McDirt

What are your thoughts on Pilatus Porter aircraft?

That's assuming the PAC750 is approved for flight with the door oper/removed.

I thought that might be a safe assumption to make since they are being marketed and delivered from the factory with a jump door in place:)

Skydive Wayne County in Richmond Indiana has one and as a student I have jumped from it many times. With larger loads it can be alittle snug but with close friends it's not bad and the ride to altitude is fairly quick. the ride is any where between 15 to 20 min. to 13,500.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

What i liked about the Porter just off student status :S was there are only 9/10 jumpers in the plane, 2 two way's, a 3 way & 2 solos, as a student jumper the least amount of canopys in the air with you is a good thing, less to think about B|.

BTW done all of my consols out of a Grand caravan, but it was a hugh LZ, UK DZ.

I thought that might be a safe assumption to make since they are being marketed and delivered from the factory with a jump door in place:)

And there are a few that have two of these doors - one on each side.
Funny: Nearly all Pilatur Porter do still have a drapdoor!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

my DZ had a Porter this past season full-time. let me tell you 8 was AWFUL -- 7 jumpers would be ideal i'd say. i liked the wide door, OR you could use BOTH doors.

i think the lift-to-fuel cost wasn't too shabby either. that is a guess though....

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

but can someone do me up a picture like in paint of something of a seating arrengment.

The attached is based on talking to someone I know who jumps one in the Netherlands and
what piisfish said.

Eule

That's almost exactly the way we seat everyone at our dz. Except we have two next to the pilot and one in the back.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

my DZ had a Porter this past season full-time. let me tell you 8 was AWFUL -- 7 jumpers would be ideal i'd say. i liked the wide door, OR you could use BOTH doors.

I'm guessing that was with all floor seating? IMO its easier to fit 10 in a Porter with side benches than 8 in one with floor seating.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I,m going right past the PAC factory on wednsday. Last time I went that way the door to the hanger was open and there were about a dozen of them i various stages of assembly.
Some reaally strange paint jobs on some off them as well
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

The pilot can open and close the door from his/her seat, similar to a Cresco
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Great 'little' plane, we have one here. there is a dornier also for the bigger way stuff. we jump from the porter every day we can, same seating config as the nice pic earlier, full load of 10, usually one or two tandems involved, i never got cramp because it is always well load organised and climbs pretty fast. Great for students and AFF considerations too. Door open? One on the wheel, another on the strut, 2 on the camera step aft, 3 in and 3 out ........lets' party!!

(im in spain, a smallish country 'over the water' that has DZ's and other great places to visit.)

>let me tell you 8 was AWFUL

We had one for a while and put 10 in it. I did one tandem out of it when we were putting 10 in, and then refused to do any more. Other instructors soon followed, and we finally got the DZO to reduce the max load to 8.

we use it in the military for small and alpine landing zones. we can put 8 jumpers without problems in it. needs a very short landing and starting strip. perfect for fast and uncomplicated jumps. also jumped the oldest still flying porter on a french dropzone in morocco: tuned by icarius-planes this baby brought 9 jumpers to 4200m in less than 9minutes!! fantastic!

There are also two in the UK and another 2 in Europe.

in germany, I know of 4 dz, using porters:
neustadt/glewe
ampfing
schweighofen
leutkirch

I liked the porter because of the STOL possibilities and the very slow exit speeds.
space inside was never a question when sitting in the right way.
the door is huge...
and the step is great.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

The Farm has a Porter, a Caravan and a Grand Caravan. For many of us, The Porter is our Favorite. Gigantic Door, Climbs fast, Jungle Gym outside the door, Slow exit speeds . I love the Porter.

Another advantage of the porter is that is can get in and out of a Short Landing Strip. At the Farm, If we are running the Caravan or Grand Caravan we have to shuttle to the Airport as they cant take off with a full load on the short strip. If we are flying the porter, We can.