A-73988

Small mesh slider question

Hey guys,

I have a Flik2 and am looking for a small mesh slider but it looks like apex have them on back order. My question is, will it work if I get a slider from a different brand for the same size canopy? Would a slider for a Hayduke or OSP2 work for a Flik2 assuming they are the same size? 

Sliders are specific to the canopy.  If you are mixing and matching sliders, you are a test jumper.  If you're going to do that, you should definitely make a substantial number of test jumps from an aircraft to verify the function of the slider.

If you can find the dimensions of the fine mesh slider, you can probably just have one made by your local rigger.

Compare the measurements of the Apex slider to the other sliders available to you. You might find one that is very close.

My experience is there's a fair bit of wiggle room in slider sizes, but as Tom said above, always best to test somewhere safe before earning a red card at Brento.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluhdow said:

Compare the measurements of the Apex slider to the other sliders available to you. You might find one that is very close.

My experience is there's a fair bit of wiggle room in slider sizes, but as Tom said above, always best to test somewhere safe before earning a red card at Brento.

Sliders are traditionally measured at the middle. Span is measured at mid-chord and chord is measured at mid-span. Apply 5 pounds of tension to remove any wrinkles. You can install a slider made by ABC Corporation on a canopy made by XYZ Corp. as long as dimensions are similar.

Consult your friendly, local rigger about the finer points of grommet size, aspect-ratio, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riggerrob said:

You can install a slider made by ABC Corporation on a canopy made by XYZ Corp. as long as dimensions are similar.

100% agreed.

It will be challenging determining slider dimensions (access to info, not actually measuring)