hech117

GoPro rules and why.

SIM, section 6-8 (pag. 140) on the 2014-1015 version.

Two main reasons: entanglement and distraction factor (both before and during the jump).
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

hech117

Hi guys I was wondering what are the reasons for only allowing GoPro use after 200 jumps?

I am compiling research for my design project and need the reasoning behind it.

Also does anyone know where to find it in the SIM?

Thanks,
Hech

#1. There is no recommendation specifically addressing GoPro use, there is one regarding all camera jumps. This would include GoPro's.
#2. Its not 200 jumps. The recommendation is to have a C license, which takes a minimum of 200 jumps.
#3. Its not a USPA rule or BSR, its a recommendation. Some DZ's follow it, some dont.

Cameras can be a distraction regardless of how many jumps you got. A couple years ago I watch 2 jumpers with over 300 jumps each so distracted by getting a gopro turned on and recording that from 10000ft AGL to their actual exit from the plane (13000ft AGL) that is all they concentrated on.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

There is a good sticky (i think it's still there...) in the photo/video forum that has a list of small format incidents/issues. Many of them are people fucking themselves up or putting themselves at risk due to being distracted by the camera, and not paying attention to what they needed to be paying attention to.

edit to add the link=- http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3894693;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Zlew

There is a good sticky (i think it's still there...) in the photo/video forum that has a list of small format incidents/issues. Many of them are people fucking themselves up or putting themselves at risk due to being distracted by the camera, and not paying attention to what they needed to be paying attention to.

edit to add the link=- http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3894693;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Incredibly helpful Zlew, Thanks:)

CSpenceFLY

I find it amusing that they will give someone a coach rating but don't find them competent enough to jump with a camera.:D

For better or worse, in Canada the camera rules are less restrictive, so newbie coaches or jumpmasters do get to video their people. Which is a big aid to their work.

Exactly! As a coach, one should be able to film the trainee!
IMHO, people who get distracted because the camera, they will be distracted from something else anyway, no matter what activity they are doing, skydiving or not.
Just my 2 cents.
The mind is like a parachute: If you don't open it, it doesn't work.

I agree that coaches should be able to film the people they are training. I also think that a coach with a camera should have received formal video training to be able to use it.

There's nothing like seeing how it can distract you in a simulated situation, to help guard against having it actually do so in a real one.

Maybe the video training would include an inserted video camera error, or a student with altitude problems (so they don't stay in frame), or something else that would test the focus. Just as coach training includes simulated errors.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I agree that coaches should be able to film the people they are training. I also think that a coach with a camera should have received formal video training to be able to use it.

There's nothing like seeing how it can distract you in a simulated situation, to help guard against having it actually do so in a real one.

Maybe the video training would include an inserted video camera error, or a student with altitude problems (so they don't stay in frame), or something else that would test the focus. Just as coach training includes simulated errors.

Wendy P.

This is exactly what was proposed to USPA. And is part of the camera course I run here.

CSpenceFLY

I find it amusing that they will give someone a coach rating but don't find them competent enough to jump with a camera.:D

Doesn't happen here :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I an not so sure. I am an AFFI/TI with 1400 jumps. I wear a sony video camera on every AFF and Coach jump. I usualy turn it to the stanbdby mode at the 2 minute call and ON at "Door". If there is any problem from that point on, I stop f'ing with the camera and concentrate on the jump at hand. I don't need video to debrief; it is nice to have but not required. Fooling with the camera after that will just un-focus me from what I need to be concentrating on. Some dude with less than 200 jumps; I am not so sure they would quit working the camera problem and focus on the real issue. Just my opinion. And my DZ requires 200 jumps for Go Pros or any other camera -- we treat it like a BSR.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

CSpenceFLY

Coaches have been trained to observe and report. They have not been trained to jump with a camera without endangering themselves or others. Seems pretty self-explanatory why the two ideas are mutually exclusive

DSE

I've been considering adding a requirement to my Coach Course; Candidates have to wear the "big" helmet camera rig. :P
Thoughts?

You actually jumped that thing???:o:S
I thought that was just a gag.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

CSpenceFLY

more amusing, or not, is that some coaches are not competent in some of the basic skydiving principles and now they are training more people to be less competent than they are
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

TheCaptain

Cameras can be a distraction regardless of how many jumps you got. A couple years ago I watch 2 jumpers with over 300 jumps each so distracted by getting a gopro turned on and recording that from 10000ft AGL to their actual exit from the plane (13000ft AGL) that is all they concentrated on.

And you said something to them?