hech117

GoPro rules and why.

Doug_Davis

People in this thread just sound old.

And there you have it folks. The youtube generation has spoken. Time for us old farts to get out of the way and let progress happen.

Sorry for impeding everyone's "look at me" status on social media.

:(
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm cool with that. Survived nearly 10 years in this sport in part by getting more conservative the longer I jump because the longer I jump the more I understand the myriad ways this sport and the people in it (myself included) can fuck me up or kill me. And I am a lousy patient, so I'd rather avoid it altogether. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

billvon

>People in this thread just sound old.

And there's a reason we got to _be_ old skydivers. (Sadly, some people didn't.)

Sangi said almost the exact same thing.

He was getting aggressive under canopy, doing everything the "Old Guys" told him not to.

But he was 'different.' He was part of the "New Generation," who 'learned faster' and didn't need to be held back by those "Old Guy" rules.

He learned that he was wrong.
Unfortunately the price he paid for the lesson was pretty damned high. [:/]
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Don't you hope that you can be an old skydiver someday too?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Doug_Davis

Yep... and they've been flying circles around young pups for years. B|

Look, if "People in this thread just sound old." is your best argument here, put the camera away and go make a couple hundred jumps with some old farts. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Doug_Davis

***In Germany, there are no b/c/d licenses, the rule is 100 jumps.

The idea that most of the footage on is wasted is pfft. So what? That's what happens when you film real life, you film for hours to get a few seconds of great footage, pull what you want and throw the rest away. How many months do you think a Nat Geo documentarian has to film to get a few perfect seconds of a cheetah chasing down a gazelle in just the right composition? How many rolls of film/memory cards do they go through for that perfect cover image? How many jumps is the perfect picture worth?

I won't say it doesn't happen, but I've yet (in all my year in the sport) to see a fun jumper care more about the perfect shot than about the jump. I have seen some really awesome shots that were gotten incidentally though, and I've seen a lot of boogie compilation videos that pull maybe 3-5 seconds of "ok" footage from a single jump to add to the video. In the end it's about being social and sharing the experience, not about turning out product or being super cool.

I've also seen just about every jumper at my home DZ with a Drift or GoPro or other low profile camera using a mounted remote to control it, taking out even more of the distraction factor. It's nice to not have to wonder what mode you're in or whether you're flashing.

sometimes what can be easy on the ground can be tricky in the air

Doesn't this apply to the whole sport? How is it that we trust students to do their EPs or to find their pilot chute?

+1
The new cameras arent that tricky.

Oh my gosh they were fooling with buttons on the plane?!? Is that taking important time away from doing the proper skydiver fist pound/handshake or something? Which is all I see happening on 99% of flights? (Other than the occasional safety and handle check)

You need to get at least 3 Go Pros and wear them on every jump... I can't wait to see your YouTube masterpiece.

airtwardo

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3745669#3745669 :ph34r::P

My fucking gawd, this was a great post! I don't know how I missed back when.

Ouch, Andy. Still as froggy as you were in these posts? :S
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Doug_Davis

For a good chunk of my skydiving career I was racking up another 200 jumps every few months. And no, not instructing, coaching, or working for the dropzone, just fun jumping and jumping with my teams. The "young people" in this thread sound like a bunch of impatient cry-babies.

[inline "whambulance.jpg"]

Iago

******In Germany, there are no b/c/d licenses, the rule is 100 jumps.

The idea that most of the footage on is wasted is pfft. So what? That's what happens when you film real life, you film for hours to get a few seconds of great footage, pull what you want and throw the rest away. How many months do you think a Nat Geo documentarian has to film to get a few perfect seconds of a cheetah chasing down a gazelle in just the right composition? How many rolls of film/memory cards do they go through for that perfect cover image? How many jumps is the perfect picture worth?

I won't say it doesn't happen, but I've yet (in all my year in the sport) to see a fun jumper care more about the perfect shot than about the jump. I have seen some really awesome shots that were gotten incidentally though, and I've seen a lot of boogie compilation videos that pull maybe 3-5 seconds of "ok" footage from a single jump to add to the video. In the end it's about being social and sharing the experience, not about turning out product or being super cool.

I've also seen just about every jumper at my home DZ with a Drift or GoPro or other low profile camera using a mounted remote to control it, taking out even more of the distraction factor. It's nice to not have to wonder what mode you're in or whether you're flashing.

sometimes what can be easy on the ground can be tricky in the air

Doesn't this apply to the whole sport? How is it that we trust students to do their EPs or to find their pilot chute?

