riggerrob

PIA Symposium 2023 instructor, tandem seminar

"Where have all the tandem instructors gone?" was a seminar hosted by USPA Tandem Examiner Angie Aragon. She asked why the industry - as a whole - are suffering shortages of tandem instructors.

The first batch do not renew their tandem ratings after the first year or the first 3 years after they learn how much hard work is involved in doing tandems.

Part of the problem is lack of opportunities for progression beyond merely "hauling meat."

At the worst DZs, TIs are looked down upon as "less than" full-fledged skydivers because they lack the skills to be anything more than "meat haulers." Mind you these "haters" are like schoolyard bullies in that they don't understand the big picture. These "haters" forget that it is tandem students who pay for all the fast, turbine airplanes. 

Angie addressed 3 phases of TI maturation: first 25 jumps, ..... up to 150 jumps. It still takes many TIs 150 jumps to feel truly comfortable and professional by 150 jumps. It definitely took me more than 100 jumps to "find my groove."

Even refining their personal "work flow" has always been a bit of a gray area that new TIs are supposed to "some how magically" acquire on their own. Over the first 25 jumps, they are just magically expected to perfect their own personal work flow: greeting students, ground school, dressing, aircraft procedures, freefall, canopy flight, landings and un-dressing/debriefing.

Leon - from Skydive Wasatch, Utah - presented some of his ideas about how to continue challenging TIs to compete amongst themselves on freefall/droguefall skills and accuracy.

Another major challenge is how to get young TIs up to speed to do handy-cam videos. We all agree that the original Australian requirement to make 500 tandems before strapping on a handy-cam is more than necessarry. I think USPA and the American manufacturers dropped that to a minimum of 200 jumps before strapping on a handy-cam.

Mr. Fullerton from Vancouver Island, Canada suggested a mentorship program to establish the basics and ease young TIs into the handy-cam side with less than 200 tandems. Maybe the first step is senior TIs sharing their personal work flow with junior TIs.

Should that work flow be nailed to the wall in the staff locker room?

My personal work flow starts when I inform manifest that I have arrived at the DZ. Then I do a pre-flight inspection on my first tandem rig and hang my helmet (containing goggles, gloves, camera and altimeter) on the 3D ring. Then I pre-flight my camera. Then I go for a pee and don my pants, shoes, etc. I confirm that my jumpsuit pocket contains breath mints, spare camera memory card and maybe a spare camera battery. Greet student, teach ground school and send them to the toilet before dressing. Walk to plane, another gear check before boarding. Assist them with seat-belts. 4,000 feet hook-up and another round of gear checks. Shortly before jump-run, I do one more round of "hooks and handles" checks then turn on my camera. Exit, toss drogue, more handles checks, interact with student, etc.

We would like to listen to opinions and suggestions from other TIs and DZOs.

Dear MODERATORS, please move this thread to the tandem forum.

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence

On 3/4/2023 at 2:31 PM, riggerrob said:

Maybe the first step is senior TIs sharing their personal work flow with junior TIs.

And with that should come recognition by the DZ that the senior is doing more -- it shouldn't just be yet another job that's piled on top of the tandem load.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

This is Leon mentioned by OP. We'll be doing an informal first annual Tandem Instructor Gauntlet, Olympics, Boogie, Wacky Fun-Time Training Combine(Name clearly still up in the air), to prepare for our season, this weekend. Myself and my instructors will be participating in a series of jumps and activities in order to dust off our skills, build team cohesion, and develop the concept of a TI competition. I'll be reporting back to the group with how the event goes. If anyone would like to contribute ideas feel free to drop them here, or contact the DZ here

• Like 1

You didn't mention time limits on that work flow. Most of the turbine places work at 40-50 minute turns. That included everything you noted in the workflow plus downloading video, presenting certificates, and stowing brakes and stretching the canopy for packing. Sometimes it isn't the work, it's the pace. I know a lot of very experienced TI's that quit when the pace became unsustainable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimjumper said:

You didn't mention time limits on that work flow. Most of the turbine places work at 40-50 minute turns. That included everything you noted in the workflow plus downloading video, presenting certificates, and stowing brakes and stretching the canopy for packing. Sometimes it isn't the work, it's the pace. I know a lot of very experienced TI's that quit when the pace became unsustainable.

Sometimes manifest pushes TIs too fast.

If pushed too fast, TIs start skipping steps and making mistakes.

I draw the line at running to meet the plane.

My fastest walking pace is about the same as most people's slow-jog, and I can keep up that pace all day long. If I have to run to meet a plane, that means that manifest did not think far enough ahead.