MacV

Jump weight

I weighed 240 Jan 1st of last year. Down to 180, grinding it out just like you. Once I dropped the weight, I decided to pick up skydiving. Let me just say you will not be disappointed. Started skydiving 3 months ago and just finished jump 25 today. Being in shape feels great, doing things like skydiving knowing you couldn't have done it before is the best reward ever! Good luck on your skydive!

Ok guys, I am still fighting to get to 180. I did not make my goal of 180 from 300 at Christmas 2013. As my food addiction won out over the holidays and I gained weight, only 7 pounds. I am still grinding and only have about 12 pounds to lose to make my goal. I will do it. The weather has been crappy and anytime a person loses over 18 % body weight things get crazy with cold weather. It tells the body hey its cold put on more insulation to stay warm and that being said it's harder to loose plus when the weather sucks it's harder to get out and grind it off. Not to mention all the wonderful food we enjoy at Mom's, and grandmom's etc during the fun Holiday seasons. I could jump now and maybe I should! But My original goal is to jump at 180, it's just a mind thingey but that is it for me. BP is norm, clorestral is 139 no high pre diabetic numbers. I feel great and God bless all you Skydivers, I hope to become a skydiver this spring. Pics of my jump will be posted….not that anyone really wants to see another boring tj. ;)

Dude, even if after all this you were to decide that skydiving is OK, but it's not really all that -- you're still set up to be able to do anything you want to, and "want to" can include a whole lot of things that it might not have a year ago. One of the challenges now is to live a lifestyle that makes it easier (i.e. enjoy more active things, don't just exercise to stay skinny, do things that are active that you enjoy).

Congratulations on all the hard work. You've changed your life.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Your tandem will be everything you expected. I'd done every crazy, fun, illegal, dangerous, stupid and/or fattening thing I could think of prior to my tandem, but skydiving is the one thing that lived up to the hype. And every single tandem I've met who wanted it like you want it landed with a huge silly grin that lasted hours. Especially ME!

At 344 pounds of unhappy fatness I saw a great skydiving scene on the bigscreen and it flipped my switch. I documented my eating, started exercising, gradually ate better, and after "doing it on my own" for 45 pounds I then joined weight watchers online to automate all that junk.

14 months later at 250 pounds I brought a few friends with me for a tandem and it blew my fragile little mind, I was F'ing hooked in the first 5 seconds of freefall. I told the tandem instructor I'd be back when I lost more weight, he was very cool about it but thought to himself "yeah right". (How do I know he thought that? I jump with him now!!)

At 225 pounds I called the DZ on a Tuesday, surprised the guy by saying right away "I'd like to sign up for AFF first jump course on Saturday". Took him a minute to realize I'd already thought about it for a little while ;) Like 2 damn years.

Skydiving has been everything I dreamed and 10x more. The sky isn't the limit, there IS NO limit, no end to new things to do, ever. So save that money you aren't spending on crappy food so you'll have it for AFF (and the beer you'll happily buy for your big firsts). Haha there used to be so many normal things I couldn't do, now I always smile when I run up stairs or I land my canopy in a pile of dust and look up to see all the nervous tandems and spectators who couldn't even imagine doing what I can do. Skydiving gave me the confidence that years of being fat had taken away. Every jump pushing me challenging me, until I was forced to recognize that I wasn't the 344lb guy anymore, I was a skydiver, I did things I once thought impossible.

Been 7 years now. The other nutjob skydivers that are now my family, well that's the best bonus ever, I never saw it coming. You'll fit right in, the kind of people who decide pay a lot of money and work hard to start jumping from F'ing planes (at our age!) have all got a cool point of view and usually a story or three. So bring that "get it done" spirit, the positive attitude, some love and good vibes and join us, feel the power of the dark side!

Either way you ROCK and there is so much to enjoy even if you don't become a regular skydiver. Sure, skydiving is awesome, going to Africa is cool (can't really do that at 344 lbs) but being healthy is like being another person and it's FREE, even saves money! Not many people get to live as a different person!

Edited: to be less stupid after I read the whole thread..

I totally understand your post. The flipped switch moment, well for me it was like a light bulb turn on moment. We are on the same page. Thank you for validating my journey back to life. I hope maybe some day we could jump! I will jump soon. B|

MacV

I totally understand your post. The flipped switch moment, well for me it was like a light bulb turn on moment. We are on the same page. Thank you for validating my journey back to life. I hope maybe some day we could jump! I will jump soon. B|

Very cool that we share this rare experience brother! Didn't mean to hijack your thread with my long post, glad to see you understood where I'm coming from. I'm sure you understand the enthusiasm, I was (and am) so stoked to hear of your incredible success! "A journey back to life", definitely. A perfect way to put it, I'll be adding that insight to my list of quotes.

And hell yes it would be awesome to get a few jumps with ya! Another great thing about skydiving is Boogies! Big skydive parties, tons of fun jumps, and a chance to catch up with old friends who've moved or people you know from online!

The weather is getting better, I think that tandem jump is calling your name!

Best to you Richard, you can do it!

Down to 230# now. I'm hating dragging around a 280 base canopy. I'm not looking forward to flying my 169 any more either. I've got to get back to SDSM and quit jumping out of the plane I own interest in at G*i**s, Texas. But I'd be letting 3 other guys and a pilot down. However I'm sick and tired of 20 min plane rides to 10K. We're not supposed to be doing it, but hey....what the heck, eh?

Best-
Richard

Can I just say I LOVE this thread! Kudos to everyone above!

I did my first 16 jumps in 2006, before being grounded by weather and work. By the time spring came around, I was over jump weight, and never got back up. Fast forward several years, and I've moved to Florida. A chance encounter with a jumper in April renewed the spark, and I was jonesing to get back in the sky, but, also at 245 lbs. So, I renewed my USPA and started hitting any nearby drop zones to build that drive. Down to 234 so far, but I will get there!

By the way, anyone tracking a running total for this thread?