+1
The new cameras arent that tricky.

Oh my gosh they were fooling with buttons on the plane?!? Is that taking important time away from doing the proper skydiver fist pound/handshake or something? Which is all I see happening on 99% of flights? (Other than the occasional safety and handle check)

Yep, we're old and we don't like cleaning up the mess.

Well maybe.... if there is great carnage Go Pro video... its not that bad that the mess can be overlooked.

wmw999

Don't you hope that you can be an old skydiver someday too?

Wendy P.

Im 42 and been jumping 20+ years. I am old.
But Im also willing to fairly and accurately assess new technology without my age and resistance to change making me view it as worse than it is. (ie AADs, RSLs, Skyhooks, etc etc)

Are some people distracted by cameras? Sure. Some people are distracted by their navel lint and butterflies as well. Generally Darwin takes care of them. ;)

Amazon

I can't wait to see your YouTube masterpiece.

You'll be waiting awhile. I jump for my own pleasure. Not to post videos on Youtube. But quite honestly Im more worried about them as an entanglement hazard for a bridle or PC, than I am as a distraction.

Edit-Although in the interest of honesty, if you look closely at my profile pic to the left thats a GoPro on my helmet paddling the Class 5 Gauley river in WV. I learned not to let distractions bother me a long long time ago.

Blue skies all.

Doug_Davis

***Don't you hope that you can be an old skydiver someday too?

Wendy P.

Im 42 and been jumping 20+ years. I am old.
But Im also willing to fairly and accurately assess new technology without my age and resistance to change making me view it as worse than it is. (ie AADs, RSLs, Skyhooks, etc etc)

Are some people distracted by cameras? Sure. Some people are distracted by their navel lint and butterflies as well. Generally Darwin takes care of them.

Amazon

I can't wait to see your YouTube masterpiece.

You'll be waiting awhile. I jump for my own pleasure. Not to post videos on Youtube. But quite honestly Im more worried about them as an entanglement hazard for a bridle or PC, than I am as a distraction.

Edit-Although in the interest of honesty, if you look closely at my profile pic to the left thats a GoPro on my helmet paddling the Class 5 Gauley river in WV. I learned not to let distractions bother me a long long time ago.

Blue skies all.

Its ok... I lost the first friend to the "getting cool video" back in the 70's.. I am really old and decrepit... the decrepitude is the penalty for surviving.. I am sure I will probably lose more friends before I am ready for my long dirt nap.
I have lots of cool video.... but I am still here.

You are an expert kayaker, and kayaking takes sustained attention and focus over a significant period of time, with particular attention to bigger rapids. Because you're involved in the river both before and after the big parts, the chance that you'll just put it on and forget it goes up.

You are not (regardless of when you made your first jump) an expert skydiver, at least if your profile is accurate. Skydiving takes attention and focus for a short period of time. Because you go from airplane to jump in an instant, the camera seems to be more distracting to many people, at least based on the anecdotal evidence in DSE's file.

I made my first camera jump when you were about 5 years old. I had 70 or so jumps. It was a handheld Instamatic. It was also my first cutaway. Because I hadn't planned, I landed with the camera and both ripcords. Sounds good, right? Except that I'd always rehearsed dropping the ripcords. Since I had the camera looped around my wrist (brilliant thought there), I just kept putting my hand through stuff automatically, without thought.

I was lucky, and didn't have anything tangled. But I prefer to trust as little as possible to luck in skydiving, because the time margin for error is small. And, particularly before the days of AAD, the penalty for error could be exceedingly large.

I'm less worried about camera getting in the way of good canopy performance, because the jumper has already gone through the freefall part of the jump, and generally has switched focus within the jump.

There are totally people who have the ability to jump camera earlier than the stated 100/200 jumps (depending on where you are). There are also totally people who have the ability to drive at 10. But they're still not licensed, are they?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

hech117

Hi guys I was wondering what are the reasons for only allowing GoPro use after 200 jumps?

I am compiling research for my design project and need the reasoning behind it.

Also does anyone know where to find it in the SIM?

Thanks,
Hech

Then you should do the research and find it in the SIM.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Conversation I had at the DZ last weekend with new member I'd never met before (same experience as I have, about 140 jumps):

R: "Jeff, why don't you have a camera on your hemet?"

Me: "I'm below the 200-jump minimum recommendation from the USPA."

R: "But they don't enforce that here, so you can use one."

Me: "I'm below the 200-jump minimum recommendation from the USPA. And I don't really want one anyway."

R: *blank stare* ..... *turns away to talk to somebody else*

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth