JoeWeber

Liberals, stand firm

1 hour ago, johnhking1 said:

He should have told them to piss off and if they tried to fire him, sue their asses.

It was a her, not a him. It is a private "christian" school. One that makes this claim.....

, the school aims to “train the minds and improve the hearts of young people through a content-rich classical education in the liberal arts and sciences, with instruction in the principles of moral character and civic virtue”.

I guess they don't really understand what that means.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9575995/florida-principal-michelangelo-david-tallahassee-classical-school/

(edited)
2 hours ago, kallend said:

Meanwhile the Florida House passes a "permitless carry" bill, secure in the knowledge that the kids are safe from renaissance sculptors and drag queens.

I wonder how these people would react to Titian's painting of Venus?

Hi John,

And these kids are being scarred for life:

220px-Uffizi_Venus_of_Urbino_August_2022.jpg

Venus of Urbino - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  And, this film would REALLY ruin them:  Ecstasy (film) - Wikipedia

Edited by JerryBaumchen

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

It was a her, not a him. It is a private "christian" school. One that makes this claim.....

, the school aims to “train the minds and improve the hearts of young people through a content-rich classical education in the liberal arts and sciences, with instruction in the principles of moral character and civic virtue”.

I guess they don't really understand what that means.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9575995/florida-principal-michelangelo-david-tallahassee-classical-school/

Hi Ken,

And, people sometimes wonder why I fervently oppose public money for "christian" schools.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Re:  train the minds

They damn sure want to do that.

3 hours ago, johnhking1 said:

He should have told them to piss off and if they tried to fire him, sue their asses.

Not _quite_ what was happening.

This particular school district had shown exactly the same images several times in past years.  However, there is a (dumb) Florida law that requires parents be told what their kids are being shown.  This principal did not do that, and that's why she was fired.  Previous principals did.

It's still a dumb law, but she was fired for not informing parents - not for allowing images of David to be shown.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, kallend said:

Meanwhile the Florida House passes a "permitless carry" bill, secure in the knowledge that the kids are safe from renaissance sculptors and drag queens.

I wonder how these people would react to Titian's painting of Venus?

Hi John,

And, fortunately, some people are enlightened:  Italians, flabbergasted at controversy, invite Floridians to visit Michelangelo’s David - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

On 3/25/2023 at 4:50 PM, billvon said:

This principal did not do that, and that's why she was fired.  Previous principals did.

It's still a dumb law, but she was fired for not informing parents - not for allowing images of David to be shown.

Course, the parents probably didn't review the curriculum or syllabus, but that's prolly the Principal's fault also. 

On 3/25/2023 at 4:50 PM, billvon said:

...However, there is a (dumb) Florida law that requires parents be told what their kids are being shown.  This principal did not do that, and that's why she was fired.  Previous principals did.

According to at least one article I've seen, she had previously failed to follow policies on other things. 

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Course, the parents probably didn't review the curriculum or syllabus, but that's prolly the Principal's fault also. 

No, it's the responsibility of the school to inform the parents. 
What they do with that information is not the schools 'fault'.

It's super easy to point fingers and say how stupid this is and that she shouldn't have been fired.

But the totality of the circumstances seem to show that it wasn't as outrageous as some want to believe.

31 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, but it is outrageous enough.

Yes

5 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

And, fortunately, some people are enlightened:  Italians, flabbergasted at controversy, invite Floridians to visit Michelangelo’s David - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

Most westerners are flabbergasted by this. Its as odd a US gun laws.

11 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Most westerners are flabbergasted by this. Its as odd a US gun laws.

South Park got it right in the movie.

I can't remember or find the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of "violence is fine, nudity and naughty words are really bad"

Which is a pretty accurate summation of US 'morals'.

The funniest part is that when the movie came out, the 'moral outrage' was all directed at the language and the sex. One of the things that was brought up the most was the 'Saddam Hussein & Satan in bed with a dildo' scene.
The parts where thousands of soldiers were shown quite clearly being blown into little pieces were not a problem.

