1 1
JoeWeber

Mitch McConnell away?

Rumor control has McConnell considering retirement long before his term expires in 2027. Those who have followed my reporting here know that any sketchy misunderstanding promulgated by the most impeachable of sources suit me just fine when it comes to supporting my hopes and dreams. So, as ever, I'm hopeful.

The thing is the Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, is a Democrat. Ky. Rev. Stat. § 63.200 controls. An executive committee comprised of members of the same party as the dearly departed or resigned submits three names for the Governor to choose from. Hopefully Governor Beshear, god forbid he is put in such a horrible position, is a typical Democrat who can't decide which recyclables go in the same bin and the clock just runs out. If ever there was a legitimate time for hopes and prayers now is that time.

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Hopefully Governor Beshear, god forbid he is put in such a horrible position, is a typical Democrat who can't decide which recyclables go in the same bin and the clock just runs out. If ever there was a legitimate time for hopes and prayers now is that time.

Or at least he decides he’s not running again and decides to do what he thinks is best for the country, and not just his constituency

Wendy P. 

Just now, wmw999 said:

Or at least he decides he’s not running again and decides to do what he thinks is best for the country, and not just his constituency

Wendy P. 

Of course with our Republican brethren, one can always hope in one hand and crap in the other and let others bet on which will fill first. The sad reality is that no one, even we vaunted do the right thing liberals, can be counted on to do the right thing instead of the self serving thing. The only claim we can make is that we do the wrong thing less frequently.

10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

I take it that you are defining his constituency as the lobbyists and other contributors to his personal bottom line.  Most GOP policies work against the average working class white non-college  GOP supporter.

16 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Rumor control has McConnell considering retirement long before his term expires in 2027. Those who have followed my reporting here know that any sketchy misunderstanding promulgated by the most impeachable of sources suit me just fine when it comes to supporting my hopes and dreams. So, as ever, I'm hopeful.

The thing is the Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, is a Democrat. Ky. Rev. Stat. § 63.200 controls. An executive committee comprised of members of the same party as the dearly departed or resigned submits three names for the Governor to choose from. Hopefully Governor Beshear, god forbid he is put in such a horrible position, is a typical Democrat who can't decide which recyclables go in the same bin and the clock just runs out. If ever there was a legitimate time for hopes and prayers now is that time.

Good riddance if true.  He's the hypocrite who refused Garland a hearing at all, and then rushed Barrett's hearing though in almost record time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kallend said:

Good riddance if true.  He's the hypocrite who refused Garland a hearing at all, and then rushed Barrett's hearing though in almost record time.

Agreed. The appropriate way for McConnell to leave the Senate would be a vote of expulsion by his peers, (Article 1 - Section 5), for refusing to do his constitutionally-mandated job.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 6:34 PM, JoeWeber said:

Maybe he should retire right now, since he's just had another "freeze" episode:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/30/mcconnell-freeze-speaking/

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Maybe he should retire right now, since he's just had another "freeze" episode:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/30/mcconnell-freeze-speaking/

Hi John,

While I think he should retire because of this, he will not give up the power.  IMO he will hang in there until the very end.

Jerry Baumchen

You know what they say about a stopped clock:

Greene calls McConnell unfit for office after 2nd freeze-up

But she does not see the irony here:

Severe aging health issues and/or mental health incompetence in our nation’s leaders MUST be addressed,” Greene wrote on Wednesday on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

11 hours ago, ryoder said:

You know what they say about a stopped clock:

Greene calls McConnell unfit for office after 2nd freeze-up

But she does not see the irony here:

Severe aging health issues and/or mental health incompetence in our nation’s leaders MUST be addressed,” Greene wrote on Wednesday on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

if they were my only choices I'd take a geriatric over crazy MTG any day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kallend said:

if they were my only choices I'd take a geriatric over crazy MTG any day.

Hi John,

As would I.  However, it looks like some of his cohorts are getting a little nervous:   the Senate GOP also holds private lunches . . . , giving members another forum for hashing out the direction of the party’s leadership

GOP senators weigh 'special' meeting on their leadership after McConnell's freeze - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

As would I.  However, it looks like some of his cohorts are getting a little nervous:   the Senate GOP also holds private lunches . . . , giving members another forum for hashing out the direction of the party’s leadership

GOP senators weigh 'special' meeting on their leadership after McConnell's freeze - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

Senate minority leader, with a fair chance of becoming majority leader after the next election is a prize many in these private lunches are eying. The knives will come out soon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Senate minority leader, with a fair chance of becoming majority leader after the next election is a prize many in these private lunches are eying. The knives will come out soon.

Hi Ken,

Pres. Harry Truman once said, 'If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.'

How true.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

(edited)

The man is clearly quite ill. Someone compassionate to him really needs to pursuade him to step down.
My FIL is in a very similar situation. It's sad.

(Edited to add - similar situation in that he keeps having TIA's, not that he's in the republican party leadership. Glad we cleared that up)

Edited by Stumpy

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Hi Ken,

Looks like the first knife has come out:  Thune ready to 'support the team' amid questions on McConnell's health | SDPB

I expect more to follow.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Looks like the first knife has come out:  Thune ready to 'support the team' amid questions on McConnell's health | SDPB

I expect more to follow.

Jerry Baumchen

I took that as more of a look away from the problem, we have this, sort of statement. But then I don't trust those motherfuckers any further than I can pick one up and toss the bastard.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful wife"
And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 12.09.02.png

Hi Robert, 

With my Post #21, I am thinking he is far worse off then the GOP is telling us.

Otherwise, they would cover it up; the GOP is so good at that:  Watergate scandal - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  IMO the Dems are not much better; think Feinstein.

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1