MacV

Jump weight

I have to date lost 76 lb.s. I weighed in at 300 lb.s as of Jan. 1st. 2013. I have wanted to skydive for over 20 years but I got turned away for being overweight. They said , with a smerk.....come back when you lose a hundered pounds. Well to hell with them I'm not coming back after I lose a hundred pounds, I going down to 180 lb.s and that will be a loss of 120 lb.s. I hope to make my goal by the spring of 2014, and I will do it. Then I will do a tandem jump.In the end I will win, I will over come. Hell I may even get my license how far can I go? The sky is my limit. MacV............>:(

MacV

I have to date lost 76 lb.s. I weighed in at 300 lb.s as of Jan. 1st. 2013. I have wanted to skydive for over 20 years but I got turned away for being overweight. They said , with a smerk.....come back when you lose a hundered pounds. Well to hell with them I'm not coming back after I lose a hundred pounds, I going down to 180 lb.s and that will be a loss of 120 lb.s. I hope to make my goal by the spring of 2014, and I will do it. Then I will do a tandem jump.In the end I will win, I will over come. Hell I may even get my license how far can I go? The sky is my limit. MacV............>:(

I wish more people with excess weight could find motivation like you!

What are you? You are awesome. Go do that tandem! You've overcome something way more dangerous than skydiving: obesity.

so, congrats on your accomplishments!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I weighed in at 245 on my first AFF jump. Another few pounds and I wouldn't have been able to go. Skydiving provided the incentive I needed to start losing weight. I'm down to 210 now and am hoping to shed a few more pounds, but I'm also pretty happy with 210.

You could probably go on a tandem or AFF jump now if you sitting around 220-230.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I weighed in at 230 at my heaviest and am down to 190 these days. Skydiving has been my motivation for losing the weight so I could have a good fall range.

My advise, make sure you meet the dz's weight requirement and treat yourself. What you've done is quite an accomplishment. If you continue to lose weight treat yourself to something else (AFF, motorcycle, new golf clubs, whatever)

Good on you!

My brother was in a somewhat similar boat – skydiving wasn't his goal, but I told him that as a present if he got down to 230 I'd buy him a tandem or his AFF first jump. Should be done about springtime as well.
cavete terrae.

Having a real, personal reason to lose the weight is so important. I wanted to be able to climb to the Statue of Liberty's crown (over 350 steps, most in a teeeny spiral staircase) with my daughter. Got from 235 to 130 pounds. Have an amazing photo of the two of us at the Crown, with the harbor visible out the window, smiling like crazy.

That was 5 years ago. I have worked to keep the weight off, and have ended up seeing a lot more options open for me at a healthy weight. One was my tandem skydive the end of June...which let me to AFF training and the pursuit of my license.

I'm stuck with the end of season (and gallons of rain falling this weekend)...so it may be spring before I reach my goal...but this is something I never imagined I'd be doing.

It won't be the easiest thing to do, getting that weight off. It took time to get it on, and it will take time to get it off...but keep your goal and your dream in mind...it's worth it.

I weighed 265 lbs on the day of my first jump but lost down to 185 within the next 4-5 months. Skydiving was a great motivation for me as well.
Unfortunately over the years I gained the weight back plus much more and lost it and gained it and lost it and gained it.
Most recently I have lost 120 lbs and feel so much better. Obviously, it positively impacts my skydiving as well.
With all that said, I was able to skydive even at my heaviest (310 lbs), I just had to use equipment rated for the weight and it does exist. Most DZ's simply don't have student gear that can handle the heavier students, but it isn't impossible. There are DZ's in the US that can handle larger jumpers. Of course, even they have their limits.

Your story rings familiar. 6 years ago I was 310. Lost 70 lbs and did my first jump course and now 280 jumps later I am maintaining a strong and healthy weight.

Skydiving was a big part of losing weight which no doubt added years to my life.

Way to go.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672