1 1
brenthutch

Queer and Climate on NPR

If your son's school is focusing on the downfalls of democracy, and highlighting being a republic instead, it sounds like they are indoctrinating their students. Just that it's in a way that you approve of.

How willing are you to pay more taxes to improve math education in Florida? Even if your son is doing well, it sounds like Floridian children in general aren't.

Wendy P.

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

If your son's school is focusing on the downfalls of democracy, and highlighting being a republic instead, it sounds like they are indoctrinating their students.

Wendy P.

Wendy we are a constitutional republic not a democracy, you should have learned that in sixth grade civics class. 

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

No one is

4 hours ago, jakee said:

You just said a third of all Americans are.

If only brent did a bit more math and reading, huh?

And my point about "argumentum ad populum" just went completely over his head. But he doesn't even read his own links so I guess that was completely predictable :rofl:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Wendy we are a constitutional republic not a democracy, you should have learned that in sixth grade civics class. 

I wasn't in the US in sixth grade, and studied the country I was living in. Interesting how you don't address my actual points, though; the focus on the failures of democracy, and the question about willingness to invest in math education.

Do you at least accept that we use democratic methods to elect our representatives, especially on a local basis?

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

The two are not mutually exclusive, as you should have learned.

democracy

dɪˈmɒkrəsi

noun

a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives

If you’re going to be pedantic, you should at least be right.

47 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

My reply was in response to Wendy who said 

“focusing on the downfalls of democracy, and highlighting being a republic instead,”

In what way does that change the reality that you are wrong to state that the US is not a democracy?

Just now, brenthutch said:

My reply was in response to Wendy who said 

“focusing on the downfalls of democracy, and highlighting being a republic instead,”

And your second response, whilst she was playing rope-a-dope with you, was "Of course". A near preternatural ability to step on ones own wee-wee isn't actually a virtue, you know . At least you caught yourself this time.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

In what way does that change the reality that you are wrong to state that the US is not a democracy?

From US.gov

“While often categorized as a democracy, the United States is more accurately defined as a constitutional federal republic. What does this mean? “Constitutional” refers to the fact that government in the United States is based on a Constitution which is the supreme law of the United States. The Constitution not only provides the framework for how the federal and state governments are structured, but also places significant limits on their powers. “Federal” means that there is both a national government and governments of the 50 states. A “republic” is a form of government in which the people hold power, but elect representatives to exercise that power.”

so….not a democracy 

Edited by brenthutch

44 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

From US.gov

“While often categorized as a democracy, the United States is more accurately defined as a constitutional federal republic. What does this mean? “Constitutional” refers to the fact that government in the United States is based on a Constitution which is the supreme law of the United States. The Constitution not only provides the framework for how the federal and state governments are structured, but also places significant limits on their powers. “Federal” means that there is both a national government and governments of the 50 states. A “republic” is a form of government in which the people hold power, but elect representatives to exercise that power.”

so….not a democracy 

No, you have misunderstood. All of that means that the US is a particular type of Democracy.

Just now, brenthutch said:

I don’t see the word democracy anywhere in the government’s description of itself. 

Have a nice day!

de·moc·ra·cy

/dəˈmäkrəsē/

noun

a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

Close enough for anyone running on a Guinea Pigs wheel.  Similarly, you might argue that an assault rifle isn't a rifle or that hydrocarbons aren't carbons. Wait, scratch the last one.

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t see the word democracy anywhere in the government’s description of itself. 

And you didn’t see anywhere they said it wasn’t either. They said the USA is commonly called a democracy and they didn’t disagree. Which is no great surprise, since both the fundamental dictionary definition and popular underrating if the word ‘democracy’ both apply to the government of the USA.

Edited by jakee

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

And I didn't see the word "gun" anywhere in the Second Amendment.  So much for the right to own guns.

Have a nice day!

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

And I didn't see the word "gun" anywhere in the Second Amendment.  So much for the right to own guns.

Have a nice day!

Well, as an outsider looking in, I would say that for a non democracy you guys sure make a big deal out of your elections.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

Basically US citizens get to vote on major national issues about once every two years. A Democracy would have to vote a lot more than that ..ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! The word Democracy does NOT appear in our Constitution.

Neither do guns.  So you have no right to guns.

Thanks for clearing that up.

7 hours ago, Slim King said:

Basically US citizens get to vote on major national issues about once every two years. A Democracy would have to vote a lot more than that ..ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! The word Democracy does NOT appear in our Constitution. It does NOT appear in any of the State Constitutions. The US is not nor has ever been a Democracy!!!! Mob rule is offensive to true patriots. Two Wolves and a Sheep deciding what's for dinner!!!!

Hey Brent, this guy agrees with you. Do you think that’s a good sign or a bad sign? 

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Non sequitur 

You said that since the word "democracy" doesn't appear in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, that the US was not a democracy.

I pointed out that since the word "gun" doesn't appear in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, you have no right to own a gun.

And you see no similarity between those two arguments.

With mental skills like that, you should be running for a spot on your local republican legislature.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

You said that since the word "democracy" doesn't appear in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, that the US was not a democracy.

I pointed out that since the word "gun" doesn't appear in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, you have no right to own a gun.

And you see no similarity between those two arguments.

With mental skills like that, you should be running for a spot on your local republican legislature.

Oh please.

He should go for the big bucks and get a spot as a commentator on Fox.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Oh please.

He should go for the big bucks and get a spot as a commentator on Fox.

But I don't think he would fit in there, now that we have just learned even the Fox talking heads aren't dumb enough to believe their own bullshit.

• Like 1