an idiot.

Belly fliers and their organizers are in the southeast corner of the hangar. Be honest about your experience and you will be put in an appropriate group.

Be at the loading area at the 5 min call. Make sure you understand loading/exit order. It's usually communicated very well among the groups. They follow "standard" exit order.

Know the pattern and landing direction before you get on the plane. Like loading/exit order, it's usually well communicated.

FOLLOW THE LANDING DIRECTION!! They have "watchers" in the landing area. If you do something stupid, Donavan will "discuss" it with you. Doing it a second time generates a "bit different" discussion.

There are plenty of outs, and if you land out they will come get you.

The regular landing area is huge, if you aren't comfortable in heavy traffic, land further out and walk back. That's what I do.

Other stuff:
Alan is a fabulous chef, get to the Tiki Bar early if you don't want to wait forever in line.

Wear pants at the Tiki Bar. Don't get into a drinking contest with Vader. You will lose.

Bring a toga. Or something that will function as one.

Wally World is just down the road. If you find you need something, someone is usually making a run "soon" and you can tag along.

If you plan on sleeping at night, camp at the far end (north end) of the campground. If you are within a couple hundred yards of the Tiki Bar, you will not sleep.
If you plan on partying, camp close to the Tiki Bar, but beware of finding strangers passed out in your tent.

Don't "borrow" a golf cart just because it's sitting there. Ask first.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Gyone

I've been a load organizer at Summerfest since before it started as a boogie.

Don't let people scare you. The landing area at Skydive Chicago is huge. There are areas you can land where almost no one is a factor.

We have load organizers for all levels and we have a couple of them who only organize smaller groups with newer jumpers. Look me up when you get there and I will make certain you get introduced to the LOs and that you get placed with the right people. And we don't just organize you - we coach you.

It's an awesome event with almost every manufacturer in the US attending. Great parties, free camping and showers, dinner at the Tiki Hut every night and a fire works display that will leave you amazed.

You will not regret attending Summerfest.

If you need more guidance just keep asking and I'll help out.

Sandy Grillet
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

*high five*

Summerfest is gonna be my first one too. Excited and nervous to be honest. Not sure if I'm 90% excited and 10% scared, or 10% excited and 90% scared. Never been at such a big event, hell I have yet to jump at another DZ than my home DZ.

I can't wait though, long drive from Toronto but it will be worth I hear.

CReW

Be on good behavior. Better than you would at your home dropzone. Don't drink to much. Less than you would at your home dropzone. Less drinking = more and better jumping = more fun. Stay hydrated and eat good. Get plenty of sleep. Stay smart, stay alive.

Good behavior?, Less drinking?, Plenty of sleep?, not my experience with boogies. I guess skydiving has matured...

JohnMitchell

Good behavior?, Less drinking?, Plenty of sleep?, not my experience with boogies. I guess skydiving has matured...

:D Not everywhere and everyone. There's always some peeps around the bonfire at dawn at Lost Prairie, it seems. :D

But not this guy anymore.:D

Me neither. But when that guy sitting next to the smoldering bonfire at sunrise asked for a beer... major props young pup.:o
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

:D Not everywhere and everyone. There's always some peeps around the bonfire at dawn at Lost Prairie, it seems. :D

But not this guy anymore.:D

Me neither. But when that guy sitting next to the smoldering bonfire at sunrise asked for a beer... major props young pup.:o

Amateur mistake running out of beer.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

hcsvader

Spoken like a true master. Only difference is, you were in a tent at sunrise. Not yours though.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

Spoken like a true master. Only difference is, you were in a tent at sunrise. Not yours though.;)

And that's why it's smart to keep extra beers in your tent B|
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

fastphil

***Be on good behavior. Better than you would at your home dropzone. Don't drink to much. Less than you would at your home dropzone. Less drinking = more and better jumping = more fun. Stay hydrated and eat good. Get plenty of sleep. Stay smart, stay alive.

Well, for someone in their first season and at their first boogie, I think it's excellent advice.

He doesn't have enough experience to be sure to properly gear up when half asleep and three-quarters hungover.

He hasn't been around long enough to be able to deal with jumping all day and partying all night, then repeating.

It's really easy to over do it, then be tired, hungover, dehydrated, ect.
That's when good judgement goes away.
That's when stupid stuff happens.
That's when accident happen.

A couple years ago, at Summerfest, I was pushing pretty hard. All jumping, not partying.
By the 3rd day, I was exhausted and didn't realize it.

I was getting sloppy in my flying, doing worse and trying harder.
Finally, I did a full speed drive towards my slot and was going too fast to stop. The collision was not pretty. Nobody got hurt, fortunately, but I decided I should sit down for a few jumps. The load organizer was happy to hear that, and said that if I hadn't suggested it first, he was going to. He could see my performance deteriorating and was concerned.
I spent most of that afternoon napping on the sofa in the hangar.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo