phantomII

Incidents and lessons to be learned

First off, I'm sick of the sentence "We need more information about the incident so we can all learn from it"

I've been around for a while now and looking back at the last few years no real new lessons showed up.
Every incident that happened was basically a repeat.

I know, new guys are showing up and they want to learn how to survive and what to do and what not. And I know that no training can provide them with all the information.

Why don't we just make a list of all the lessons we already learned?

Additionally it would keep the Incident Forum really short.
I.e. Incident ABC is a repeat of lesson 21, Incident DEF is a repeat of lesson 56 and Incident GHI is a slight variation of lesson 89.

This way every incident requires only 2 or 3 posts and everyone who wants to learn can just read the list and does not have to wait for an incident for a specific lesson to come up.

Just my thoughts on a rainy day.......

I'm more of a mind that posting video of said incidents would be a better learning tool. I like NickDG's approach of a bounce book as well.
Since some think YouTube is a training tool, we might as well post the aftermath on YouTube too.

Truthfully, I've learned more from watching some of the 'Blooper' vids I've collected watching people do stupid stuff than most any conversation or written report I've been presented with.

Example: 1.) I have a video somewhere at home of a customer getting a save from one of my reserve repacks. He had a spinning canopy, with line twists, on opening. He pulled around 3.5K which gave him altitude to burn but he fought that malfunction for a long while. I kept it to show folks that if he had pulled lower or if he had a longer than normal snivel he would have burnt his usable altitude to cutaway safely.

2.) Strong's 'side spin phenomenon' - extremely useful!

3.) Low hook vids...
Woot Woot!

DSE

I'm more of a mind that posting video of said incidents would be a better learning tool. I like NickDG's approach of a bounce book as well.
Since some think YouTube is a training tool, we might as well post the aftermath on YouTube too.

Watching "A Bridge to Nowhere" on youtube was the last in a series of experiences that have led me to stay away from BASE at least until my children are raised.

format

The problem there is, to many people you have to explain what are they watching, you know:
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

For real. There's a bunch of people right now, just for instance in one of the S&T threads thinking (or trying to be convinced anyway) that they are seeing a TM purposefully and maliciously grabbing boobs, when it is actually fairly clear... if you know what you are looking at - that couldn't be really, much farther from the truth!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

grimmie

You can show people hundreds of youtube videos of people crashing from speeding, drunk driving and texting, but they will still do it all, because it would/could never happen to them.

"Mad Skillz"
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

theplummeter

Watching "A Bridge to Nowhere" on youtube was the last in a series of experiences that have led me to stay away from BASE at least until my children are raised.

That video is intense. Certainly has made me think twice about ever trying base, and even getting into it in the future. I'll try it once eventually, but that's all I'll need.

theplummeter

Got a link? A Youtube search for "A Bridge to Nowhere" even adding "BASE" brings up mostly Minecraft vids...

cgriff

***Watching "A Bridge to Nowhere" on youtube was the last in a series of experiences that have led me to stay away from BASE at least until my children are raised.

Got a link? A Youtube search for "A Bridge to Nowhere" even adding "BASE" brings up mostly Minecraft vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxhlhmlwSB4
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******Watching "A Bridge to Nowhere" on youtube was the last in a series of experiences that have led me to stay away from BASE at least until my children are raised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxhlhmlwSB4

Probably should have advised something along the lines of

"WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT!!"

when linking to that vid. Not everybody wants to see people go splat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very educational bit of film but still, proper warning to those who might click.

A rather somber epilogue to the film is that I am under the impression the narrator/filmmaker/author himself has suffered very serious injuries (reportedly tumbled on exit, pulled and hit talus...broken back, broken legs etc) in a wingsuit BASE mishap in July of 2013.

I've never seen Al Frisbey's book, but have started one of my own.
Even that wasn't enough to persuade a couple of guys from their path that are now dead.

"A Bridge to Nowhere" is exactly what I'm thinking of in terms of showing the aftermath. And you're right, even then there are those that will still chase their own way down but at least you'd know you'd tried to help them slow down.

There's really only one lesson that everyone can agree on -- "don't do stupid shit"

The problem is agreeing on what's stupid, and by whom :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Why don't we just make a list of all the lessons we already learned?

You can make lists and post them everywhere. The problem is the people that need to learn from those lists don’t believe it can happen to them. All the rules that people love to bad mouth are in a way a list of the lessons learned.

"It is tragic to become a statistic because of some new set of circumstances, but it is unforgivable if it has occurred before." Dan Poynter 1971

And things haven’t changed since Dan said it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

wmw999

There's really only one lesson that everyone can agree on -- "don't do stupid shit"

The problem is agreeing on what's stupid, and by whom :)

Wendy P.

Funny, you just pretty much recited rule #1 at Skydive USA - "no stupid shit". As for what is stupid shit, I don't know about you but I know it when I see it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

rohicks

***Watching "A Bridge to Nowhere" on youtube was the last in a series of experiences that have led me to stay away from BASE at least until my children are raised.

That video is intense. Certainly has made me think twice about ever trying base, and even getting into it in the future. I'll try it once eventually, but that's all I'll need.

I don't like when people say things like that.
BASE is not something you "try once".

A tandemjump is something you can try once.
Skydiving requries dedication.
And BASE much more.

So either you work really hard untill you have all the skills and knowledge or don't "try it once".

Just my opinion.

Hellis

I don't like when people say things like that.
BASE is not something you "try once".

A tandemjump is something you can try once.
Skydiving requries dedication.
And BASE much more.

So either you work really hard untill you have all the skills and knowledge or don't "try it once".

Just my opinion.

&_& Of course I can. I'll give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. There are many people who have tried skydiving and realized it's not for them. Stop being so sensitive.