1 1
ryoder

Video of Russian fighter "not" colliding with drone

I have been reading a lot of articles lately with the basic premise that we are ill prepared for a war with China or Russia after twenty years of spending lives and treasure on failed nation building and the war on terror in the middle east.

I hope that never gets tested, but I also hope we get our shit together because it could possibly be my two young kids who will have to fight these battles.

Just now, DougH said:

I have been reading a lot of articles lately with the basic premise that we are ill prepared for a war with China or Russia after twenty years of spending lives and treasure on failed nation building and the war on terror in the middle east.

I hope that never gets tested, but I also hope we get our shit together because it could possibly be my two young kids who will have to fight these battles.

Sure, but just knowing that all of the war hawks who weren't satisfied containing Saddam with what was a working no fly zone, after arming him to fight Iran, were made happy by our reckless invasion is reward enough. Better yet, when we are forced to lay down our guns and ideals because we only know how to "fight them over there", not in Topeka, we'll all be dead. So, not a problem.

40 minutes ago, DougH said:

I think the current conflict shows that we are still for more than well prepared for war with Russia. Their equipment and tactics are so terrible as to be almost self defeating. The one thing I see being flagged up is our supposedly low stock and slow production line of ammunition leading to issues with running out of shells at the rate they’re being used in Ukraine. But the thing with that is that we haven’t given Ukraine any longer range, high precision weaponry. Everything they’re doing is with artillery fires and as good as those are it leads to a heck of a lot of wasted shots, and a limited number of targets in reach. The full array of western cruise missiles and air power would have devastated Russia’s ability to pursue this conflict a long time ago.

China is a different story as their kit is getting very good indeed. Their manufacturing capability is huge and high quality, and they’re getting very good at stealing the knowledge they need in order to catch up - see the F35 and the J31. But where and on what terms is that war going to be fought? Are we talking a sea based war to protect Taiwan? The US Navy is still the King Kong of the oceans isn’t it?

20 minutes ago, jakee said:

I think the current conflict shows that we are still for more than well prepared for war with Russia. Their equipment and tactics are so terrible as to be almost self defeating. The one thing I see being flagged up is our supposedly low stock and slow production line of ammunition leading to issues with running out of shells at the rate they’re being used in Ukraine. But the thing with that is that we haven’t given Ukraine any longer range, high precision weaponry. Everything they’re doing is with artillery fires and as good as those are it leads to a heck of a lot of wasted shots, and a limited number of targets in reach. The full array of western cruise missiles and air power would have devastated Russia’s ability to pursue this conflict a long time ago.

China is a different story as their kit is getting very good indeed. Their manufacturing capability is huge and high quality, and they’re getting very good at stealing the knowledge they need in order to catch up - see the F35 and the J31. But where and on what terms is that war going to be fought? Are we talking a sea based war to protect Taiwan? The US Navy is still the King Kong of the oceans isn’t it?

China is rapidly improving their naval forces. Somewhat terrifyingly impressive for that matter.

PLAN expansion

Chinese Naval expansion

Having worked in tech and DoD since the 80's, their tech on their fleet sure looks familiar and quite similar to US Navy tech.

Having attended a number of classes with Chinese nationalists, I have long wondered what relationship we have beyond their tech theft, and WHY???? I think we have to bring tech manufacturing back on-shore. We're practically handing it to them.

1 hour ago, normiss said:

China is rapidly improving their naval forces. Somewhat terrifyingly impressive for that matter.

PLAN expansion

Chinese Naval expansion

Having worked in tech and DoD since the 80's, their tech on their fleet sure looks familiar and quite similar to US Navy tech.

Having attended a number of classes with Chinese nationalists, I have long wondered what relationship we have beyond their tech theft, and WHY???? I think we have to bring tech manufacturing back on-shore. We're practically handing it to them.

Hand it to them. Let the Chi-com government steal commercial and military secrets. Paid for by US research commercially and from US defense budgets.

13 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That'll learn 'em, and none too soon. 

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 9.52.14 AM.png

Then buy those same commercial Chinese goods on credit. So they can afford those expensive knock-off military products.

Oh what a tangled web we weave:

"President Biden’s daughter-in-law Hallie Biden was among several family members who pocketed payouts after a Hunter Biden associate received a $3 million wire payment from a Chinese energy company, a House committee revealed Thursday.

Biden family members received more than $1 million in payments over a three-month period after the Chinese wire transfer cleared, according to a memo detailing the payments issued by the House Oversight and Accountability Committee.

Several payments were also sent to companies associated with Mr. Biden’s brother James Biden and son Hunter Biden in addition to Hallie Biden. An unknown account identified only as “Biden” also received transfers from the company owned by Hunter Biden associate Rob Walker in the months after the $3 million wire cleared in 2017."