(edited)
On 3/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, JoeWeber said:

We survived 9/11, The Challenger, Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, 2008, Skysurfers, and too many other national stress tests; we'll survive whatever chaos the Maga Maniacs, our 2nd Amendment mental inmates, and our unrestorable deplorables cause when Trumps indictments start rolling in. Civil unrest is not civil war. Me, I'm looking forward to watching as each and every cocked hat, cockamamy militia moron who thinks his perfectly, and stupidly, accessorized AR-15 is good for anything more than killing innocent bystanders, learns the hard way that they are just jerks with ridiculous penis extensions and not part of a well regulated militia when the National Guard disarms them and puts their stupid asses face first on the ground.

Just because bad things will happen, store windows might be broken, and nice dogs will be kicked, does not mean we should continue giving in to our fears. That is to say bring it on. Like unruly kids what they all need is a good and thoroughly embarrassing ass whooping. The bottom line, my Liberal compatriots, is that now is an especially auspicious time to restrain our delicate sensibilities. Let the National healing begin.

This Liberal, and very progressive, message of hope is brought to you from the People's Republic of Joe.

Hi Joe,

I could not come up with a better response:  many of them Americans on spring break or studying abroad, posed for selfies in front of the giant marble statue

Florida uproar over David leads to rush on selfies with famed statue - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

On 3/20/2023 at 9:35 PM, JoeWeber said:

Just because bad things will happen, store windows might be broken, and nice dogs will be kicked, does not mean we should continue giving in to our fears. That is to say bring it on.

And the Kyle Rittenhouses of the world will be there to make sure things don’t get out of hand.

3 hours ago, jakee said:

Joking about racist murderers really brings out your best side.

Three things…

1 There is ZERO evidence that Rittenhouse is a racist (other than you don’t like him)

2 He was found NOT GUILTY, so there goes the murder thing

3 While Democrat cites may burn in Joe’s fantasy, ANIFA and BLM thugs will find tougher going in the suburbs and rural areas. Those are simply the facts, no joke.

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Three things…

1 There is ZERO evidence that Rittenhouse is a racist (other than you don’t like him)

You mean other than the events?

25 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

2 He was found NOT GUILTY, so there goes the murder thing

So was OJ, but he’s obviously a murderer just like Rittenhouse is.

Its really odd that you think the shooting of several people is a nice controlled, in-hand situation, by the way.

• Like 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, jakee said:

You mean other than the events?

So was OJ, but he’s obviously a murderer just like Rittenhouse is.

Its really odd that you think the shooting of several people is a nice controlled, in-hand situation, by the way.

I only recall white assailants being shot, correct me if I’m wrong.

Rittenhouse admitted the shootings (unlike OJ) and the shooting was adjudicated and found to be justified. 

This may upset you but facts don’t care about your feelings and neither do I.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I only recall white assailants being shot, correct me if I’m wrong.

Rittenhouse admitted the shootings (unlike OJ) and the shooting was adjudicated and found to be justified. 

You may find this hard to believe, but many people have trouble with the concept that you can actively seek out trouble and then be absolved from getting into trouble.

Specially since the crowd that is loudly cheering about this has a pretty decent overlap with the "she asked for it with that short skirt" crowd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

The Jury’s opinion is still just an opinion. That’s a large part of why appeals are a thing, maybe you’ve heard of them? It may suit your feelings to pretend that a Jury retrospectively creates the facts of the case but it’s obviously not true.

Again though, I’m really interested to know why a riot that involves people being shot to death is more ‘in hand’ than one that doesn’t?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You may find this hard to believe, but many people have trouble with the concept that you can actively seek out trouble and then be absolved from getting into trouble.

Who was absolved? At least two of the trouble seekers got their just desserts. FAFO

Edited by brenthutch

1 minute ago, jakee said:

The Jury’s opinion is still just an opinion. That’s a large part of why appeals are a thing, maybe you’ve heard of them? It may suit your feelings to pretend that a Jury retrospectively creates the facts of the case but it’s obviously not true.

Again though, I’m really interested to know why a riot that involves people being shot to death is more ‘in hand’ than one that doesn’t?

True but the foundations of US gun rights and adoration likely have a bigger component.Just as the laws precluding actions against gun manufacturers.

Given the current makeup of the USSC. Juries, prayers, tears etc. are all irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Two different threads now where you appear giddish over people getting shot and killed.

Not at all, had there been no riot one guy would be alive one guy would have two good arms and Rittenhouse would just be an EMT serving the good folks of Kenosha instead of a potential millionaire.  However, the malcontents had different ideas and decided to play stupid games and win stupid prizes.