skydivah1

Skydivers with children: Did they follow in your footsteps?

My son did his first tandem at 12, my daughter at 13.
Both are active wingsuitflyers now at 27 and 24.
Nothing sweeter than doing a 4-way with the kids, both smiling at me waiting for the exit count, nothing more terrifying than seeing a cut away main on the same jump and searching for the open reserve.

chuckakers

Two kids, both raised on the DZ. The wife and I opened a DZ (Skydive USA, TX) when they were teens, in part to get them in the air at 16.

Daughter Heather worked our manifest and started jumping at 16. She made a couple hundred jumps and then headed to college. Degree, husband, baby, second degree, second baby all kept her mostly out of the sport. She did get current about a year ago, but found out shortly after that she was pregnant so she's back on the sidelines with a toddler now.

Son Justin also started at 16 after several years as a packer/loader/catcher/everything else at the family operation. He went balls out. Vidiot, AFF/I, rigger, open class h/p canopy pilot. He now flies camera on Arizona Airspeed, earning his first National gold last year and hopefully his first international gold this August at the World Meet.

Raising our kids on the DZ was one of the best parenting decisions ever. Getting them in the air at the minimum legal age was an even better one.

I think my kids would agree.

I wish you were my dad! :):)

I wish i knew my real dad [:/] (true)

Okay on a related note...

My son is turning 14 this summer and wants to pack next year, so I figured I'd start teaching him this season... Easy enough, he already helps with gear checks.

My daughter is 11 and comes to the DZ with me from time to time..

But neither of them really WANT to spend time there just yet, fair enough, I mean they don't get to do a whole lot (although they love watching me land and my son consistently roots for me to fall on my butt). So.... What can I do to make it more fun for THEM, so they warm up to the environment?

BigMikeH77

So.... What can I do to make it more fun for THEM, so they warm up to the environment?

I think the main thing is to get them involved with some task. I've always said that skydiving is a participatory sport, not a spectator sport. A spectator can only see so many canopies land before they get bored.
Most of the ideas for kids have already been listed.
Teach them to pack.
'Catch' tandems.
Babysit for other DZ staff who have young kids.
Help unharness tandems when they come back in.
Learn to edit videos.

The non-jumping things they can do will vary with age, responsible-ness, interest, ability, etc.

Good luck.

BigMikeH77

My son is turning 14 this summer and wants to pack next year, so I figured I'd start teaching him this season... Easy enough, he already helps with gear checks.

My daughter is 11 and comes to the DZ with me from time to time..

But neither of them really WANT to spend time there just yet, fair enough, I mean they don't get to do a whole lot (although they love watching me land and my son consistently roots for me to fall on my butt). So.... What can I do to make it more fun for THEM, so they warm up to the environment?

Cash.

Help them get to the point where they can make money at the DZ and they will be there at every opportunity.

Don't explain the motivation, though. They will protest against it if it's your idea. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Don't have any kids yet, but my wife and her brother are both second generation skydivers. My Father in law still jumps, mother in law doesn't. She also has an Aunt that was a skydiver. My wife grew up on the DZ basically and I am sure it had an influence. She didn't start jumping till she was like 20 though. Over 2000 jumps, AFFI, Videographer. F-I-L owned a jump plane and they used to travel with it too. Her brother designs planes now apart from being a phenomenal skydiver.

It worked out great for me cause skydiving is how I met her.

The DZ doesn't feel as kid friendly as she describes it as having been, so I have no idea what will happen with our kids. Not that it was a place for kids, but people were just I dunno - more cool with it and the world was different then.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The DZ doesn't feel as kid friendly as she describes it as having been, so I have no idea what will happen with our kids. Not that it was a place for kids, but people were just I dunno - more cool with it and the world was different then.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping the smaller DZs, especially clubs, still have that kid friendly atmosphere. I remember how everybody kept an eye on the kids. Kinda like having a few dozen big brothers and sisters around you.

congrats...bet ya very proud..My daughter aged 19

has just completed her A license .after her 7th jump i decided that retirement wasn't for me(skydiving) so after 22 yrs i have started jumping again.such a different sport to the one i left .....only better.....so i am actually following in her steps not her in mine

michaelmullins

***Well, there's a gap in your poll answers, so I didn't vote.

4 Kids, 3 made tandems with me as teenagers.

One made 17 more jumps before going off to college.

Another became a tunnel instructor, then took AFF and has about 45-50 jumps now.

Another works at a wind tunnel.

And one wants nothing to do with "the cult that is your sport". Direct quote.:D:D

I win.

Yes you do, Mike!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

michaelmullins

***That is freaking awesome Mike,,, :o

Thanks!

Mike, I did quite a few jumps out of your rocketship at Rantoul back in 02,03 and I remember some of your kids. One of them was tearing it up on a velocity. His age I shall keep on the down low ;) I also remember the backflip challenge in zero-g. He was successful.

skydivah1

******That is freaking awesome Mike,,, :o

Thanks!

Mike, I did quite a few jumps out of your rocketship at Rantoul back in 02,03 and I remember some of your kids. One of them was tearing it up on a velocity. His age I shall keep on the down low ;) I also remember the backflip challenge in zero-g. He was successful.

He loves doing the zero G backflip. Mike has great kids! The ones I have met at Richmond "The Boogie" were great skydivers and good kids all around.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com