1 1
JoeWeber

Fort who?

(edited)
14 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I read that Fort Hood was being renamed for some guy named Cavazos

General Cavazos was not only one hell of a warrior; he was also brilliant. 

EDIT: Never met him. By reputation. 

Edited by BIGUN

I give this a week or two before it becomes the distorted subject of some bullshit Facebook meme that gets shared by people who want to virtue signal their racism, as well as the conservative over 50 crowd who can't be bothered to research a single thing that they repost.

(edited)
1 hour ago, johnhking1 said:

Probably 90% of the people in the country have never heard of Fort Hood, 99% probably don't know who it was named after.

I'm not sure where it is. The only reason I know the name is from the mass murder that happened there a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, DougH said:

I give this a week or two before it becomes the distorted subject of some bullshit Facebook meme that gets shared by people who want to virtue signal their racism, as well as the conservative over 50 crowd who can't be bothered to research a single thing that they repost.

Cavazos is not an English sounding name so obviously what you say will happen. It probably already has.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, johnhking1 said:

Probably 90% of the people in the country have never heard of Fort Hood, 99% probably don't know who it was named after.

So name it after Robin Hood.  Saves a lot in new signage and everyone likes him except the evil Sheriff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

So name it after Robin Hood.  Saves a lot in new signage and everyone likes him except the evil Sheriff.

Ah yes, but Robin Hood is English and you fought to get rid of the English. Americans would never stand for naming a military base after losers.

47 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Ah yes, but Robin Hood is English and you fought to get rid of the English. Americans would never stand for naming a military base after losers.

Then why are so many named after losers?

Some Americans fully support losing and losers, to the point of insanity.

Have you seen our elections??

• Like 1

Having it read "honorably discharged" on my DD214, I believe I have a dog in the fight. I'm not a war history buff and knew nothing of that handsome bastard they Called General Hood. I also knew nothing of Richard Cavazos until a few minutes ago. Here is my take, GREAT job on whatever committee out there chose the NEW guy. He was the type of leader EVERY military leader should strive to be. Hood wasn't a "bad" leader, he just made poor decisions on the field of battle that landed hundreds of men dead. But boy, he sure did have pretty eyes. 

It's the premise of why in the first place are "we" so bent on erasing history in the name of feelings. Sorry, but IMO, it's fucking ridiculous. 

Me personally, I'm a little upset I was never stationed at FT MURPHY!  

18 minutes ago, timski said:

It's the premise of why in the first place are "we" so bent on erasing history in the name of feelings.

Why does General Hood no longer exist when he doesn't have a military base named after him?

If a General fights for the losing side and doesn't get a base named after him, does he even exist?

How would your feelings be if they had named it Fort Greta?

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Why does General Hood no longer exist when he doesn't have a military base named after him?

If a General fights for the losing side and doesn't get a base named after him, does he even exist?

How would your feelings be if they had named it Fort Greta?

Dude, I'm 53, my feels don't count. Honestly, It's got a nice ring to it. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, timski said:

Having it read "honorably discharged" on my DD214, I believe I have a dog in the fight. I'm not a war history buff and knew nothing of that handsome bastard they Called General Hood. I also knew nothing of Richard Cavazos until a few minutes ago. Here is my take, GREAT job on whatever committee out there chose the NEW guy. He was the type of leader EVERY military leader should strive to be. Hood wasn't a "bad" leader, he just made poor decisions on the field of battle that landed hundreds of men dead. But boy, he sure did have pretty eyes. 

It's the premise of why in the first place are "we" so bent on erasing history in the name of feelings. Sorry, but IMO, it's fucking ridiculous. 

Me personally, I'm a little upset I was never stationed at FT MURPHY!  

Hi Tim,

Re:  Having it read "honorably discharged" on my DD214

OK, that got me to looking.  I am 82 yrs old so things could easily have changed since I got out.

My DD214, in box 13a CHARACTER OF SERVICE says HONORABLE.

My 214 was issued to me upon completion of active duty, not upon Discharge, which occurred 2+ yrs later.

Where does yours 214 say "honorably discharged"?  This nothing more than curiosity on my part.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Tim,

Re:  Having it read "honorably discharged" on my DD214

OK, that got me to looking.  I am 82 yrs old so things could easily have changed since I got out.

My DD214, in box 13a CHARACTER OF SERVICE says HONORABLE.

My 214 was issued to me upon completion of active duty, not upon Discharge, which occurred 2+ yrs later.

Where does yours 214 say "honorably discharged"?  This nothing more than curiosity on my part.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry, you analytical SOB!!!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, timski said:

Believing that renaming a military base erases history is fucking ridiculous, because books still exist.

Q) If no new military bases are built and all the existing ones were named after civil war generals - would post civil war history exist?

A) Of course it bloody would and no one in their right mind would suggest otherwise.

Here’s the thing, naming a military base (or anything else) after someone is not a necessary part of remembering that the wars they were involved with happened. Naming things after someone is an honour, and it is absolutely right and proper that society should be able to decide who is and who is not worthy of honouring.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, timski said:

There is a lot of "History" to choose from. So people make choices. The people who go to Ft. Hood don't spend much time thinking about Hood and why his name was honoured, they just remember the name of the place they served. There is a ton of symbolism in choosing names. Hood has become a negative symbol, history is not being erased, it is being remembered by correcting an error. Almost all of the people who object to the change don't give a rat's ass about Hood, they just resist change because that's what people tend to do. You and they will get over it just like you got over the Washington Commanders thing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

There is a lot of "History" to choose from. So people make choices. The people who go to Ft. Hood don't spend much time thinking about Hood and why his name was honoured, they just remember the name of the place they served.

This, exactly. It's their history, but their history is only a piece of history, just as mine is. Just as the history of Pekin, IL High School includes a mascot named the Chinks. That history still exists, right?

History does, in fact, include Jim Crow, slavery, and institutionalized racism (think redlining). Even if it makes some people embarrassed. We choose as a society what we want to highlight, and we might choose otherwise as individuals. And what we choose changes with the times; the KKK is no longer considered to be a defender of freedom by most people

Wendy P.

Ah yes, I remember when... I personally thought for a second to honor military instillations after great first nation peoples, but then decided that would be a slap in the balls to those people, (because you know, history...), and thought that the right choice had been made. Make no mistake, I have zero vested in the subject and personally am indifferent... Boredom at work will have that effect.     

On 3/28/2023 at 5:49 PM, timski said:

Choosing not to honor a historical figure is not the same as erasing history.  He will still be in the history books, along with, say, Benedict Arnold.