1 1
JoeWeber

Fort who?

16 hours ago, kallend said:

Choosing not to honor a historical figure is not the same as erasing history.  He will still be in the history books, along with, say, Benedict Arnold.

The fun part about this whole thing is who decided to 'honor' those people and when. 

And where the 'honoring' happened.

43 minutes ago, johnhking1 said:

I can understand some people being upset that a US Military Fort is named after a Confederate General.

Maybe they would like to donate money to pay for the cost of the name change.

Or do they want somebody else to pay.

Why wouldn’t it be paid for by the same people who paid for it to be named in the first place?

1 hour ago, johnhking1 said:

I can understand some people being upset that a US Military Fort is named after a Confederate General.

That's just about the lamest argument I have ever heard. Is that the best justification you can come up with? Are you trying out for the new "anti-woke" of the day reward?

2 hours ago, johnhking1 said:

Tax payers paid for it to be named, but shouldn't pay for it to be renamed? Weird reasoning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

That's just about the lamest argument I have ever heard. Is that the best justification you can come up with? Are you trying out for the new "anti-woke" of the day reward?

It's fucking hilarious that they defend the idea of naming US military installations (and a lot of equipment in the same time frame) after traitors responsible for the deaths of thousands of US soldiers.

But watch the tops of their heads come off if you mention Jane Fonda.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2023 at 3:49 PM, ryoder said:

Robert Smalls was a slave who escaped from the South during the Civil war by stealing a Confederate ship and turning it over to the Union.

Fascinating bit of history. Also quite ironic that Robert Smalls be came a Republican politician.

He authored state legislation providing for South Carolina to have the first free and compulsory public school system in the United States.

Wonder how much of this is getting taught in today's Republican states?

13 minutes ago, Erroll said:

Fascinating bit of history. Also quite ironic that Robert Smalls be came a Republican politician.

Not that ironic I don't think. The Republican party in those days was quite different and much closer to what the Democratic party has been since.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Yup. 

During the early 20th century, the Klan had a very firm grip on a lot of local governments. 
The same ones that picked the names for those places.

Hint: When in a small, midwest or southern town, see if you can find the "Kozy Korner Kafe" or something similar.

Take a guess what it means.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Hint: When in a small, midwest or southern town, see if you can find the "Kozy Korner Kafe" or something similar.

Take a guess what it means.

It makes for good storytelling, but it just isn’t true.

https://www.facebook.com/colcomuseum/posts/fact-or-fiction-was-the-kozy-korner-a-gathering-place-for-the-kkki-have-always-f/3792510600794179/

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

When I Google Kozy Korner Kafe I find a few entries for restaurants in the Caribbean and a couple in rural parts of the USA. The FB post says it was not a KKK meeting place or headquarters and no doubt that is true. But the name likely was a dog whistle type of advertising to let the right people know who is and is not welcome.

10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

That's one particular restaurant in Oregon.

And it's the "KKR", not the KKK.

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

When I Google Kozy Korner Kafe I find a few entries for restaurants in the Caribbean and a couple in rural parts of the USA. The FB post says it was not a KKK meeting place or headquarters and no doubt that is true. But the name likely was a dog whistle type of advertising to let the right people know who is and is not welcome.

Bingo.

The Klan was very powerful in the early half of the 20th century. Members held a LOT of local political offices. As in entire town councils.
Or County boards.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many monuments to Confederate "heroes"?

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

I still want to know what important Civil War battle happened in Indiana.
Or was is just because the Klan was so influential there in that time frame?

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That's one particular restaurant in Oregon.

And it's the "KKR", not the KKK.

Bingo.

The Klan was very powerful in the early half of the 20th century. Members held a LOT of local political offices. As in entire town councils.
Or County boards.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many monuments to Confederate "heroes"?

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

I still want to know what important Civil War battle happened in Indiana.
Or was is just because the Klan was so influential there in that time frame?

Hi Joe,

Re:  Members held a LOT of local political offices. As in entire town councils.
Or County boards.

Like this:  Right-Wing Groups Target Local Governments After January 6 - Bloomberg

Jerry Baumchen