Patterson

Cutaways (How did you find them)

I'm just curious. I've never had a cutaway and can see how after reaching the ground safely, that feeling of dread rolls over you...how am I going to find that $2000 piece of fabric that i just tossed?

How long did it take to find your canopy? How did you find it? Was it laying out flat or crumpled up in a ball with only the end cell exposed? What colors were in your canopy and how much did that play a part in you finding it? Was it in a hard to access spot (i.e. water tower (lol), restricted fenced off area...or something of the sort)?

Thanks guys. :)

I'm just curious. I've never had a cutaway and can see how after reaching the ground safely, that feeling of dread rolls over you...how am I going to find that $2000 piece of fabric that i just tossed?

Honestly... I've never had a feeling of dread about finding anything. I've just thought that it would be a bonus feature to collect my stuff.
Owned by Remi #?

Patterson

LOL! Okay, so far I am getting some really good data. :P

Seriously though, do you usually beat the main to the ground?

Often, but not always. And don't make looking for your cutaway main your #1 priority. Finding a good spot to land in is by far more important.
Remster

labrys

Honestly... I've never had a feeling of dread about finding anything. I've just thought that it would be a bonus feature to collect my stuff.

This.

My last cutaway in 2007 was of a black main with red ribs, over a stand of pine trees that bordered the dropzone. It went into full stealth mode.

JohnMitchell (aka the canopy whisperer) was the one who finally found it on the ground among the trees, after several of us had spent several hours tromping around looking for it. No amount of walking and scanning from the airplane helped us to find the freebag, but oh well. That's why I have a credit card.

I've also seen an awful lot of canopies and freebags fall into a clear area right on the dropzone, as if the airplane had been spotted for them. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I went up in a Cessna to scout for one after couple hundred foot reserve opening and didn't see where it went. It was actually really near by but 72 ft2 gray and blackberry was hard to see and it was last load that it happened so I didn't want to waste time after initial search came up empty. Canopy was almost brand new so I was freaking a bit even though I was getting partial manufacture support I still was paying a grand for them.

The one that I got lucky finding was a PD demo 79 velocity that bag locked. Now that is a treat to look for. Like finding your free bag in a corn field. Should have had a neon D-bag. I was really bumming on that one since it wasn't mine.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

craddock

I went up in a Cessna to scout for one after couple hundred foot reserve opening and didn't see where it went. It was actually really near by but 72 ft2 gray and blackberry was hard to see and it was last load that it happened so I didn't want to waste time after initial search came up empty. Canopy was almost brand new so I was freaking a bit even though I was getting partial manufacture support I still was paying a grand for them.

The one that I got lucky finding was a PD demo 79 velocity that bag locked. Now that is a treat to look for. Like finding your free bag in a corn field. Should have had a neon D-bag. I was really bumming on that one since it wasn't mine.

Yeah, that's why I went with a rainbow canopy. Easy to spot after a cutaway. A wingsuiter cut away last fall with an orange canopy. You never realize how much orange crap is around in October until you go looking for an orange canopy in the middle of that month.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Helmet, main, etc all landed in school bus garage parking lot. My un-named associates scaled the fence and had it all back just in time to look angelic and watch me argue with the locals about some people seen walking on top of a parked school bus...

Some canopies land on the DZ.

Some are found by our pilot from the air. My sole cutaway was like this. The canopy partially re-inflated and blew quite a ways from the DZ.

Some are chased by jumpers on that load while they are under canopy. On my cutaway a buddy tried to do this, but the partially re-inflated canopy blew away from him. On aonother jump I chased my wife's canopy a mile... and then had a challenge finding a safe LZ. I am of the opinion that the jumper under the reserve has only one priority....land safely. If there is chaseing to be done...let others do it. Catching cutaway canopies while under canopy is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea...don't do it. Chasing canopies is not for the novice, as often it results in the chaser landing in sub-optimal location (I landed in a corral after chasing my wife's canopy. If chasing, it is critical to give up the chase and LAND SAFELY at the appropriate altitude.

Some are chased by ground crew who saw where the canopy went.

A FEW are not found....for a long time. Just yesterday I heard of a canopy found in a swamp SEVEN YEARS after being lost. The folks who found it rigged it as a tertiary (third) canopy and jumped it! It opened and flew but the jumper cut it away rather than risk landing it.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I've had several cutaways. Everything from them landing on the DZ to hunting in the woods for hours on end to flying around in a Cessna to spot it.
One I had was on a brand new canopy with about 50 jumps. It was right when crossbraced canopies came on the market so I got an Icarus FX 99. I was shooting a tandem video and the spot was VERY long by the time we got out. Spinning line twists and I had to chop it. There was no outs anywhere near where my canopy was headed so I headed for the DZ with my main behind me where I couldn't keep an eye on it. Searched for days for it with no luck. Ended up buying a new canopy.
About 18 months later the DZO called me and said she had a suprise for me. When I showed up that weekend there was my canopy in perfect condition. Turns out one of the pilots was hunting with a friend and they got to talking about skydiving for some reason. The other hunter says I've got one of the parachute things hanging up in my garage that I found near one of my hunting blinds more than a year ago. The pilot told him they were expensive and that someone would surely want it back but the guy didn't want to give it back. The pilot offered him $50 and brought the canopy out to DZ. Like I said it was in perfect condition so I packed it up and jumped it. I ended up selling it soon after because the opening on that thing were horrific.