JerryBaumchen

Basic Income

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

When tax cuts are given out to wealthy Americans, do politicians worry that those people will waste the money? Or do they just let the free market decide how the money will be spent.

Gotta support the luxury yacht industry.  Poor people are just undeserving, however.

12 hours ago, gowlerk said:

It sounds like a lot of people here are assuming the poor people are mostly all undeserving and low quality people drug addicts alcoholics not really deserving or really trustworthy.

How will they massage their own ego otherwise?

And yes, lots of leftists do it too. Which is why UBI will never succeed, unfortunately. Too many fucking egos at stake.

14 hours ago, billvon said:

None of those programs are UBI.  

Everyone agrees with that.  By the same token, assistance given is better than poverty-induced starvation or homelessness.

But assistance is given now through a multitude of programs.  I agree that some people need help from time to time to get back on their feet.  To just throw more money at the problem seems like a bad idea.

34 minutes ago, airdvr said:

But assistance is given now through a multitude of programs.  I agree that some people need help from time to time to get back on their feet.  To just throw more money at the problem seems like a bad idea.

But you aren’t saying anything. You could easily have said cutting food stamps is a bad idea. Why in your view is a UBI a bad idea? What would you do otherwise? Are the current suite of offerings too little or too much? 

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

But assistance is given now through a multitude of programs.

Of course.  And you listed a tiny subset of programs there that provide direct and indirect assistance to people here in the US.  Roads.  Police.  Military.  ATC.  The NTSB.  Healthcare for veterans. 

I agree that some people need help from time to time to get back on their feet.  To just throw more money at the problem seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, that's what I said.

7 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I know the site went through an upgrade recently, but it would be nice if we had multiple options for 'liking' a post.

The 'laugh' emoji would come in handy for the trolls.

I'd prefer an animated eye-rolling emoji. Just sayin'

Wendy P.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I'd prefer an animated eye-rolling emoji. Just sayin'

Wendy P.

That would also be appropriate.

I can think of a few others.

On FB chat, there is 'love' (red heart), laugh, wow, cry, mad and 'thumb up' as standard responses. You can pick more, but you have to go find them.

I'm just thinking of the standard ones for this.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

A lot of comments miss what I think is an underlying fact of the concept of UBI, which is around lack of employment due to automation etc. Maybe there is enough of a shift towards other jobs and it won't lead to a net loss of jobs, but what if that is not the case. I think that is where the concept of UBI comes in.